Just back from HHI - So beautiful!

connorlevismom

DIS Veteran
We just got back from our first ever stay at HHI. My gosh, it is beautiful. I am from MN and to me, it seemed like having a cabin up north (although I hate cabins up noth here:lmao: ). We were in building 31 and looked out onto the marsh and could have not asked for a better view. It was so quiet that you barely knew anyone was around! The only thing that I did not really like is that the only internet you can get is up in the main lodge. That being said, it did force you to really be on vacation. We even got to meet Shadow!

The weather was perfect during the day and prettty chilly at night. But still nicer than what we have here in MN. The island in itself is really nice and there is plenty to do if you want to. We mainly shopped and ate.:cool1: We had several good meals and one not so great one. Lots of candy and fudge and of course I had to get a piece of key lime pie from Signes. It was so good!!

Kristine

I'm glad you had a good trip. HH is one of our favorites as well. We especially love mid May there, just gorgeous!!!!

Jay

Well... We're headed down there in the first week of June. :cool1: Glad you had a good time. I don't know why VB & HH are behind the Internet connection times. You are right though, it helps make you be on vacation.

:beach:

It sounds like a lovely place! Someday, we'll get there.

Bobbi:goodvibes

Glad you had a great trip!

Two weeks and we'll be there!!! :dance3: :dance3: :dance3: :dance3: It's our favorite family vacation spot. :dance3: :dance3: This will be our first time going in March. We usually go in July, when it's hot and humid. We're looking forward to a change of pace.

So glad you enjoyed one of our family's favorite places on earth! ;)

Just out of curiousity, would you mind sharing where you had those great meals and the not-so-great one, please?

I also would be interested in hearing reviews of where you ate. Isn't it a beautiful place? Did you rent bikes at all?

The only thing that I did not really like is that the only internet you can get is up in the main lodge. That being said, it did force you to really be on vacation. We even got to meet Shadow!/QUOTE]

I've been going to HH since shortly after the resort opened, and have always had internet access in every building I've stayed in. It may only be dial-up, but for $.35/call I could stay online for as long as I wanted. Not sure what you mean by the statement above.

Glad you enjoyed HH - it's one of my favorite resorts! I just wish I could get there more often.

The only thing that I did not really like is that the only internet you can get is up in the main lodge. That being said, it did force you to really be on vacation. We even got to meet Shadow!/QUOTE]

I've been going to HH since shortly after the resort opened, and have always had internet access in every building I've stayed in. It may only be dial-up, but for $.35/call I could stay online for as long as I wanted. Not sure what you mean by the statement above.

Glad you enjoyed HH - it's one of my favorite resorts! I just wish I could get there more often.

Dial up only works if you have access to a dial up provider. (I know Hargray was providing this service but I haven't used them.) Last time I was there they were talking about broadband internet service coming soon. I think I've read that they had it available in the lodge now...not sure, but something to the effect of wireless in Big Murgies? I've kept the 6.95 aol dial up account just for use at HH, but now I've upgraded laptops and I'm NOT putting aol on my new machine, so I'm hoping they've finally gotten 'real' internet now! Anyone who can spell out the details?
I'll be there in a couple of weeks and it would be nice to know in advance.

Ahh, you made me homesick, glad you had a wonderful time and yes that building is a great location.

Dial up only works if you have access to a dial up provider. (I know Hargray was providing this service but I haven't used them.) Last time I was there they were talking about broadband internet service coming soon. I think I've read that they had it available in the lodge now...not sure, but something to the effect of wireless in Big Murgies? I've kept the 6.95 aol dial up account just for use at HH, but now I've upgraded laptops and I'm NOT putting aol on my new machine, so I'm hoping they've finally gotten 'real' internet now! Anyone who can spell out the details?
I'll be there in a couple of weeks and it would be nice to know in advance.

They have free wireless in Big Murgies and at the main pool/Community Hall. You will see a lot of people with laptops hanging around the pool. I even saw on in the hot tub with his laptop. You can even pick up the wireless from Big Murgies Den in many of the units in the lodge, we were in a 1-br on the top floor of the lodge next to the elevator in December and got a usable (albeit weak and temperamental) signal. I suspect the units around the pool can pick up a signal too.

Glad to hear you enjoyed your trip:goodvibes

We were there during the last week of March last year and stayed in the main building and absolutely loved it. Just a few days ago we were discussing when we can go back. It is a wonderful place.

Chris, Jean and Patrick

Glad you enjoyed HH- it's our family favorite place to go- even the kids enjoy it as much as WDW- we call it Disney without the theme parks!! We'll be there is 3 short weeks for 8 nights- Yipeeeeeeeeeeeee:yay:

We went for New Year's and plan to do it again next year. It truly is a great place to relax. We also noticed the same thing about the internet. I hope eventually the wireless spreads to the whole resort. It was too hard to find space in Big Murgie's at night to check email.

Yes, you can get wireless in Murgie's Den so at least there was that. It was so quiet around there that I only ran into one other person on a laptop the whole time I was there.

Restaurants reviews:

The Smokehouse: DH said the ribs were awesome but I had, quite possibly, the worst burger I have ever had. I asked for it well, well, well, done and when I got it my bun was soaked with blood. Seriously, it was so gross. I thought I would be a trouper and at least take a bite but that was all that I could manage. DH took a bite as well and said it was terrible. It had absolutely NO taste.

Jump and Phils: Cute little bar but be warned, the whole place allows smoking. We went here because it is a Packer bar so thought it would be kind of cool. I grew up in Green Bay so wanted to see what it was all about. DH had a really good BLT and I had a burger. It was better than the first but still did not have much taste. It seemed that none of the meat on the island had much taste. DH said "that is like coming to Minneapolis and expecting great seafood :rotfl2: )We did have the best mozzarella sticks I have had in a really long time.

Guiseppies (sp): AWESOME PIZZA!!!!! Oh man, this pizza is the best I have ever had. I also had a wedgie that was so-so. I cannot say enough about the pizza there.

Crane's: This place was a really good place to eat. It was pretty pricey but I got a really good fillet there so I was so happy. DH had prime rib and BIL had tuna. Both said their meals were outstanding. One thing though, we called and asked what the dress code was and they said totally casual. I don't know what that means to anyone else, but to me, it meant jeans are OK. Well, we walked in and the place was full of people in dress clothes. We are 32 and we were the youngest in there by about 30 years so maybe that had something to do with it. I actually had an older gentleman look at me and then roll his eyes and shake his head. I was pretty uncomfortable but then I thought who cares. I have just as much right to eat here as he does and if he thinks my party is not suitable for a place like that, then he can just stop looking. I have issues with snobby people. We had reservations at 7:30 and by the time we left there was barely anyone there. Then we spotted younger people in jeans as well so I did not feel so bad. But next time, I will for sure wear at least khakis and a sweater.

Wild Wing Cafe: It was OK. Typical chain restaurant and we will not eat there again. I really loved eating at the non-chain places. They were so unique and charming.

The one thing that I noticed about HH and the people there. Everyone in the stores so SOOOO friendly. But every single server that I encountered (with the exception of Crane's and one server at Guiseppies) acted as if they hated their jobs and had no time for anyone. It just amazed me that people wanted a big tip for absolutely no service. I would say at most of the places we ate the server came to our table MAYBE twice to see if we needed anything or wanted a refill. I am a person who expects service if people want a tip so I was very put off by this. My BIL came to visit from Winston-Salem for a night and I told him this before we went out to eat. After the server took our order he said "you were not kidding about the servers". It became a big joke near the end of the trip.

I think those are all the places we ate. We went to Savannah one day so ate at a couple of places there.

Kristine

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter