Just back from Hilton Head - observations of a first timer

slindamood

DIS Veteran
We got home last evening from a week at Hilton Head, a first visit for us even though we have been DVC members (BWV) since 1998.

In short - we loved it! Our favorite DVC vacation ever! Three generation trip - 2 grandparents (me and DH), DD & DSIL, and DGD (18 months).

Some observations:
1. We were in 1521, dedicated 2 bedroom, just refurbished. One end of our unit had marsh view, the other was under a live oak tree. Perfect!

2. The villa was newly refurbished - I am sure we were the first to be in it. 2 nearby buildings were undergoing renovation. I like the new décor, but do not have a point of comparison.

3. The villa had a new carpet/new paint smell the first few days if we left the doors closed while we were out. We kept the balcony doors open and it aired out quickly. Temps in 70s, so fresh air was welcome!

4. The balconies are very slippery. New, and the wax/fire retardant finish needs a little weathering. DD and DGD each slipped and fell - no injuries but quite a surprise. (DGD broke her crayon, but just got out another.) Be careful.

5. We rented bicycles for the length of stay. now $30 for length of stay. (the day we arrived, 3/8, it was $25 but on the 9th went up to $30). Child carrier seats are free. We rode to the beach almost everyday taking a picnic in our baskets.
There is a new bike path nearly the entire way to the beach - off road. The directions DVC gives at check-in are out of date as they say to ride on the path that is part of the right side of the road. Don't. The new path is safer and beautiful, with a good buffer of grass and trees between the path and road. After the bridge underpass, the path is to the left of the road, then clearly crosses to the right after the bridge along the golf course.

6. New Kroger store at Shelter Cove. A few minute drive, bikeable by back road. Large, bright, great selection. Deli, freshly made sushi, starbucks, bakery, great produce and fresh fruit, fish counter, meat counter, pre-prepared foods and the usual Kroger grocery products. We found the prices the same as our Kroger at home. We were able to shop easily for picnics as well as other meals. We had some good meals and ended up eating out only once - which was best with a toddler tired from the beach.

7. Shadow - is great! We loved B'Lou's stories and DGD was just thrilled being able to give Shadow treats. B'Lou said Shadow is 8 (going on) 19.

8. We went to a campfire which the kids 8 - 12 seemed to enjoy greatly! DGD did not understand that she could not walk up to see the fire close up, so we did not stay long. That is something for a few years from now.

9. The beach house - surprised me that we really liked it. It was a good place to get DGD out of the sun and she napped on a couch. We were set up on the beach, but enjoyed going into the beach house for breaks.

10. The staff was so friendly. Need I say more?

11. We are going back next year. The biking, the beach, the quiet laid back atmosphere and just enough programming were just perfect for us. We all agreed it was one of the best vacations ever.

Great review! So glad you enjoyed your trip so much. And it is perfect timing for me as we are going for the first time over Easter and you answered a lot of my questions. Thank you!

1. We were in 1521, dedicated 2 bedroom, just refurbished. One end of our unit had marsh view, the other was under a live oak tree. Perfect!

2. The villa was newly refurbished - I am sure we were the first to be in it.

Glad you had a great time.
We visited HH approx two weeks ago , and loved it so much, we have 420 HH points going through ROFR right now ! :cool1:

We also LOVED villa 1521 ............just stayed in it, and I also thought we were the first ones to stay in that remodel. (sorry to bust your bubble, but we beat you ! ,lol. ;)). Check out 2013 Hilton Head lovers thread Page 70 for pictures of 1521 .

I loved the 14 and 15 villas. Great locations. Very private but yet very close to everything. Also the 14 and 15 villas were the only villas that I noticed that had a balcony from the second bedroom as well as the main balcony.

We also cant wait to get back to HH ...........sadly I dont think it will happen until July 2015 as we have DL and a WDW trips scheduled for this year.

4. The balconies are very slippery. New, and the wax/fire retardant finish needs a little weathering. DD and DGD each slipped and fell - no injuries but quite a surprise. (DGD broke her crayon, but just got out another.) Be careful.

Also noticed that the balconies were a bit slippery.

Did you also notice the new flooring materials had a weird felling to them ? They had such a heavy grain texture on them that it felt that in one direction they were a bit slippery (with the grain), but yet the opposite direction they were very much non-slip (against the grain)? Just something we noticed as DS liked to slide on the floor in his socks, but it only worked in one direction lol . :lmao:

Glad you had a great time.
We visited HH approx two weeks ago , and loved it so much, we have 420 HH points going through ROFR right now ! :cool1:

We also LOVED villa 1521 ............just stayed in it, and I also thought we were the first ones to stay in that remodel. (sorry to bust your bubble, but we beat you ! ,lol. ;)). Check out 2013 Hilton Head lovers thread Page 70 for pictures of 1521 .

I loved the 14 and 15 villas. Great locations. Very private but yet very close to everything. Also the 14 and 15 villas were the only villas that I noticed that had a balcony from the second bedroom as well as the main balcony.

We also cant wait to get back to HH ...........sadly I dont think it will happen until July 2015 as we have DL and a WDW trips scheduled for this year.

Thanks for taking such great care of our villa until we could get there! :thumbsup2 It looked like new. I bet we were the first to use the dryer - it had no lint at all on the lint filter - usually there is some trace left.;)

I did note the floor - in sweeping up sand, it worked to sweep in only one direction but did not realize why. we loved the second balcony - a different view than the main balcony - we will request 1521 again!

Going to check your photos now - thanks for posting.

We got home last evening from a week at Hilton Head, a first visit for us even though we have been DVC members (BWV) since 1998.

In short - we loved it! Our favorite DVC vacation ever! Three generation trip - 2 grandparents (me and DH), DD & DSIL, and DGD (18 months).

Some observations:

2. The villa was newly refurbished - I am sure we were the first to be in it. 2 nearby buildings were undergoing renovation. I like the new décor, but do not have a point of comparison.

3. The villa had a new carpet/new paint smell the first few days if we left the doors closed while we were out. We kept the balcony doors open and it aired out quickly. Temps in 70s, so fresh air was welcome!

5. We rented bicycles for the length of stay. now $30 for length of stay. (the day we arrived, 3/8, it was $25 but on the 9th went up to $30). Child carrier seats are free. We rode to the beach almost everyday taking a picnic in our baskets.
There is a new bike path nearly the entire way to the beach - off road. The directions DVC gives at check-in are out of date as they say to ride on the path that is part of the right side of the road. Don't. The new path is safer and beautiful, with a good buffer of grass and trees between the path and road. After the bridge underpass, the path is to the left of the road, then clearly crosses to the right after the bridge along the golf course.

6. New Kroger store at Shelter Cove. A few minute drive, bikeable by back road. Large, bright, great selection. Deli, freshly made sushi, starbucks, bakery, great produce and fresh fruit, fish counter, meat counter, pre-prepared foods and the usual Kroger grocery products. We found the prices the same as our Kroger at home. We were able to shop easily for picnics as well as other meals. We had some good meals and ended up eating out only once - which was best with a toddler tired from the beach.

7. Shadow - is great! We loved B'Lou's stories and DGD was just thrilled being able to give Shadow treats. B'Lou said Shadow is 8 (going on) 19.

8. We went to a campfire which the kids 8 - 12 seemed to enjoy greatly! DGD did not understand that she could not walk up to see the fire close up, so we did not stay long. That is something for a few years from now.

9. The beach house - surprised me that we really liked it. It was a good place to get DGD out of the sun and she napped on a couch. We were set up on the beach, but enjoyed going into the beach house for breaks.

10. The staff was so friendly. Need I say more?

11. We are going back next year. The biking, the beach, the quiet laid back atmosphere and just enough programming were just perfect for us. We all agreed it was one of the best vacations ever.

I'm so glad you enjoyed DHHI. I'm especially glad you got to meet Shadow, and I'm glad (and surprised) that B'Lou's letting people give her treats again. I know that a few years ago he told us that he had to stop it because she was getting a little "chunky", he said. So many people loved her (no surprise there) that they'd often bake goodies for her at home, or buy "Shadow goodies" on the island and bring them to her. Were you able to participate in any of the resort activities? Go to any good (or bad) restaurants?

Thanks for taking such great care of our villa until we could get there! :thumbsup2 It looked like new. I bet we were the first to use the dryer - it had no lint at all on the lint filter - usually there is some trace left.;)

I did note the floor - in sweeping up sand, it worked to sweep in only one direction but did not realize why. we loved the second balcony - a different view than the main balcony - we will request 1521 again!

Going to check your photos now - thanks for posting.

Sorry ............. we also did 1 load of wash ! lol :lmao:

14 and 15 buildings are great but I also wouldn't mind trying out 18, 22,24,29 or the (rumored to be) haunted 31 .
Anything except the villas directly buy the pool would be fine for us ! We prefer the peace and quiet vs being in the middle of the action!

Glad you had a great trip. We are going in July for the first time . Did you do any of the tours Dolphin, or nature walks

Great report, thanks for sharing. Seems like just a couple of years ago we enjoyed our trip to HHI, but it's been 9 already! DD's favorite thing that trip was searching for Shadow.
Someday we will make it back, it's a lovely, laid back vacation.

HHI is DVC's "Best Kept Secret"...but it's starting to get out;)

I can't wait until we go back...in 2017:(. We were "supposed" to go next year, but DD9 decided she wants to do a RunDisney event next year. I guess sneaking in one more trip to WDW while she is still a "child" (under 10) isn't such a bad idea.

It's a secret gem that's drivable!! It's hard to get in there, booking early or last minute helped me. We've been twice and each time is was so peaceful!

We leave next Sat. for a week's stay, can't wait!!!!!! We love HHI but had to skip our usual stay there last summer so we are all excited to get back!!

Hoping we get a refurbished villa, they look real nice! Thx for your report!

Thinking of booking for May, 2015!

RENOVATED villas sound BEAUTIFUL!:thumbsup2:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

LOVE the fact that we are not bound to "SUMMER SCHOOL SCHEDULES" ANYMORE! YAY!:thumbsup2:dance3:

Now, only bound to college schedules...Most are done mid May! Can't wait!:banana::banana:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter