Just back from HK

automaticsoap

DIS Veteran
I just got back from a 5-day trip to Hong Kong and spent a half day at HKDL this past Monday. I would have loved to spend more time there, but my partner isn't as big a Disney fan as me. I was there from rope drop until around 2pm, and I'd be happy to try and answer any questions.

Some brief thoughts:
-Mystic Manor is AMAZING! I can't stop thinking about it.
-I went in having a slight interest in Shellie May and left with a small obsession (bought 4 items)!

Oh good. I have a very small Duffy from Tokyo DL and always wish I had bought Shellie May to keep him company-do they have Shellie May in a small (I guess around 6") size? What were the crowds like first thing? I have read its just as packed from before opening whereas we are used to getting to a DL at rope drop and beating the worst of the crowd. How long is the backwards section of the mine train at Grizzly Gulch (if you rode it? My DH got sick on Everest at AK at WDW so now is avoiding any like that so thinking I will probably single rider it anyway but worth asking). My first up most anticipated ride is Mystic Manor - it sounds great from what I have read. Any other tips on HK itself? We will be there in a month (first visit). Thanks!!

Oh good. I have a very small Duffy from Tokyo DL and always wish I had bought Shellie May to keep him company-do they have Shellie May in a small (I guess around 6") size? What were the crowds like first thing? I have read its just as packed from before opening whereas we are used to getting to a DL at rope drop and beating the worst of the crowd. How long is the backwards section of the mine train at Grizzly Gulch (if you rode it? My DH got sick on Everest at AK at WDW so now is avoiding any like that so thinking I will probably single rider it anyway but worth asking). My first up most anticipated ride is Mystic Manor - it sounds great from what I have read. Any other tips on HK itself? We will be there in a month (first visit). Thanks!!

I'm pretty sure they have the smaller Shellie May's. I didn't get one, but I remember seeing them.

The crowds at rope drop are not bad at all. I think a lot more people arrive closer to the afternoon. It's nothing compared to MK rope drop. I haven't rope dropped DL, so I can't compare. I was the very first to get on Mystic Manor and went on it twice initially, and it was a while before anyone else went on the ride! It seemed to me that most people at rope drop got in line to meet Mickey & Minnie, headed to Tomorrowland and Fantasyland, or to Frozen.

Grizzly Gulch is slower than BTMRR. I wouldn't characterize it as a thrill ride at all. I think the backwards section is a little bit longer than at EE, but I would say that it's tamer.

As for any other tips, I'm not sure! HKDL really does feel much smaller than the US Disney parks, and less busy. I think it's fairly easy to accomplish what you'd like.

Thanks for the feedback automaticsoap. I will probably ride Grizzly Gulch first then let DH know if I think he'll be OK. This was the guy who used to love coasters and it was me who wouldn't get on them - he is not impressed older age and presumably his ears, let him down now!

We were there the day Mystic Manor opened (coincidentally) and didn't realize how lucky we were!! It's such an amazing ride!! That and Grizzly Gulch were our favorites! Glad you loved it!!

I will be visiting HKDL in July. How many days to see it all at peak summer season? It's going to be really hot for sure. My flight arrives at 11:30 am. It's a 4-day stopover stay to visit old friends (I was originally from HK and have not been back for 20 years). I am not planning to sight see other places, just to visit HKDL, shop, eat seafood and meet with my friends.
TIA!

I will be visiting HKDL in July. How many days to see it all at peak summer season? It's going to be really hot for sure. My flight arrives at 11:30 am. It's a 4-day stopover stay to visit old friends (I was originally from HK and have not been back for 20 years). I am not planning to sight see other places, just to visit HKDL, shop, eat seafood and meet with my friends.
TIA!
I've only been once in September, so I don't know what crowds are like during July. The park is fairly small though, so I would think 1-2 days is enough, depending on if you want to do everything.

I've only been once in September, so I don't know what crowds are like during July. The park is fairly small though, so I would think 1-2 days is enough, depending on if you want to do everything.

Thanks! I am planning to spend two full days. We are two adults, so we will skip some kiddie rides and hope to repeat some favourite rides like Space Mountain.

I haven't been to HK in over 30 years, we booked our trip for the week before Christmas this year, I'm so excited!

We are planning on spending two days at HKDL, I'm hoping that's enough to see everything because I'm not sure when we will be back. Did you stay on property or close to the park? Also, what is the merchandise like? If it's anything like the stuff at Tokyo DL, we will be in deep, deep trouble.

We are planning on spending two days at HKDL, I'm hoping that's enough to see everything because I'm not sure when we will be back. Did you stay on property or close to the park? Also, what is the merchandise like? If it's anything like the stuff at Tokyo DL, we will be in deep, deep trouble.

I stayed in Causeway Bay and took the MTR to HKDL. It was an easy ride!

I don't think the merchandise is at the level of Tokyo DL. I haven't been to Tokyo yet, so my opinion is only based on what I've seen online. I enjoyed getting some unique HKDL items (mostly Mystic Manor) and Shellie May.

What else besides the HKDL park is there to see/do? We will have two tweens with us, so it needs to be kid friendly. Any suggestions appreciated!

Feistygirl1916 if you mean in Hong Kong itself Ocean Park has lots of animals - pandas and monkeys and lots of marine animals (a great penguin area, arctic fox, seals and walrus, dolphin show, sharks and rays, aquarium). Many of their rides are more suited to the older kids but they do have a youngsters area which we didn't explore as we don't have children any more. Unless they are scared of heights they'd like the gondola ride from one part of the park to the other as well (if so consider going over by the train to reach the polar areas and Marineworld and catch the cable car back as its much quieter that direction-the cable car gets huge queues within an hour of opening going the other way). Most kids like a ride on the Star Ferry across from Kowloon to HK Island. There were lots of parks with playgrounds we found - smaller ones in the neighbourhoods and in the larger parks like Kowloon and Hong Kong parks. The larger parks also have things like aviaries and ponds with Koi carp and turtles. They'd also like the ride on the tram up the Peak but again do it early to avoid the crowds. There is a branch of Madame Taussauds up there too. The ding ding trams that run along Des Voeux Rd in Central would be fun to ride especially if you score a top seat on the tram. There are also all the beaches on the south side of HK Island and on the smaller islands - catch a ferry to the smaller islands or a bus from central to those on the south side between Aberdeen and Stanley like Deepwater Bay. Most tweens would also enjoy the markets for a while I imagine too so long as you go earlier like late afternoon perhaps, before they get the huge crowds in the evenings that might be overwhelming depending on your children. There is also the History Museum and Science Museum. Discover HongKong website has lots of useful info. Once you start researching you will find a ton of stuff to suit your children's interests and have fun yourself too. The public transport - buses and MTR are all very easy to use with stops in English as well as Cantonese - just get an Octopus card each which is a tap on and off card and usable on everything.

Last edited:
The Science museum will be closed for renovation until 2018 or so as well as Avenue des Stars.
If your children like Peanuts, there is a really nice Charlie Brown cafe close to TSR mtr station.
And Harbour city has the biggest ToysRUs in Asia, so.. ;)

You might want to consider the pink dolphin tour, visiting the big Buddha, the nightly Symphony of Lights show would probably be interesting for the kids.

As for July, for those staying at the Disney Hollywood hotel, theres swimming with Goofy at the swimming pool there.

Unfortunately the biggest problems with July is not the heat but the humidity.

Btw, we have a facebook group for the Tokyo and HK Disney resorts with quite a number of people who have visited many times and can answer all your questions, so welcome.

I have been to Hong Kong twice now, and go to Disneyland last time we were there, in August. I will post my trip report in a new thread so people can see it.

We were there in August and it wasn't crowded at all, but it was very hot/humid. Even got some pictures of the castle with no people near it...never would get that at WDW or DL. Going into Philharmagic (in english) for the air conditioning was a must do because of the heat.

Also in Hong Kong, going to Lantau island (the big Buddha), Shopping at the Ladies Market, Night Market, or Stanley Market, and eating lots of food were the big wins. Also, you can take a boat to Macau, which is basically Asian Las Vegas, and has a lot of tourist things to do as well, for a day trip!

The Science museum will be closed for renovation until 2018 or so as well as Avenue des Stars.
If your children like Peanuts, there is a really nice Charlie Brown cafe close to TSR mtr station.
And Harbour city has the biggest ToysRUs in Asia, so.. ;)

You might want to consider the pink dolphin tour, visiting the big Buddha, the nightly Symphony of Lights show would probably be interesting for the kids.

As for July, for those staying at the Disney Hollywood hotel, theres swimming with Goofy at the swimming pool there.

Unfortunately the biggest problems with July is not the heat but the humidity.

Btw, we have a facebook group for the Tokyo and HK Disney resorts with quite a number of people who have visited many times and can answer all your questions, so welcome.

Thanks so much! Is it under DisBoards and then the park for the FB group?

I haven't been to HK in over 30 years, we booked our trip for the week before Christmas this year, I'm so excited!

Hi. I know you asked this a while ago, but I hope you don't mind if I share my opinion too.

I haven't been to Tokyo DL yet either, but I thought the shopping at the park was pretty decent. There are a good amount of stores for the size of the park. I do wish there were more items specific to HKDL, but I was able to get a shirt, pin, and mug with "Hong Kong Disneyland" on them. I was looking for Mickey stuffed animals dressed in traditional Chinese clothes for my nephews and wasn't able to find any. Depending on what sort of items you are looking for, you might be able to find something special without feeling overwhelmed because I think a lot of the items are probably available in other parks or Disney stores.

Hope you have a wonderful trip! I wonder how they will decorate the park for Christmas.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter