Just back from SSR - moved room (long)

mark&sue

<font color=teal>I keep trying to convert everybod
We are just back from our trip to Saratoga Springs. We flew in from UK and arrived at SSR about 4.00 p.m. There were no Congress Park Villas and were offered the only villa available at the Carousel. I know that booking on the day of your 11 month window does not guantee you a room but felt annoyed that those pesky up-graders from the "values" had taken our room!!!

We were advised that we could change our room the next day for $25 and take the only room available at Congress Park. We gladly took up the offer. We bought into SSR as we love the walk to DTD and we also walk to the Crossroads and beyond. The room in the Carousel must have been one of the worse on the resort as it was the furtherest away from anything and overlooking the parking lot. As our vacation was for two weeks we thought it best to move. We did walk to DTD on the first night though and it was a long walk.

The next day I was not feeling well and we checked out at 9.00 a.m. We had to wait until gone 6 o'clock in the evening before the room was ready (We had no room and as I was not too well just kept waiting forthe room to be ready so I could liedown) when we lugged our cases up to the room it had not been cleaned from the previous occupant and the beds not made and the sofa bed was still out with all the mess everywhere etc. I phoned the front desk and they said we could have another room (Not sure where this room had come from as I had been told there was only one available previously), but I was not feeling well and asked if they could clean it while we sat on the balcony. Eventually it was cleaned. The previous occupants had not left a tip so I gave the mousekeepers $20 as it felt awkward for me sitting there.

The manager phoned and in my ill state I started ranting about the resort being filled up with all the up-graders and they obviously could not cope. It sounds silly now but I was not feeling at all well. The manager must have let us off the $25 as there was no bill when we checked out.

I would have been only too happy to pay the moving charge as I know they have to clean the room but feel that maybe the resort was too full and they could not cope.

Whilst we were waiting for our room at check in desks I did hear a number of guests arranging to change rooms the next day as they were not happy with their location. This must drive the CMs mad and so I guess the only way for everyone to be happy is to put the blocks into bookable areas when booking and therefore if the block you want when you book is not available you can choose to either stay there or book somewhere else.

Sorry to go on but wanted to share our experience. Otherwise had a great vacation

Susan

If you haven't already, make sure you check out this thread:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1483974

If we can get DVC to listen to the pleas of owners, hopefully we'll get that guaranteed DTD view!!!

I don't get the problems with housekeeping lately. The cleaning quality sure seems to have gone downhill and communication between housekeeping and the front desk is sorely lacking. Either supervisors aren't handing out assignments properly or the staff is just ignoring rooms for no real reason. I sure hope the resorts are following-up on these incidents and figuring out who is at fault with regard to the rooms being missed.

While it's fresh in your mind, I'd recommend sending a note off to the proper parties at Disney. At the very least copy it to DVC, Jim Lewis and the SSR resort manager.

If you haven't already, make sure you check out this thread:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1483974

If we can get DVC to listen to the pleas of owners, hopefully we'll get that guaranteed DTD view!!!

I don't get the problems with housekeeping lately. The cleaning quality sure seems to have gone downhill and communication between housekeeping and the front desk is sorely lacking. Either supervisors aren't handing out assignments properly or the staff is just ignoring rooms for no real reason. I sure hope the resorts are following-up on these incidents and figuring out who is at fault with regard to the rooms being missed.

While it's fresh in your mind, I'd recommend sending a note off to the proper parties at Disney. At the very least copy it to DVC, Jim Lewis and the SSR resort manager.

Can anyone confirm what jobs are currently being outsourced at WDW? I know that Valet is now outsourced and thought I read that some Bell Services were also. I would really love to be able to see a list of outsourced positions to see if there is a correlation between areas of complaint and outsourced postions.

I'm really starting to wonder with all of the Housekeeping issues that are being reported, if Housekeeping has undergone a similar fate. I read somewhere on the Resorts board recently where someone said that they thought Housekeeping had begun to be outsourced.

Can anyone confirm what jobs are currently being outsourced at WDW?

AFAIK:

* Resort night custodial staff - The people who clean the lobby, hallways, etc.

* Valet Parking

* Baggage Handlers (NOT bell services) - These are the folks who deliver DME bags to rooms. Disney contracted with the same service that has been moving bags from the airport to Disney property, so it's arguably the most organic of the changes. Instead of bags going from this company to Disney employees, the outside vendor is handling the entire process.

* Information systems

I believe that's about it.

The thing is I felt guilty because we moved rooms. The funny thing was that first they sent someone to check out my story as they did not believe me. When the eventually housekeepers arrived they seemed amazed that it was not done as it seemed everyone was saying that it had been done.

By the time they had finished it was 7.00 p.m and was too tired to walk to DTD after all that and ordered a pizza direct from room service. This was new as did not have this service when we went last October.

Had we not been staying so long we would have been upset at how much time was wasted from our stay. I would gladly use more points for a Congress Park location as we also walk to DTD to get the resort buses so think it is worth more as saves so much time.

I would add when we were shown round the resort in 2004 we were only shown these villas and just did not think about the others being built. Our stupidity I know, but it sold it for us.

Susan

Susan, so sorry your stay got off to such a bad start and I'm glad to hear you still had a good time despite this. :flower3:

sorry you got off to a bad start Susan, pizza delivery - that must be new or did I miss something ?

We were amazed when we saw the information on the TV about the delivery service as when we were there in October we phoned an external delivery service. These new pizzas come in a pizza box with the Disney Characters on it.

I would say though the pizzas were not that nice and it was worth a walk to Artists Palate for the flatbread "to go"!

Susan

I was wondering if the influx of guests requiring daily cleaning at SSR has left housekeeping short handed. Disney may be paying for the extra housekeeping, but unless they add staff, other guests will have the same problems.

deb thats what I told the manager who phoned me back to apologise. I said it was all well and good up-grading these guests (who as we all know were having the cleaning service every day) but if they can't cope it should not be the rest of us members who suffer.

I am not bothered about a cleaning service during my stay but just want one between other guests stays!!

Once again don't want to keep moaning as the rest of the vacation was great and enjoyed our first meal at the turf club. I also liked the choice of cocktails in the bar

WaltDisneyWorldandCruiseAugust20-21.jpg

Susan

Housekeeping shortage of help is property wide and is not limited to the DVC resorts. There are simply not enough staff to do the job.

If outsourcing will improve the situation, then that is fine with me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter