Just back from stay at HRH!

wdwphanatic

Mouseketeer
I'll try to post a more detailed trip report soon, but just wanted everyone to know that we enjoyed our stay at HRH from 2/12 to 2/16. I would say that the service was quite good overall, the amenities plentiful and proximity to the parks excellent. The only negatives were, IMO, rather lackluster housekeeping and very expensive food...

We checked in around noon or so and our room wasn't ready 'til 3:55 pm! It wasn't cleaned particularly well (looked like the previous occupants left about 10 minutes prior and they scrambled to get the room done by the 4 pm deadline!)... Another day, we returned to our room at 4:15 pm and it hadn't even been cleaned yet!

The food was also ridiculously expensive at the hotel, IMO... If you can believe it, they charge $6 for a peanut butter and jelly sandwich (admittedly, it did come with fries that my DS didn't want!)... The breakfast buffet is $15 for adults ($8 for kids), which seems a bit steep as well, though they did have a fairly good selection of items. There is no a la carte menu at all, so if you or your kids only want a bowl of cereal, a bagel or donut, you have to go to Emack & Bolio's (which is also insanely expensive)... All in all, I wasn't thrilled with the breakfast and lunch options at the hotel.

Despite these negatives, the hotel is beautiful and phenomenally convenient to the parks and CityWalk, which was great. We walked everywhere and took the water taxi a few times at night, which we enjoyed. Everyone at the hotel really tries to make you feel special, which isn't always the case at other hotels I've visited in recent years. Because we were Loews First members, they upgraded us to a pool view room, which was an added bonus. Although the view wasn't unobstructed (we mostly saw palm trees!), it was still a nice gesture on their part, especially considering the fact that the hotel was booked solid for Presidents' Day weekend!

I took a peek at PBH as well, and it seemed very quiet and remote to me... For our group, I was definitely pleased that we chose HRH. The atmosphere of the hotel was very upbeat, hip and fun, which our kids loved. It's also just as elegant and beautifully appointed as PBH (from what I saw), which I really liked. I would have loved to have made it over to RPH, but ran out of time!

If anyone has any questions, let me know... I'm happy to help! Everyone here was so great when I was planning my trip, I'd definitely like to return the favor!! :)

Happy trails,
Sarah

Please say you are posting a trip report!! LOL I'm glad you had a great time. We love the Hard Rock too.

I second the motion for a trip report. It has been a long cold winter here and I need to live vicariously through someone!

Thanks so much for the description. We'll be at HRH in about 2 weeks. Universal people seem to put all the good hotel info on their trip report -- it's different than DIS Resorts board that way, IMHO. So I am so glad to see a detailed description of your hotel experience.

I'm ALSO looking forward to the trip report, of course!

Thank you!

Great report! Can't wait to read the rest of your report.

Thanks for the report. We loved HRH last year and will be back there in a month. The only downside for us was also the fact that our room was cleaned so late each day. We were actually directly beside the housekeeping room, but they would start at the end of the hallway and work their way back. Oh, who cares ~ I can't wait to let someone else do the cooking and the cleaning, while we enjoy US.

What we usually do is just ask housekeeping for dry towels and then tell them that they don't need to clean our room. I don't like having them in my room while I am not there so I just leave the do not disturb sign on the door. How dirty can your room get in a couple of days?

... how dirty a room can get in a few days, damo!!!!!!!!! OMG, we had one sick child throw up all over the bed, another who forgot to use the bathroom before going to sleep and a mountain of soda and beer cans and partially drunk juice boxes to contend with every day... What a MESS! Another thing I noticed was that there really wasn't a place to put luggage so that it was out of the way. We didn't feel like unpacking all our bags since we were only there for 4 nights, but there wasn't much choice because there was no place to keep the bags given the room layout (we had connecting rooms, so maybe where the door was in that room was open space in a non-connecting room)...

All in all, though, it really was a nice place... I would definitely consider returning -- and that FOTL benefit is UNBELIEVABLE!!! To have had that for the price we paid per night was an incredible deal.

Let me know if I can answer any questions!

Take care,
Sarah

I'de just like to ask what room number you had, so I can request not to have it!! Just kidding. It sounds like you had quite a time! I hope the sick child got better.

Originally posted by wdwphanatic
... how dirty a room can get in a few days, damo!!!!!!!!! OMG, we had one sick child throw up all over the bed, another who forgot to use the bathroom before going to sleep and a mountain of soda and beer cans and partially drunk juice boxes to contend with every day... What a MESS!

Take care,
Sarah

Wow, sounds like you needed more than just housekeeping!!! :p

Perhaps you should request our room, TigerLilly's Mom, because it will probably have undergone a complete rehab since then... LOL!!!

Actually, it was our friends' dd who got sick -- our ds just went pee in the bed (which was unpleasant, but not a complete disaster!)... Ugh, there's definitely some sort of stomach virus going around down there at the moment. I've heard from several people whose kids got sick when they were in Orlando recently... Hopefully, it will have cleared out by the time you get there, TigerLilly's Mom!

Take care,
Sarah

Thanks Sarah!

We have had just about every stomach virus you can imagine in the last two months, so hopefully we are done with that!

I actually do have a question - what type of bed coverings did you have? Was it the white duvet (which I love) or the green bedspread (YUCK!)? And what type of room(s)/views did you have? Thanks!!

I wish they'd change back to the white duvet covers. We had the yucky green ones again in January.

... to your question, TigerLilly's Mom... Just noticed that you're leaving today -- YIPPIE! Hope you guys have a great trip to US/IOA! Anyway, sorry to disappoint you, but they had the yucky green bedspreads in our room. I was really looking forward to the duvets (that's what we have at home) -- theirs look so great in the photos I've seen! Oh well... Maybe they'll bring 'em back at some point if enough people complain about the bedspreads!!

Have a great trip,
Sarah

Thanks Sarah,
I love the duvets, because you know they are clean. Oh well, it is certainly not a deal breaker. Thanks for gettting back to me! Tonia

Just got back last night and we had the white duvet covers. I loved them...all hotels should use duvets!!!

Well, maybe they are not all gone then, cool!!! I love the white duvets - maybe I should ask for them specifically! Just kidding;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter