Just back from the Fantasy - the good , the bad, and the ugly! Any questions?

colbybug

DIS Veteran
Let's start with the good - there was no ugly and really not much bad either. The good news is that we tested negative and made it on to our long awaited vacation! The airports - both coming and going - were insanely busy. We thought since it was after the holidays, it wouldn't be so crowded but we were wrong.
We flew in a few days early and stayed in Cocoa Beach which was awesome - warm and not crowded. The Covid testing was very streamlined. Not a big deal other than it added more time in getting on the ship. I would suggest testing just before you leave - just for peace of mind. Reportedly, last week the passenger count was 2200, this week it was 1800. Cast members stated that there were lots of cancellations but no one would tell us how many were covid related. We did hear of a number of families that were turned away because one person out of a group tested positive at the port. They also said that the CDC just lowered the ship capacity from 60% to 40% due to the uptick in Covid cases. I have to say that we felt safer on the ship than anywhere knowing that everyone was either vaccinated or had tested negative.
It was strange to be on a somewhat empty ship. Nice because you never had wait for anything. Service was faster, no wait for loungers, elevators, dinner was quicker and quieter. Pools weren't over run with guests. I think they only allowed 13 kids in the pool at a time?? We didn't sail with young children but we did notice a line for the pools. My son and his friend went to the 1820 society (for 18 to 21 year olds) and had a great time. They said there were about 20 to 25 kids most of the time.
The cast members were thrilled to be there and bended over backwards to accommodate - and they were everywhere - so many of them. Cabanas was mostly the same other than everything was served and it wasn't as big of a deal as I thought it might be. Palo's was amazing!! IF you have to pick, we thought brunch was better than dinner. More variety.
Masks were required indoors and this was enforced but pretty lax everywhere else. There is no paper anywhere. Drawings still happened in Animators but papers weren't returned. The not so great thing was that the entertainment was lacking. Only two entertainers and they were meh. None of the regular production shows took place. Believe was cancelled twice. They repeated the ones they did do - Aladdin and Frozen - and they were great. Only one guy playing the guitar and he was everywhere - no other live music that I can recall. The characters are everywhere but can only stand to the side of you. If you hadn't experienced the character interaction previously, you would be fine. The fireworks were done twice and they were really great. If you are on the starboard side, you can see them from your balcony. Awesome!!
Grand Cayman was cancelled and Nassau replaced it - also meh - but better than nothing. Castaway Cay was awesome as always. We parasailed and really enjoyed that. We booked 120 days out - it was cancelled but then pixie dust happened and we were able to re-schedule onboard.
We had stateroom 6192 on the very back of the ship and it was awful. We moved to a midship balcony - same deck. I have always wanted to stay in one of the aft staterooms but so glad we didn't. The exhaust fumes were overwhelming, the flagpole took up half the balcony and view but worst of all was the vibration. I had been warned but thought it couldn't be that bad - but it was. Laying on the bed was like putting a quarter in a vibrating bed and as a result, the entire room rattled. We were only in it for a few hours when my husband said no way and we moved.
That is all I can think of for now. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Kathy

Last edited:
Let's start with the good - there was no ugly and really not much bad either. The good news is that we tested negative and made it on to our long awaited vacation! The airports - both coming and going - were insanely busy. We thought since it was after the holidays, it wouldn't be so crowded but we were wrong.
We flew in a few days early and stayed in Cocoa Beach which was awesome - warm and not crowded. The Covid testing was very streamlined. Not a big deal other than it added more time in getting on the ship. I would suggest testing just before you leave - just for peace of mind. Reportedly, last week the passenger count was 2200, this week it was 1800. Cast members stated that there were lots of cancellations but no one would tell us how many were covid related. We did hear of a number of families that were turned away because one person out of a group tested positive at the port. They also said that the CDC just lowered the ship capacity from 60% to 40% due to the uptick in Covid cases. I have to say that we felt safer on the ship than anywhere knowing that everyone was either vaccinated or had tested negative.
It was strange to be on a somewhat empty ship. Nice because you never had wait for anything. Service was faster, no wait for loungers, elevators, dinner was quicker and quieter. Pools weren't over run with guests. I think they only allowed 13 kids in the pool at a time?? We didn't sail with young children but we did notice a line for the pools. My son and his friend went to the 1820 society (for 18 to 21 year olds) and had a great time. They said there were about 20 to 25 kids most of the time.
The cast members were thrilled to be there and bended over backwards to accommodate - and they were everywhere - so many of them. Cabanas was mostly the same other than everything was served and it wasn't as big of a deal as I thought it might be. Palo's was amazing!! IF you have to pick, we thought brunch was better than dinner. More variety.
Masks were required indoors and this was enforced but pretty lax everywhere else. There is no paper anywhere. Drawings still happened in Animators but papers weren't returned. The not so great thing was that the entertainment was lacking. Only two entertainers and they were meh. None of the regular production shows took place. Believe was cancelled twice. They repeated the ones they did do - Aladdin and Frozen - and they were great. Only one guy playing the guitar and he was everywhere - no other live music that I can recall. The characters are everywhere but can only stand to the side of you. If you hadn't experienced the character interaction previously, you would be fine. Grand Cayman was cancelled and Nassau replaced it - also meh - but better than nothing.
We had stateroom 6192 on the very back of the ship and it was awful. We moved to a midship balcony - same deck. I have always wanted to stay in one of the aft staterooms but so glad we didn't. The exhaust fumes were overwhelming, the flagpole took up half the balcony and view but worst of all was the vibration. I had been warned but thought it couldn't be that bad - but it was. Laying on the bed was like putting a quarter in a vibrating bed and as a result, the entire room rattled. We were only in it for a few hours when my husband said no way and we moved.
That is all I can think of for now. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Kathy
Thanks for sharing. I'm so glad to know you had a great cruise. Did you play Bingo? If so, was there a big final jackpot at the last Bingo of the cruise?

Thanks for this! Sounds like you guys had a good time even with a few of the minor issues. Glad you enjoyed your vacation!

Masks were required indoors and this was enforced but pretty lax everywhere else. There is no paper anywhere. Drawings still happened in Animators but papers weren't returned. The not so great thing was that the entertainment was lacking. Only two entertainers and they were meh. None of the regular production shows took place. Believe was cancelled twice. They repeated the ones they did do - Aladdin and Frozen - and they were great. Only one guy playing the guitar and he was everywhere - no other live music that I can recall. The characters are everywhere but can only stand to the side of you. If you hadn't experienced the character interaction previously, you would be fine. Grand Cayman was cancelled and Nassau replaced it - also meh - but better than nothing.

Kathy

Thanks for all the info. Were the Cabanas offerings still limited - i.e, four “sets” of the same food across the entire horseshoe? Are CMs still manning the drink stations in there?

Thanks for the info on 1820 club. We are taking my DDs better late than never Sweet 16 cruise soon and now that she's 18 we were worried she wouldn't make friends to hang out with.

I learned my lesson on the aft Fantasy ships a few cruises ago. I described it the same way, like putting a quarter into a vibrating bed although I've only seen those on TV!! We were one of the families denied boarding due to covid. Did you happen to get 6132 or 6134 😄 those are the rooms we would have had. The limiting kids in the pool is a bummer. And I feel like we pay for quality entertainment. On past cruises there has generally been a magician or very good variety act.

And music with dancing was really the best. I would have missed that. Did they do Jack Jack's diaper dash?

Thanks for all the info. Were the Cabanas offerings still limited - i.e, four “sets” of the same food across the entire horseshoe? Are CMs still manning the drink stations in there?
Yes, still four sets of the same food and the CM's are still handing out the drinks in Cabanas (but not at the pool).

Did you buy the photos? If so, would you recommend it? We have bought them other years, but I'm assuming everyone is wearing masks, even for photos, since they're indoors.

How was your formal night (and did they even do photos)?

I learned my lesson on the aft Fantasy ships a few cruises ago. I described it the same way, like putting a quarter into a vibrating bed although I've only seen those on TV!! We were one of the families denied boarding due to covid. Did you happen to get 6132 or 6134 😄 those are the rooms we would have had. The limiting kids in the pool is a bummer. And I feel like we pay for quality entertainment. On past cruises there has generally been a magician or very good variety act.

And music with dancing was really the best. I would have missed that. Did they do Jack Jack's diaper dash?
No dancing anywhere - not even in The Tube. No Jack's diaper dash. A lot of the extra's just didn't happen. It was definitely scaled back. I think your cabins would have been great. We moved to 6608. It is strange because they are very strict about masks and social distancing. They make everyone sit so many chairs or feet apart from each other or rows between guests, but then everyone is together in an elevator, and in the hot tubs and waiting to get into the theater and the Tube.

Did you buy the photos? If so, would you recommend it? We have bought them other years, but I'm assuming everyone is wearing masks, even for photos, since they're indoors.

There were photographers everywhere but we didn't buy any photos. A lot of then wanted to take your picture wearing masks and we didn't want to remember the masks! Lol! We just took our own. Another strange thing was some CM's wouldn't take a picture for you, saying that they weren't allowed to but then others would. Our Palo server wouldn't do my souffle for me (saying it wasn't allowed) but then our regular server, took the lobster out of the shell. Confusing. What's the difference? Formal night was one night but it seemed much more casual than usual. They had a second "optional dress up" night on Lobster night (Thurs?) but no one really dressed up.

Last edited:

There were photographers everywhere but we didn't buy any photos. A lot of then wanted to take your picture wearing masks and we didn't want to remember the masks! Lol! We just took our own. Another strange thing was some CM's wouldn't take a picture for you, saying that they weren't allowed to but then others would. Our Palo server wouldn't do my souffle for me (saying it wasn't allowed) but then our regular server, took the lobster out of the shell. Confusing. What's the difference?
What are the regular production shows?
The Golden Mickeys, Wishes, Believe, and in the past there has been a sail away party and a welcome aboard show as well as a farewell show and none of those took place on this sailing.

No dancing anywhere - not even in The Tube. No Jack's diaper dash. A lot of the extra's just didn't happen. It was definitely scaled back. I think your cabins would have been great. We moved to 6608. It is strange because they are very strict about masks and social distancing. They make everyone sit so many chairs or feet apart from each other or rows between guests, but then everyone is together in an elevator, and in the hot tubs and waiting to get into the theater and the Tube.

No Jack Jack's! That's like the highlight of the cruise. I would love to hear how the tween and teen clubs differed if anyone else was on board. We just rebooked for April 2nd and we'll probably go but worried it won't be worth the cost. I felt like I paid for quality entertainment that may not be there.

A couple more questions, could you still serve yourself soft serve ice cream? And any limitations in the spa? I love using the sauna and pay for access just for that.

No Jack Jack's! That's like the highlight of the cruise. I would love to hear how the tween and teen clubs differed if anyone else was on board. We just rebooked for April 2nd and we'll probably go but worried it won't be worth the cost. I felt like I paid for quality entertainment that may not be there.

A couple more questions, could you still serve yourself soft serve ice cream? And any limitations in the spa? I love using the sauna and pay for access just for that.
Was on the 12/19 and 12/26 cruise: They serve you the ice cream and the locker room is closed (so no sauna). Rainforest room you can rent for 1 hour 45 minutes for around $200. Up to 10 people in your immediate party.

Edge/Vibe were closed part of each cruise due to covid in the crew. I the the most recent cruise didn't have any closures, which is great.

There were photographers everywhere but we didn't buy any photos. A lot of then wanted to take your picture wearing masks and we didn't want to remember the masks! Lol! We just took our own. Another strange thing was some CM's wouldn't take a picture for you, saying that they weren't allowed to but then others would. Our Palo server wouldn't do my souffle for me (saying it wasn't allowed) but then our regular server, took the lobster out of the shell. Confusing. What's the difference?

The Golden Mickeys, Wishes, Believe, and in the past there has been a sail away party and a welcome aboard show as well as a farewell show and none of those took place on this sailing.
Back in 2019 we did not have Golden Mickeys or Wishes on the Fantasy. Just Believe, Aladdin, Frozen and other nights were a movie or variety show. I think that entertainment change was pre-Covid.

So glad you had a great time. We were on the week before you, and we had a great time too. My son missed his last chance at the VIBE due to a cancelled 2020 cruise, so he was in 18 to 20 this time. He was very pleasantly surprised at how many activities they had planned and how many "kids" were in 18 to 20. His only complaint was that he wished they had a dedicated place to hang out.

Wishes and Golden Mickey's have been gone from the Fantasy for a while.

Wishes and Golden Mickey's have been gone from the Fantasy for a while.

Yup. What you're missing out on these days are the variety acts like the magicians and ventriloquists.

They actually did have a ventriloquist on the Dream back in September, so I guess you might still get a lucky variety act sometimes. But they don't seem to be very common right now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter