Just Back-Jiko's (long)

NUHusky

Earning My Ears
Just returned this evening so I'll review our favorite restaurant, (Jiko's-2nd time for us-ist for DSiS), of the trip and get the balance later. Diners were myself, DW, DSiS, DBiL,DD 9, DS 4, DN 13 and DN 11. They couldn't accomodate our request for 8 sitting together so it was the 4 adults and the 4 children ( a table by themselves).

The kids (girls), they acted like adults the whole evening, decided that the childrens menu was not interesting enough and that they would like the adult menus (relayed to our table by our server...gasp!). They ordered cinammon beef rolls to start and seemed to enjoyed them. Can't express what it was like to look at them chatting and laughing quietly.

We had wine by the glass to start. I love the Pinot Noir and DSIS had a very good Chenin Blanc (which is usualy way to sweet for both of us, but this was awesome) DW had a sparking wine which she didn't care for (and our server removed it from the bill). We went with bbq'd chicken flatbread (BiL was OK), autumn greens (DW-good), octopus (DSiS loved it) and tomato, cucumber and onion salad (me-great).

Back to the children- entrees, the girls shared their entrees, tenderloin (DN-13), salmon (DN-11) and monkfish (DD-9). They ate everything, favorites were the tenderloin and monkfish. DS got the PB&J, but not on the rainbow bread, he requested white bread only, crust off, (sometimes I can't believe he has the same genes as my DD). Remember we are watching this stuff from another table (but can't hear anything)....My DS sends the PB&J back to the kitchen. The jelly doesn't taste right...he wants straight peanut butter (with crusts off)...Our server relays what is going on...We're all in tears we're laughing so hard.

My BIL and myself go with the monkfish. Very Good! DSIS and DW go with the tenderloin and love it. Shiraz (server recommendation for all entrees works nicely) even with the fish.

Chef comes out to speak with the children's table. Don't know all that is said but there is lot's of fun going on over there (15-20 minutes easy). When he comes over to see us he offers me a deal for my son...man, he better stick to the kitchen...he doesnt' know the real DS. He does tell us it is the first time a PB&J has been sent back to the kitchen. Again, we're in tears. Our Chef said they had quite a discussion about the menu (readers we're regular folks in case you're wondering...I can't imagine what that was like).

No dessert for the kids, they're full, (I can't believe it?). Adults (save me) go with the pistachio creme brulee....and love it. A truly awesome dinner. My DSiS and I live 800 miles apart and we don't see each other very much (nor do the kids) so it was a very special dinner, that I know I will remember for my lifetime.

Sounds like some great memories were made at Jiko! Thanks for posting!

Nice review. Occasionally posters inquire if Jiko's is suitable for children..I'd say it is!!

And now anytime we eat out, DD11 compares it to Jiko and she let's the restaurant know that it is not as good!

We usually go to the Contemparory for Pin Trading on Fridays' but this coming up trip she is willing to give it up just to have dinner at Jiko's again! So you gotta know it's good!

Scratch
pirate:

Tell your DS we have a restaurant here in NYC that serves only peanutbutter sandwiches all different ways!! Maybe he has a future there LOL!! Too cute.

My family LOVES Bomas, and we've never tried Jiko.

This trip, it was just my DH, me, and my youngest DD. We tried Jiko, and it was GREAT!!!! My DD loved her dinner too! We will definitely be back here!!!!

Thanks so much for your review. My DH and I can't wait to go there on our "parent's night out".

~DawnMaree

Another Jiko fan here. One of my favorite places to eat at DW!

Your DS is 4? And he is already sending his PB&J back to the kitchen???

That is too funny!!!!:p

At 4 it's cute, but as he ages you might want to educate him of the hazards of sending your PBJ back to the kitchen too often, just so he doesn't end up with any special "jellies" on it!

Thanks for the review! Jiko is on our list of restaurants to try next time around!

Thanks for the great review. My wife and myself just love Jiko's, it is one of our favorite at WDW. We will be back in Dec. and plan on eating there again.

Great post, love the entire story about the family and especially about your son. Sounds like he is well on his way to developing "Disney Tastebuds."

Pixie Dust to all of you!!! DH and I can't wait to go back to Jiko in December.

Renee

I think that your son will grow up to be a restaurant reviewer or whatever they are called. I know Jiko's is good but your tale about the kids is definitely 5 star! Thanks for the great laugh!

What a special memory your family made. Thanks for sharing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter