Just Back: Shula's Review

denisem

DIS Veteran
Cast of Characters: DH & myself, both 50. 1st time visit.

Humorous Random Note: Slow time of year, so we called for PS earlier the same day. (Unlike "real life", on vacation we generally combine a late breakfast w/lunch and dine early, usually having great success with same day PS's or walk-ins. Shula's opens at 5:00 pm and declared they had ONE ressie left for 5:00 - They didn't open the doors until 5:15 and we were the only ones there for a good 20 minutes - by the time we left, it was maybe 1/3 full;) ).

Two thumbs up, we will return. Listen to the other reviews and note that all appetizers/side dishes can easily serve two! Other than the late opening, service was prompt and cordial/helpful.

DH started with a Caeser salad (he liked) and I ordered Steak Tartare. I was in heaven - other than the fact that I left half of it behind (huge portion)! Well-seasoned, plenty of toast points, with varied condiments (onion, peppers, anchovies, hot sauce, etc.). Yum!

We both chose medium rare filets, prepared perfectly. We also split an order of asparagus (fresh, tender, a side of hollandaise). (They also now offer a twice-baked potato the size of a loaf of bread: very tempting, but we went with the asparagus).

No room for dessert. That should give you an idea of portion size ;)

Will probably make this a regular "beef" stop on our WDW trips from now on ;)

Denise < --- still puzzled by the ambience, tho: dark paneled, white tablecloth venue with the menu on a football??

Denise,

Your review was great! We will (for some strange reason) be eating Thanksgiving dinner at Shula's. I am really curious about the portion size. I know that everyone says that they are huge and can easily be shared but... I wonder how big they really are. I float around the boards and often read the budget board to see if there is anything I am missing. I have read on there that a family of three splits a hamburger meal at Pecos Bill's and though I see nothing wrong with this, it just wouldn't work for my family.
We would be on the ground wrestling for the last fry! Don't get me wrong we aren't complete animals that go around eating everything in site, but (though I hate to be wasteful with food and money), I don't want anyone to go away hungry. There will be myself, DH and 12 yr old son. Would you think that my son and I would be fine sharing a potato and such? My husband thinks that I just being cheap when I mentioned that this was written on the boards several times.
Thanks!
Pam

Thanks for the great review, I'm drooling while I'm reading:p .

I can't wait to try Shula's, I have a PS for my first night there (just 25 days:bounce: ).

I'm a big football fan so I'm excited about the decor, but I'm also a Patriots fan, so I'll have to ignore the Dolphins memorabilia. :p

Great review. Sounds very good.

The part about one 5:00 reservation left is pretty funny!:p

Dogslider,

HUGE is HUGE The potatoes are easily shared. The Mozzerella Beefsteak Salad can skiied down. The steak are bigger and better then I have ever had. You do pay for what you get. But IMHO it's well worth it.

denisem, glad you enjoyed!!!

Dogslider,
You can check the menu for Shula's and other WDW restaurants at http://www.wdwig.com/menu/menus.htm . While this menu doesn't tell you how big the sides and such are, it does state the portion sizes for the entrees and IMHO, they are HUGE!! I can barely finish a 6 oz. filet and the smallest steak they offer is a 12 oz. filet.

I thought that I had read somewhere that Shula's charges you for splitting meals (I hope someone will speak up and either confirm this, or deny it) but to me; even if they do, it would be more than worth it.

Hope this helps you a little.

There is a plate splitting fee if you split a steak. None on sides.

I've heard that the Shula's at the Dolphin charges an $8 plate sharing charge for splitting the entree.

I will tell you from experience that DH and I dined at Shula's in NYC over the Labor Day weekend. We each had a caesar salad, we split a 12 oz. filet and also split a side order of sauteed mushrooms to go with the filet. For dessert we both had berries with a dollop of whipped cream.

We didn't get charged the 'sharing' fee, and the filet was split in the kitchen. We're both doing Atkins, and they were more than happy to accommodate our dietary requirements.

I hope that this helps.........

What did you wear and what were other people wearing?? I've heard the attire is business casual, but I don't do "business" when I'm on vacation!!!!

Sounds like more thumbs up for the filet but it's strange that aside from the filet and the occasional 48oz porterhouse (which I tend to discount) there aren't a lot of great reviews for the other steaks. Is no one eating these or are they just not that great?

pnelson, it's Disney World, wear whatever you'd wear anywhere else, save psossibly V&A's...It's in a hotel called the Dolphin for goodness sake!;)

Oh yeah, I almost forgot... The service we received on my two visits wer rather...How shall I put it? ... High brow...Has it come down to earth any?

Denise ~

Thanx for the great reviews. We are eating at Shula's during our vacation in October ~ can't wait now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter