Just back...Wear your ears!!!

ladyntramplover

Earning My Ears
Wow! I thought I'd write real quick. My DH and I just returned from our honeymoon (one week in Disney and another week in southwestern Florida). I don't have much time right now so I'll fill you in on what we did at Disney quickly and then come back and answer any questions.

We were at the Wilderness Lodge (room 1023) from 7/23 to 7/28.

Tuesday:
-Checked in. Upgraded us to a king bed. Room was close to EVERYTHING !!! We were so close to the ferry landing, Roaring Fork, Artist Point, the pool and the lobby.
-Ate at Whispering Canyon. Nobody was there for lunch, but they did make us ride horses around the restaurant with our Mickey ears on.
-Went to Victoria and Albert's for dinner (thanks Mom and Dad!) Amazing! At least do this restaurant once. It's quite an experience.
-Took a fireworks cruise by ourselves to see Fantasy in the Sky. My DH gave it to me as a wedding present. Also drove around a while to see the Water Parade. Please make sure your ship's captain knows how to drive! We almost crashed into a BIG ferry at one point.

Wednesday:
-Sat up front on the monorail
-Breakfast at Crystal Palace. Food was great. Got pictures with Tigger, Piglet and Pooh fairly easily. We had to wait an hour for Eeyore because he never came to our table.
-Scavenger hunt for my DH through Gifts of a Lifetime. We had so much fun even though it was boiling hot.
-Went to Epcot in the evening. From 6 til closing, there is No One! We got a whole TRAIN (not just a car) at Journey Into Your Imagination.
-Le Cellier for dinner. Excellent food and service. Even a free dessert!

Thursday:
-Keys to the Kingdom tour. AMAZING! Ours lasted close to six hours. Columbia House was okay for lunch...not the best but certainly not the worst.
-Hung out with Cruella Deville before the tour.
-Dinner at Wolfgang Puck's. Food was just okay. We were wearing our ears in the lobby and a radio producer from Boston asked if we would like to be on the number one rated show in Boston the next morning. They were looking for honeymooners in Disney. Of course we said yes!

Friday:
-Went to All-Star Movies at 6:45 a.m. and were on the Matty in the Morning show in Boston. Way cool
-Animal Kingdom. Primeval Whirl is awesome.
-50's Prime-Time Cafe for dinner. Great service and the meatloaf is as good as ever.

Saturday (last full day)
-MGM: Got picked to be in the Indiana Jones show. We've seen it many times but we've never gotten to be in it. Very cool!
-Went to Millionaire game twice and both times our picture was on the large screen
-dinner at Artist Pointe (good food, expensive)
-Pleasure Island: Comedy Warehouse wasn't that great, but the Adventurers' Club was extremely entertaining!

Our biggest suggestion to any honeymooners is to wear those ears! We only saw two other couples wear them the whole time we were there. You are treated like royalty, not only by the Disney workers but by regular guests as well. By the way, if you wear your ears, be prepared to be tackled by the characters. My DH got clobbered by Chip and Dale, Tigger, the Genie, Robin Hood, King Louie and Captain Hook. I almost left him at the parks with Mr. Smee.

We didn't do a honeymooning package, just a regular package, and it was just as magical (plus we saved a little money).

Any questions? Glad to answer them

Lady

Lady,

Welcome back and Congratulations!!

Just one question for you: where did you get your ear hats from?

I do know that people treat you well if you wear the ear hats. But I was kinda afraid that it might look silly. Also ear hats are pretty common now, and I don't want people in the park to get an idea that "honeymooners are wearing hats to get discounts...".... But I will definitely get those ears and wear them for at least one day.

also, do you know any romantic spot in the park? i cann't afford to ride on a cruise but it does sound romantic to me.

thanks for the report.

jean

Welcome back!!!

I've heard nothing but great things about wearing the ears... FH and I got a set and will be wearing them! At first he didn't want to wear them till he kept reading posts about them.... that convinced him!!!

Actually, you can buy the ears at any hat store throughout the parks. Sometimes some of the resort gift shops carry them as well ( I know there's a shop in the Grand Floridian that sells all kinds of wedding gear, not just the hats.)

To be honest, I thought we'd see a lot more people wearing the hats when we were there and that just wasn't the case. In our five or six day stay, we only saw two other couples wearing the hats in all four parks. I really don't believe that people think "There are those honeymooners trying to get free stuff." By the way, the only thing "free" we got was a dessert one night. Most of the time, you just have a lot of people talking to you and wishing you luck. When you wear your ears, you'll likely to hear two comments: "Oh, isn't that sweet?" OR "I wouldn't be caught dead in those hats." The second statement was mostly made by teenagers, particulary guys or girls who thought they were "too cool."

As to the romantic spot...there is a hidden wishing well right beside the castle that hardly anyone goes by. If you find a shop called Sir Mickey's, there's a path by there. Follow it and you will get to a secluded area. The well is right there...Beautiful. Are you looking for a romanic dinner? We didn't do it this time, but I love Tony's Town Square. The "Lady and the Tramp" theming is perfect for that!

love,
Lady

You said you went on a normal package. Which one did you go on and how did it work out for you? My soon to be husband and I are going on the Discovery Magic package in November for our honeymoon and I'm starting to become a little concerned whether it is worth it. Also, I've heard there is a bride and groom pin you can get instead. Did you see any of them. My Fi absolutly refuses to wear the hats even though I think they are adorable but he is willing to wear the pins. I'm just so thrilled I want to let everyone know we're married. What can I say I'm in love. Also I'm deffinately going to have to remember the wishing well you wrote about. Thanks.

Kissygoose, I got the pins (as well as the hats) and I bought them on E-bay....... I know there are other places you can get them as well but I"m not sure where.

Lady,

We honeymooned 7-22 through 7-29 at the Polynesian. :D We were on our fireworks cruise Tuesday night and I think we may have seen your near crash with a ferry boat!
I would say the same thing about the ears. WEAR THEM! It's fun. We wore the pins every single day and I don't think anyone even noticed them, but the ONE day we wore our ears- we did receive some special treatment and tons of well wishes. We got moved to the front of the line at Test Track and given our own car, so that was pretty neat. We did get a free dessert at Le Cellier, but our desserts were already included on the Grand Plan, so we had the waitress charge us for it anyway. Like you, we only saw a few other couples wearing them. The day we were at MGM there were two couples in Millionaire wearing them and they placed both of them on the fastest finger rows....that day my husband was really giving me a hard time for not wanting to wear them!
We only wore our ears 1 full day. They were kind of a pain, at least mine were, I guess I have a big head because I had to use hair clips to get the hat to stay on my head. My husband wanted to wear them every day!!
Sounds like we were doing a lot of the same things only a day or two apart... Victoria & ALberts, Adventurer's Club, Le Cellier.
We had the greatest time and are already planning on going back- soon hopefully.

Cord, it's the opposite for FH and I.. I'm the one who wants to wear them all the time and he's the one who said only for a few days.. I even want to wear them getting on the plane!!!! I have to get ahir clips for mine as well and I'm trying to find TIgger or some other character hair clips instead of just plain ones but havne't found any yet...

Lisa,

I know, I think that issue usually is reversed and the bride is all for it and the groom is against. The only reason I didn't want to do it all the time was the HEAT! It was so much easier and cooler for me to put my hair in a high pony tail and throw on a sun visor. I couldn't bear to leave my hair down and there just wasn't a good way for me to fix my hair up with those silly ears. They were fun though and I would have worn them every day probably if it hadn't been so hot! Hopefully for your honeymoon the weather will be much, much cooler.
I thought about wearing them on the plane too. We did see a couple with the white Bride and Groom t-shirts on one of our flights. Go for it!
I think you should be able find many character hair clips once you actually get there.
Have fun!!

Cord, we bought Bride & Groom t-shirts and are definitely wearing them on the plane! Part of why we are honeymooning 3 motnhs after the wedding is because of the heat in August (and the crowds to). We are both soooo excited and can't wait!!!!

We wore our ears onto the plane in Baltimore; the people in the airport thought we were crazy!!! By the way, we also wore the pins; unfortunately, they're pins so they're not very big. Many people didn't even notice we had them on as well. I had to use bobby pins for mine, but a neat thing happened. We were on the ferry boat to Fort Wilderness when a woman was getting off at that stop. She saw my ears and then handed me a really nice pair of rhinestone bobby pins of her own. She told me to wear them the rest of the time in Disney, and I did. It was so magical...

lady

Kissygoose -

I just wanted to let you know that my DH and I went with the Honeymoon Discovery Magic, which is just a few honeymoon "extras" in the package. It was well worth it. I posted on this forum about our trip in detail.

We took the ears with us to Disney, but we never wore them. DH was way too embarassed, but we did buy the Micky & Minne Bridegroom & Bride pins, and wore them on our lanyards, and we made sure to tell everyone we were on our honeymoon. I got a rose from the Yachtsman Steakhouse. Like on the rides, when they ask how many, he'd say "Two honeymooners". We saw quite a few people wearing the hats, but it still didn't convince Ray to wear them!

Lady - What a nice gift - Albert and Victoria's for dinner! I'm sure that your parents love you very much and truly wanted you to have a memorable time!

Whoops! That's Victoria and Albert's. I got so excited that I couldn't type! However, I'm sure that your DM and DF were just as excited to give the dinner to you!

Hey, Madhatter...Had they really loved me, they would have paid not only for dinner at V&A's....they would have also paid for our stay at the Grand Floridian....:p :p :p :p :p :p

Lady-True! But I bet that you mother and father paid for a lovely wedding reception instead! In fact, a reception with a Disney theme was just perfect. It is a very good thing that you are my only daughter!!! So know as a "thank you" you and your new DH can treat us "old" folks to an anniversay Disney cruise!! UMMMMM!

Madhatter and Lady, you two are so cute together! Lady, I have to ask what you did to tie in the Mickey and Minnie theme, We are having the same theme for our wedding September 14, 2002. I bet you and your mom have some great ideas;)

Becky

One more question for you Lady.... did you happen to see Minnie Mouse ears with a veil on them as a headband, not just a hat? I vaguely heard something about them and any info you have would be great! Thanks!:D

ZPT, They have the headband that bob around...on top of coils, and one side is the bride ears. The other side are the groom ears. I only saw 1 person wearing them, and I saw them in the gift shops. They're really cute, though, and if your husband won't wear the groom ears, and you want to wear the bride ears, it's probably a good compromise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter