Just got back--underwhelmed

We were on Allure of the Seas in January and our experience echos yours. The food was awful. You can tell they really want you to go to the speciality restaurants. We had late dining which was fine but from 4-7 there was nothing to do and then while we were eating there was a ton of stuff going on.

We sailed on the Carnival Celebration last year (mardi gras and jubilee are the sister ships) and had a great time. Always multiple things to do, food was great. We were pleasantly surprised. Also we had the any time dining which was a much better system. You would just request a table on app and then it would tell you when your table would be ready, so no standing in long lines, it was great.
Our experience was the opposite of yours.

This year we sailed Carnival Vista. It was the first cruise out of Port Canaveral, so that may account for some of our issues. Like you said MTD and the main dining room were amazing. We ate breakfast and dinner there every night because the buffet lines were RIDICULOUS. Lines were regularly over a half hour. Everyone decided to self disembark and it took hours. Everyone was pushing and shoving. Elevators were impossible to get to. You had to lug your luggage down the stairs. After this so many of the good memories disappeared.

The previous year we sailed on RCI Oasis and RCI Brilliance. Both times had early seating and it was great. The buffets had a 2 minute wait at most. Self disembarked both times. Easy Peasey. My biggest complaint would be on the Oasis the pool bars were impossible to get to. All the seats were taken and several people waiting.

As far as the food itself we had no complaints with any of the cruises

Ahh thanks for your reviews on both of these. Going on a 3 day with Allure and next year doing Carnival Celebration. I have only cruised Royal and Disney so looking forward to trying something new.
Loved both our cruises on Mardi Gras! For those that like the bigger RCCL ships, here is Mardi Gras next to Marella Explorer 2 (the old Celebrity Century) in Grand Turk.

This year we sailed Carnival Vista. It was the first cruise out of Port Canaveral, so that may account for some of our issues. Like you said MTD and the main dining room were amazing. We ate breakfast and dinner there every night because the buffet lines were RIDICULOUS. Lines were regularly over a half hour. Everyone decided to self disembark and it took hours. Everyone was pushing and shoving. Elevators were impossible to get to. You had to lug your luggage down the stairs. After this so many of the good memories disappeared.

The previous year we sailed on RCI Oasis and RCI Brilliance. Both times had early seating and it was great. The buffets had a 2 minute wait at most. Self disembarked both times. Easy Peasey. My biggest complaint would be on the Oasis the pool bars were impossible to get to. All the seats were taken and several people waiting.

There is a difference between the older Carnival ships and the 3 new ones (Mardi Gras, Celebration, and Jubilee) IMHO.IMG_1215.jpeg

Loved both our cruises on Mardi Gras! For those that like the bigger RCCL ships, here is Mardi Gras next to Marella Explorer 2 (the old Celebrity Century) in Grand Turk.

There is a difference between the older Carnival ships and the 3 new ones (Mardi Gras, Celebration, and Jubilee) IMHO.View attachment 849264
Love your photo. The size difference is amazing.

Thank you for the comment on the Mardi Gras. My family really wants to sail her but I have been holding back. I will have to give it a fair try. Like I said we had great luck with MTD in the MDR on the Vista. It was the horrible lines at the buffet that turned me off.

Love your photo. The size difference is amazing.

Thank you for the comment on the Mardi Gras. My family really wants to sail her but I have been holding back. I will have to give it a fair try. Like I said we had great luck with MTD in the MDR on the Vista. It was the horrible lines at the buffet that turned

Mardi gras, celebration, jubilee (excel class) are very different from the Vista class ships. There's so many food options we never ate at the buffet. 5 other breakfast places, 10+ options for lunch. Also you aren't stuck with the MDR for all dinners since you have 3 other sit down options that are included. I will say we liked Chibang the least but I know others have said they really like it.

I chalk the disembark mess up to PC not the cruise. Your experience echos our Allure experience in Jan. It took FOREVER to get off the ship, getting on the ship was super fast. It seems to be that way everytime in PC. Miami is horrible for embark (so much so i will never go out of there again) but getting off was a breeze, same goes for Fort Lauderdale, it was super easy.

We posted a few times for questions beforehand, and thank you all who contributed. It was super helpful-particularly people who had just recently cruised. We sailed the Odyssey of the Seas, this was our first Royal Caribbean experience, having previously only cruised Disney one time prior to Covid. So in no way do I have a lot of experience to compare anything too, but thought I'd share some thoughts in case this helps anyone else.

Pros (things that were wonderful): I'll probably give my pros here based on "Was it Disney quality?" if that helps.
--The ship was clean and neat, beautiful art work etc. Our ocean view balcony cabin was spacious, the deck was great (comfortable chairs, great view, etc.)
--Broadway style shows may have actually had a slight edge to Disney, the performers were wonderful talented, etc.
--Our main dining room (we did NOT do any specialty restaurants) service was amazing--Disney quality wait staff, etc. in every way. Just wonderful employees.
--Port everglades easy to get into, muster drill efficient and fast, also easy to get off the ship.
--The views were amazing...beautiful blue waters, etc.

Cons: (and full disclosure we were overall very underwhelmed by this experience).
--Port was changed to Nassau at last minute instead of Labadee, we did send an email to RC asking for credits (letting them know it was advertised and marketed as an Eastern Caribbean cruise and not a Bahamian cruise, which we had no interest in), and got a firm no, cited their policy they can change ports and (this was the insulting part) told me I could get a discount if I booked a future cruise while on board. I did respond back (respectful but assertive) and that was over a week ago, I've gotten zero response back from them.
--On board we had 2 staterooms, in our kids rooms the beds were split as we had asked--but super easy fix once we called guest services.
--Drink packages--difficult to use. We got the classic soda for my kids and husband, I got the refreshment package. I attempted to use to the refreshment package at 270 barista station (for both a fresh squeezed juice and a latte morning 1) and was told I could only get one drink and would need to get back in line for a 2nd one. I asked again to clarify, (and said "I'd have to wait in that again"--it was about a 7-10 minute line) and was told "yes, it won't hurt you to wait in line again"...I kid you not that was verbatim. They give you a cup on the soda package and you are expected to carry it with you everywhere (except Windjammer and MDR) if you want to use it, the freestyle coke machines rarely ever had ice in them, lines were long, etc. We did end up "losing" money on the drink packages as they were not easy to use, especially since our Labadee (which should have been inclusive) got switched to Nassau
--theatres--seats very uncomfortable and lots of obstructed views, we even would get there 20-30 minutes early to try and scout out good ones. In Royal theatre almost all the chairs were broken down (this ship was new in 2021 to put it in comparison) and you felt like you were sliding forward a lot. A shame because the shows were the highlight for us.
--excursions--we booked both directly with Royal, and were very disappointed in them. The Puerto Plata was a cooking class and water park. They put the cooking class in middle of the day so we never really had time to enjoy the park before or after before having to get back on the bus. We were very displeased about Nassau, but attempted to make the most and booked the Best of Nassau and Paradise island excursion about $65ish per person--we were taken to Paradise island and parked in the parking lot of the huge Atlantis resort and given 30 minutes to go see it--it felt like we were crashing other people's all inclusive as we peaked at their pools, signs all over trying to block us from using bathrooms, etc. as this must be a common problem for them with these tour buses, etc. and the other stop was to a public park on the beach and you needed additional money to actually go into the fort (which we didn't know to bring) additional money to buy food/drink from the bar area (even though it had told us bottled water was part of this "luxury air conditioned bus" it was never offered, and we were solicited and approached by street vendors almost constantly during the 20 minute stop here). Save your money--excursions based on the 2 we went on, not worth the cost.
--The ship was so boring, very little offerings compared to Disney (or maybe this is just a post-covid thing for all of them) on sea days other than trivia. The arcade was small and many of the machines didn't work, the shared "seaplex" rarely offered anything that we'd do and when it was (laser tag, etc.) it was offered during dinner, the pools were crazy swamped crowded, even in the adult only area and just sensory overload for us--we spent a lot of time in our staterooms. We booked this ship due to the Sky Pad for our teens--they still show it in all their marketing material, including the film showing it as we boarded the ship--but it has been completely taken out and replaced with cornhole. we never got to use the Northstar because you needed advance reservations or you had to pay an upcharge...it never worked.
--The running track is on the same deck as the pool loungers so basically its crowded and unusable all the time, frustrating to both the people trying to use the pool and hot tubs who get smacked by the folks trying to run, and equally frustrating for those trying to use the track and its always wet, and kids are jumping in/out at you. Poor design.
--elevators a nightmare, plan to use the steps and I found horrible for disabled folks. They are motion sensored and the elevators are always packed, so someone is sensoring all the buttons much of the time, making them stop at each floor...so it took forever to get an elevator anytime you needed one.
--Food underwhelming in quality, the El Loco fresh tasted like Taco bell, the pizza so/so, and the main dining room and Windjammer got slightly better over the trip, but nothing to rave home about, Applebees quality?
--My time dining is NOT my Time dining....you need a reservation or you stand in a very long line each night. You make the reservations months in advance and then it often interferes with the time of the nightly shows. Very inflexible and chaotic (A LOT of other guests we spoke too were not happy). Again, good service, just really poor design.
--Royal Promenade--Huge amount of the ship space is devoted to very expensive shopping--I think there were 5 watch stores, I kid you not--Rolex, etc. and I never saw anyone actually purchasing the high end jewelry, sunglasses, handbags, etc. to account for taking up that much ship space). Royal felt a lot "fancier" than Disney in everyway--but while we make a good living, we have no desire to pay thousands of dollars for handbags and jewelry and it would have been nice to see some shopping geared toward just a middle class family. These parts of the ship never crowded, while other parts people are walking all over themselves. Poor design.

Overall:

Underwhelmed, we don't plan to cruise Royal again. Maybe this is just a cruise in general, but we have no desire to go back to Nassau again, it was a huge turn off, so maybe cruising in general is just not our thing (Disney uses this port a lot too). We felt very nickel and dimed on Royal, almost everything is an upcharge (any sort of on ship entertainment, etc.). While not at all Royal's fault, my husband got sea lice exposure (we think anyway--he dipped his feet in for just a second at Chill Island and it was too cold to swim in for our taste so he got out right away) later that evening a rash showed up all over where his feet and ankles had been and he had violent sickness that night (TMI, but both vomiting and diarrhea and just slept all the next day).
It is a shame you didn’t have a good time, but I understand completely. We are Diamond + with Royal Caribbean and have been on 73 cruises (some with other lines) under our belt. As much as I hate to say this, Royal has gone downhill. We were on the Wonder of the Seas March 24-31 W. Caribbean sailing, and it will be our last on Royal. We stayed in a Grand Suite, nice room, but the suite neighborhood is in a bad location. First time ever we were bored on a cruise. Not enough to do. Seriously. Other guest were complaining that the kids clubs and teen club did not have enough activities for the kids. Food quality was really bad, and we ate only in the extra cost restaurants (Chops and 150 Park were good…the rest were really bad). Service was bad (except for the suite neighborhood). Example, we purchased the Thermal Suite in the spa area. Open daily from 8am - 9pm, thermal beds, sauna and steam room. We went one day at 9:30am and it wasn’t working. They said they would call maintenance. Well, nothing was wrong, the staff forgot to turn it on. Instead of apologizing to us they said “oh well, these things happen.” I am really sad as I have always enjoyed Royal Caribbean, but this is the last time we will sail with them.

It is a shame you didn’t have a good time, but I understand completely. We are Diamond + with Royal Caribbean and have been on 73 cruises (some with other lines) under our belt. As much as I hate to say this, Royal has gone downhill. We were on the Wonder of the Seas March 24-31 W. Caribbean sailing, and it will be our last on Royal. We stayed in a Grand Suite, nice room, but the suite neighborhood is in a bad location. First time ever we were bored on a cruise. Not enough to do. Seriously. Other guest were complaining that the kids clubs and teen club did not have enough activities for the kids. Food quality was really bad, and we ate only in the extra cost restaurants (Chops and 150 Park were good…the rest were really bad). Service was bad (except for the suite neighborhood). Example, we purchased the Thermal Suite in the spa area. Open daily from 8am - 9pm, thermal beds, sauna and steam room. We went one day at 9:30am and it wasn’t working. They said they would call maintenance. Well, nothing was wrong, the staff forgot to turn it on. Instead of apologizing to us they said “oh well, these things happen.” I am really sad as I have always enjoyed Royal Caribbean, but this is the last time we will sail with them.
That is so sad. RCI was our go to cruise line. Disney is our favorite but Royal has always been a close second. We have the Icon booked for November and Utopia for January.

That is so sad. RCI was our go to cruise line. Disney is our favorite but Royal has always been a close second. We have the Icon booked for November and Utopia for January.
Icon should be an interesting one. I've been following Chris Wong's videos and it looks pretty wild. But it does look more like a resort at sea vs a cruise ship with fun amenities.

Appreciate the review. Sorry it didn't live up to expectations. I agree that for us we save for nice vacations and when they don't deliver, it's disappointing. We did a Royal Caribbean cruise shortly after COVID on Liberty of the Seas and the television above the pool was broken and had been for months with no plans to fix, the back slide ride was broken and had been for months with no plans to fix. I paid for the Ultimate Dining package and it seemed the employees were really new coming off COVID and the food was sub par (Chops, 4 out of 5 steaks were well overcooked as an example, our kids still talk about the macaroni and cheese with no cheese). We still had fun but felt like what was advertised versus what we got didn't hit the mark.

Last year we went on Quantum of the Seas and the panoramic lift broke while on our cruise and was stated would need a dry dock to repair. Having said that the Quantum overall was amazing with lots to do - we rode bumper cars multiple times, tried roller skating, went to unique shows, did the Flow Rider / attempted rock climbing, did the sky diving, and enjoyed the a la carte places as well as the specialty restaurants (other than Wonderland which had cool looking but bizarre tasting food). We enjoyed the robot bar once making our drinks.

On nickeling and diming, I feel equally nickeled and dimed on Disney. My get of the ship account is always much higher on Disney. Most of the entertainment for adults adds costs - Palo brunch, bingo, and different tasting sessions (which are so pricey now they no longer sell out). Plus the pricing in the Disney store on board is insane, often $30-40 for a t-shirt. The price for Disney whenever I price compare for same itinerary / same date is typically 1.5 times for similar sized room, which pays for any drink or dining packages, typically the excursions, tips, and have some left over. Typically a RCL suite costs about what a balcony does on Disney.

In full disclosure it helps that my wife and I did RCL exclusively pre-kids and are diamond so get 4 drinks free per day, so no need for drink package.

From our two Disney cruises this year the entertainment extra include the characters (which my kids have outgrown) and arts and crafts, which Royal doesn't tend to have. Also a movie theater on Disney. Both RCL and Disney (and Carnival) have trivia non-stop and sales shows (which was new for Disney) listed as entertainment. Royal and Carnival both have more live music than Disney. The pools and slides are preferred on non-Disney by my kids.

Was it Disney quality?
With the price difference between Disney and RC, I'm not sure this is a fair question.

We did NOT do any specialty restaurants
We never do. We find the no-cost food on RC to be good or very good -- but not exceptional. If we get something we don't like, we just change for something else. We've never been unable to find something that's at least good. In my opinion, Royal has two big flaws with food: 1) They skimp on vegetables in the MDR. 2) Their desserts have always been kinda ho-hum.

Port was changed to Nassau
For that, you have my sympathies. We will never go to Nassau again -- never; we didn't feel safe. It was incredibly crowded, and people were actually pushing others on the sidewalks. We may take a cruise that stops in Nassau, but -- if so -- we'll treat it like an at-sea day, and we'll enjoy having a less crowded ship.

Having said that, other people have pointed out that Hati isn't a safe place right now, and -- just as if it'd been a hurricane -- the ship's captain's first responsibility is to keep the ship and the passengers SAFE. I hate it for you, but I don't think Royal did you wrong. It's kinda like the rain that kept us indoors for two days on our last cruise -- just bad luck.

Drink packages -- difficult to use?
Because they wouldn't give you two drinks at once? That has to do with people sharing packages. You absolutely can get a soda without carrying around the drink cup; you just can't get it from the Freestyle Coke machine. You're right about the ice though -- it's often in short supply, and I do mind that.

However, the way the bartender responded to you was inappropriate. I hope you remembered his name /wrote it on the end-of-cruise survey -- or went to Guest Services.

Puerto Plata was a cooking class
Oh, I've been thinking I'd enjoy a cooking class excursion on a cruise!

we booked both directly with Royal, and were very disappointed in them.
Not to rub salt in the wound, but I see your problem: You opted for ship's excursions. Large cattle-calls with uninterested tour guides who've already been paid. They give you two hours in a lackluster straw market that doesn't interest you, then force you to zip by a cute little bar (or bathroom) you would've enjoyed (or needed)!

No, avoid them. Go with private tour guides -- oh, you have to do your homework: Read reviews, etc. online and be sure you're making a good choice. Private tours are smaller, you get more interaction with your tour guide, and you get more options. That they're cheaper is just a bonus!

Or just walk around the port yourself. Do a little homework ahead of time and pick out a couple things you'd enjoy.

The ship was so boring

What? We've never been bored on a cruise! We enjoy hanging around the pool, and we enjoy live music. Not sure I enjoy it all that much, but we use the gym.. We enjoy the afternoon movies, MUTS and the shows. I enjoy the art auction, though I'd never buy anything. We enjoy the parades and dance parties in the Promenade. We enjoy the Pub. My husband loves the sports bar. It's been years since my now-adult children used the kids' clubs, but they loved them.

We spend essentially no time in our stateroom, except sleeping, showering and dressing.

My time dining is NOT my Time dining

I don't understand your complaint here. Maybe it's because we only sail in off-season, but we always make a reservation for dinner, and we are always seated within 5-10 minutes. They didn't care if we were 10-15 minutes early /late for our reservation -- but they did care that we had a reservation.

We did a last minute $99 three-day cruise in December, and we were too late to get into My Time -- had to take Early Dining. It reminded us of why we prefer My Time: We didn't enjoy everyone crowding around the door and going in together. It seemed to be harder for the staff to seat /serve such a large group at once.

Huge amount of the ship space is devoted to very expensive shopping

I'm with you on this one. I'm a bit confused about why people would spend $$$ on watches and jewelry from stores they cannot frequent again later. If they have a problem with that purchase, they have essentially no fallback. I have zero interest in shopping on a cruise.

Having said that, I once accidentally attended a "presentation" on diamond purchasing. (How "accidentally", you ask? I wanted to see the movie Downton Abbey: A New Era, and I went to the wrong place. I sat through 10 minutes or so, foolishly believing that once they finished this ridiculousness, the movie would start.) The man explained how every woman should "aspire" to own five specific diamond pieces. I genuinely wanted to heckle him.

Underwhelmed, we don't plan to cruise Royal again.
No company is for everyone.
I have heard of people booking their own excursions -- I will tell you one thing our tour guide shared wiht us on the excursion at Nassau as he pointed out the US embassy -- is that ON AVERAGE each of those ships leave behind about 20 people a day who don't get back to the ship on time
Wait a minute, wait a minute: The ship's tour guide -- who makes his living from you buying his product -- bad-mouthed the competition, used a fear-mongering technique, and you believed it? That's like McDonald's telling you not to purchase Burger King's food.

No, very few people are left behind on the islands. You might get that idea from reading online boards or watching "Pier Runners" on You Tube, but -- in reality -- the ship will start "checking" for any missing passengers maybe 30-40 minutes before sail-away. That is, they announce every 5 minutes, "Passengers Mary and Bob Smith from Deck 7, please report to Guest Services right away." If they stop announcing, you know that Mary and Bob were found /somehow they got back on the ship without running their Ship ID through the machine, OR they got back at the last minute. I've been on quite a few cruises, and I think I've heard these announcements TWICE.

Also, people gather on Deck 4 or 5 to "watch for Pier Runners". On an average cruise, people see nothing! Yet the urban myth of multitudes of people being left behind persists. Sure, it can happen -- I'm certainly not advocating being lazy about returning on time -- but ships leaving passengers behind is not common at all. Read some of the cruise boards -- how many personal experiences of being left behind do you find?

I think part of the reason we felt "nickel and dimed" was that so many things seemed to cost extra.
Yeah, cruises do offer lots of opportunity to spend money, but we choose not to let it bother us. Rather, we see it as "paying for just what you want". For example, we don't use the arcade or play Bingo, we don't drink much alcohol, and we don't eat at the up-charge restaurants -- and I'm happy not to subsidize those who do partake!

In full disclosure it helps that my wife and I did RCL exclusively pre-kids and are diamond so get 4 drinks free per day, so no need for drink package.
Yes, and since we drive to the port, we bring our own 12-pack sodas -- that's allowed, by the way. And we have a 100% success rate with smuggling on a small amount of alcohol.

I'm sorry you didn't like your cruise vacation. I wish you better luck with your next choice!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter