Just got home from getting DS Standing----

Poohs Pal

DIS Veteran<br>Beautiful and smart so she says<br>
We are so excited. We just came home from getting DS standing wheelchair. We havn't took DS to Disney(since the accident) due to needing to stand every day(blood clots and circulation problems). We have a stander that he gets into for standing and it is to large to take with us. A while back i saw a standing wheelchair on the PBS show about disabilities. I checked into it last year and going through the insurance process was able to finally pick the chair up today. Now DS will be able to go on extended vacations with us. We have a family get together at SSR in December as a graduation present for DS. This chair is awesome. They even put a basket on the bottom so MOM(me) would have a place to put all her bags in while shopping at Disney. This chair is the easiet chair to push around. I could even have got a remote control to use instead of pushing the chair(LOL). My oldest DS who went with me was more impressed with this option than anything else :teeth: . I think i'm more excited about this chair than the new van with a tv and dvd we are getting for him on Friday. only 275d 20h 22m and 5s until our trip. Susan

OK, so you got my attention! My DS (now 7) really misses his stander during vacation. I just can't imagine how it might work.

Could someone post pix or links to sites where a standing wheelchair might be seen?

GREAT NEWS SUSAN!!!! Ypu guys are going to have so much fun. I am so glad you were able to get this!!!!!

I used "The Standing Company." I don't know how to post a link, but they have a web site. They are in Michigan. My son use's a manual wheelchair but they also have electric. They make the wheelchairs on site and can make any changes to the chair that you may need. Very Nice People and the young man that workrd with us will be taking his family to WDW this month and said his wife is Disney obessed, even gets up very early to get the cindy breakfast(LOL). Susan

Cool.
Here is a link for you to the Standing Company. There are other companies that make stanig wheelchairs. I've seen more power children's ones though (it's easier to make a stable stander for shorter people).

If you will be riding the buses make sure before you leave that you know where the safe points are for attaching tiedowns. I mark the tiedown points on DD's wheelchairs with bright hot pink tape. It's real easy to tell the bus drivers that they can use any point marked with hot pink than saying "you can use the horizontal bar to the right of the upright bar."

NOTE FROM SueM in MN.
I AM SO SORRY. I meant to QUOTE your post and I hit EDIT instead.
I ended up deleting some of your post and didn't ralize what I had done until after it was posted. Please re-enter what you had written.
SORRY. :guilty:
SueM in MN

We use a easy lock in our van its the safest way to go and a very fast hook up. Now I just need to get a shade canopy for his chair. Susan
We have an easy lock for DD's power wheelchair. It is so nice to just roll the chair into the right spot and then fasten the seatbelt.

You wanted a canopy? Happy to oblige.
Here are some links:
http://www.quadcontrol.com/wheelchair canopy.htm

http://www.affordableoption.com/canopies.html

http://www.diestco.com/canopies.shtml

Good luck!

SueM in MN. Wow, remember what I wrote yesterday. Half the time I can't remember what I wrote today(LOL). "I think my response was about how it's easier to make a stable stander for shorter people and how important it is for the stander to be stable." I completly agree about the stability. My DS is about 5'8" and 155lbs and this wheelchair work's well for him. The company did add some reinforcement to make it even better for DS. That's what is nice about this company, they make the chairs themselves and can modify the chair to your needs. DS school bus use's plastic tie things to mark the wheelchair for tie downs. Tommorow we pick up the new van. I ordered black and have a pirates of the carribean front plate and antenna topper. My rear plate will be BLACKPRL. Now we are all set for our family vacation of 14 adults and 4 babies all under 18 months. This will include my Grandson 18m, my neice has twin girls(turning 1 while we are on vacation) and my son's nurse whose DD will be 17 m. Sue thanks for the links to the shade canopys. Susan

That sounds like what I erased.
Sorry for taking it out and thanks for re-entering it (I also have problems remembering what I posted after I've done it).

There are hidden dangers to being a Moderator. I think I just won't quote anyone unless I can put my full attention to what I am doing.

Speaking of hitting the wrong button. Is their anything you can do to give me back my sign on the caution sign on the left side of my post. Somehow I think I must have hit the wrong button and I am so computer illiterate (sp) I wouldn't know how to correct this.

I feel like an odd ball enough with the muscle disease (cmt) that I have and you on the disabilities board know what I mean. So If you could help I would appreciate it. I hate being different here too.

And if you are in good with the tag fairy tink is waiting for her wings. Please.

nanatink, Are you talking about the "Yield sign" with a red border around it? It shows up on your post when I look at it. I don't have one on mine, but I don't know if that's becasue I'm one of the people bad posts get reported to.
My best advice would be to post your question on the Tech board. Those people know what they are doing (as opposeed to me, who would have to guess and probably not get it right).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter