Just left DL this morning....

Disneyland1084

OH PLEASE SOMEBODY TELL ME!
after being there almost a week. Honestly, it felt like the pre-pandemic crowds to me. I should have known that getting to experience DL at only 35% capacity was too good to be true. I'd say the crowds were manageable, and the ride wait times weren't always accurate. It said 85 minutes for Splash Mountain one afternoon, I was on it in 30 minutes. I'm happy to see life is getting back to normal, but I guess it's too much to ask to get to experience low crowds at DL, lol. It was my 2 year old DS's first trip there and he loved it. All in all, it was great to be back. Have any other Disers been to DL recently? If so, post about it here.
ETA: I have to say the overall selection of souvenirs in Downtown Disney and both parks was very disappointing. I bought a couple of refrigerator magnets and Christmas ornaments and one shirt. Most Disney trips I buy a LOT!!!!

Last edited:
Just to be clear the 35% was lifted when California reoepend everything on June 15th. While Disney has not released exact numbers or percentages since then , most speculation is between 60 to 80 percent capacity. Glad you still had a good trip :)

Just to be clear the 35% was lifted when California reoepend everything on June 15th. While Disney has not released exact numbers or percentages since then , most speculation is between 60 to 80 percent capacity. Glad you still had a good trip :)
I'd say it felt like 80% to me. I miss it already. Summer of 2022 better get here quick so I can go back. 😊

They are still only at around 50% capacity. It feels more crowded because parades and shows haven't returned so people don't have many places to go if they aren't on rides or in queues.
Source? Not saying it's untrue, but I've never seen Disney officially announce numbers or capacity restrictions in place after June 15th.

This is known as Post Disney Depression (PDD). It's real, and there is only one cure... start planning! :thumbsup2
Oh believe me, I already am. We weren't even half way through this trip when we were already talking about what hotel to stay at next year, lol. We stayed at Park Vue Inn this time, which is a motel directly across the street. Next year we want to stay at one with a waterslide, so we're thinking Howard Johnson or Anaheim Marriott theme park.

Source? Not saying it's untrue, but I've never seen Disney officially announce numbers or capacity restrictions in place after June 15th.
It is about 50% currently. Source? Nothing I will name, but I know.... Take it or leave it.

That said, staffing is currently about 55%. They don't expect to be back to 100% anytime soon. And while we enjoyed our "low crowds" of 15-25% in May, and the 35% in early June, I have enjoyed seeing things start to look more normal. (Fireworks, buffets....) OPening day "crowds" were fun, but man the place looked bare. Memorial Day weekend, you could feel the difference between opening day and the elevated 30-35%. Avengers weekend also felt busier but I think because we were still doing the social distancing. After that we weren't back again til the 4th of July and you could start feeling the uptick. By July 17th weekend, with masks ending, Disney also increased capacity, which we have been feeling now. Last weekend, while it felt "busy", walking out of the park after fireworks was nothing like it was during pre pandemic. You COULD walk. My next trip is in a couple weeks and I don't expect it to be much different.

Oh believe me, I already am. We weren't even half way through this trip when we were already talking about what hotel to stay at next year, lol. We stayed at Park Vue Inn this time, which is a motel directly across the street. Next year we want to stay at one with a waterslide, so we're thinking Howard Johnson or Anaheim Marriott theme park.
It is a little further, but I have heard good things about the water park at the Cambria on Katella.

I've posted this before but it's been proven to be VERY accurate so far...

I've been monitoring the Reservation Calendar almost daily since May. Along with best case guesses, rumors and assumptions. Take everything posted in this section with a grain of salt.

April/May - Back when DLR re-opened, it was rumored that park capacity was at 15-20%
Mid May - More reservation dates opened, it was rumored that park capacity was increased to 25%
Early June - More reservation dates opened, it was rumored that park capacity was increased to 30%
June 15 - Out of State Guest are allowed back, more reservation dates opened, it was rumored that park capacity was increased to 35%
Late June - More reservation dates opened, it was rumored that park capacity was increased to 40-50%

As of July 1st, only half of the 32,000 Disneyland Employees have returned to work. Currently DLR has 15,000 cast members and expects to hire another 1,000 this summer.

Disney CEO Bob Chapek recently said he expects low double digit attendance increases over the next several months and reach full capacity by the fall of 2021. Based on his comments, is it reasonable to expect the following increases....

August - expected low double digit capacity increase to 60%
September - expected low double digit capacity increase to 70%
October - expected low double digit capacity increase to 80%

We just got done with a trip, and most of it was during a week. It felt worse than pre-Covid! Could be because it is in summer and just everyone wants to get out, could be less staff working, could be the fact that many people work from home. Anyone have any idea if there’s a clear cut reason why things were so crowded? It was absolutely insane trying to get a bus at night, and last time we went a couple years back hardly anyone was getting on this buses. I’m just curious, because everything from last time just seemed flipped on it’s head. Every intuition I had was wrong from last time. Just looking for some input/commiseration here :)

We recently returned from a 4 day visit, and it seemed very crowded to me, too. We rope dropped every day and still weren't able to get as much done as we thought we would. I even found some of the rides actually had longer wait times than posted. We still had a good time, but it definitely felt very busy!

We just got done with a trip, and most of it was during a week. It felt worse than pre-Covid! Could be because it is in summer and just everyone wants to get out, could be less staff working, could be the fact that many people work from home. Anyone have any idea if there’s a clear cut reason why things were so crowded? It was absolutely insane trying to get a bus at night, and last time we went a couple years back hardly anyone was getting on this buses. I’m just curious, because everything from last time just seemed flipped on it’s head. Every intuition I had was wrong from last time. Just looking for some input/commiseration here :)

A bus to where?

We just finished 4 days in the parks. It was definitely crowded but we've seen way worse crowds. The part that was always wall to wall people pre-covid is the walkway between Astro Orbiter and Star Tours/Buzz. This time, we were able to walk through with a lot of daylight between us and other ppl. The waits, while not great for those used to fastpass, weren't as high as they were in the past. I always remembered RSR to be like a 2-3 hour wait standby. It was often in the 75 to maybe 90 min range (except for one day where everything in the park seemed to have terrible waits.)

I have to agree with the merchandise comment! I found the stores lacking in merch.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter