Just need words of encouragement, support or advice for medical emergency

My dad had a quadruple bypass at age 75. The recovery process was moderate. Not too hard, but not necessarily easy either. It literally saved his life and he lived until 3 days before his 94th birthday. He did have one other heart attack during that time but did well after getting a stent. I hope your husband does well.

From what I know there's been two experiences.

My husband's grandmother had a quadruple or quintuple bypass I can't remember. She was a smoker though (not as bad as my grandparents but still) and was told she can never smoke again. I believe this was when she was in her late 70s/early 80s I'm blanking on when. She also has discovered she has blood cancer which turns her blood very very thick and has to take medications and treatments over time. I think she does a medical procedure to remove her blood periodically.

My uncle had a double or triple I can't remember bypass, he was in his late 60s. He was also advised to stop smoking prior to surgery as well as for him. I think they had him lose a bit of weight but not much as he wasn't too bad in that department. In his case his surgery turned more serious as he got compartment syndrome in one of his legs. It was worrisome for a bit where they were not confident that the leg would not need to be amputated (it was apparently that bad) but it ended okay. He did however have to go to PT for his leg for quite a while afterwards because that compartment syndrome took a toll on it. It's been at least several years since and he's normal.

I'm sure in both of the above their doctors advised lifestyle and dietary changes. The smoking cessation is the only part I'm fully aware of though.

Diet, lifestyle (including exercise or lack there of really), weight, genetics can all play a role. I do agree that in most places calling 9-1-1 for chest pains is going to get you higher priority. IMO you shouldn't do it for that reason but rather chest pains can turn very serious. The diabetes diagnosis to me isn't entirely unsurprising. It's entirely possible he has been pre-diabetic for years. My dad has Type 2 diabetes and we've been under a watch basically since birth. We (meaning my sister and I) used to have basically yearly blood work as kids due to that. While people absolutely develop it without family members having it, it also is something that has its way going through families. May want to discuss with him if he knows of any family members had it.

On the one hand I'm glad you've got diagnoses, medications, and medical procedures done to hopefully steer him to a good long path, on the other hand I feel for how scared you must have felt and how very overwhelming I'm sure it felt (and still probably does) :grouphug: I remember how worried I was with my uncle especially when it came to the leg issue. I agree that it really can hit the family members sometimes harder than the patient. Maybe try and see if you have some support system just to be there to vent or just to be the people that help take your mind off of it. Sometimes we all need that outlet where we can just let our minds concentrate on anything but the constant worry back at home :flower3:

Hi-I'm still here. I've read all your messages. I've tried giving the thumbs up to as many as possible, obviously doesn't mean I liked what happened or the circumstances. I just wanted to acknowledge you and your experience. You guys have given me hope that it might be okay so thank you very much. Didn't get much sleep, woke up shaking uncontrollably and felt like my heart was beating out of its chest. I tried lying on my stomach for awhile to calm myself down.

There is still no word on when the surgery might take place. There's just a lot of anxiety because we're in limbo and thinking about what could happen to him while he's waiting. The only thing new they did yesterday was sonogram of his heart, which I'm told looks great. (I wasn't there because I had left to go home and take care of some outstanding bills.) I find that ironic but I guess it's the arteries leading to the heart (blockages) that is causing all of this. He is on a lot of medication and I'm trying to keep track of it all. Now a continuous IV of heparin, lisinopril, some other blood pressure/heart med that starts with an m, lipitor, insulin shots. They prick a finger before every meal and at bedtime.

I wish I could trade places with him, I would do it in a heart beat! This is an absolute nightmare that I'm living in but I thank all of you for helping me feel like I'm not alone and I'm truly grateful.

It may be Metoprolol that he’s on. I know how overwhelming and scary it all is. I felt it was scary to be thrown into this nightmare, not realizing there were any issues at all. We were good one minute, the next facing triple bypass.

DH was given a pillow in the shape of a heart to hold against him when coughing, sneezing, etc. He did go to cardiac rehab after surgery. I have to say, once we were through it, we were so very grateful and felt so blessed to have a second chance in life.

My dad was 80 (31 years ago) when he had an emergency quadruple bypass and valve replacement. He recovered very well and lived to be almost 90. He died of cancer and did not have any more heart issues after his surgery. I remember he went through a little depression after the surgery and we were told this was perfectly normal. Dr. said he would be back to normal (both physically and mentally) in about six months and they were right.

Wishing you and your husband all the best.

Last edited:

:hug: You gotten lots of good info already, but I just wanted to add another post of reassurance. - My DH and FIL have both gone through quadruple bypass, and both did well after and are still here now.

It is a whirlwind of scary emotions when it's all happening, but looking back, we're grateful that it was caught, and the techniques were there to treat it. My best advice is:

1. Write down any instructions you're given.
2. Start slow with exercise, but keep at it.
3. Make sure to tend to mental health as well as physical.

My father had a quadruple bypass in 1996 at the age of 49. He is still here at age 76 and doing great all these years later. He eats a heart healthy diet and walks several miles daily. He is followed by a cardiologist.

I've been on that road both as a patient and a spouse for over 20 years. DH is a (now retired) ER doc but served as a Marine in Vietnam and was exposed to agent orange. That really messed up his pulmonary and cardiac systems. He has had 35 heart caths, 14 stents, and multiple interventions but he is a great patient and follows instructions. I have congenital cardiac abnormalities and am currently recovering from an aortic valve replacement. While the cardiac care has improved exponentially over the past 20 years, access to it is getting harder and harder to obtain. DH has seen it from both sides.

Just a few weeks ago before my valve replacement (which was already scheduled), I was in serious trouble and went to the ER. Sitting in the waiting room with my ER doc DH, with a blood pressure of 220/130, unable to breath, chest pains, and known heart issues, the ER department didn't have even a gurney in the hall for me. They were so overwhelmed with other patients, I had to wait 35 minutes after triage to be seen. It wasn't neglect or bad medicine. They just simply didn't have enough staff on a very busy day. I knew that if I passed out, DH would get me help asap and knew what to do. Years ago when DH started his cardiac history, medical care wasn't as difficult to receive in an emergency.

I have a few recommendations for everyone, based on our experiences.
-Listen to the GREAT advice on this thread. Don't wait! Call an ambulance!
-Don't let Dr. Google or your neighbor's second cousin dictate your medical care. Stick with the professionals and follow their advice. If you don't know what to ask, say so. Often, DH's doctors would talk professional-to-professional with my DH and I wouldn't get it all. I started saying things like, "what do you wish all patients or families would know?" "What is that medicine for?" Write down anything that scares, confuses, or baffles you and ask about it. Sometimes I would tell the doctor what I thought he said to ask if I understood it correctly. If your are stressed or your head is spinning, tell them. They will understand!
-Getting fast emergency care in some locations is not as easy as it used to be due to multiple, plausible reasons. All the more reason to call an ambulance or not wait to get help. (I'm definitely NOT slamming medical professionals! Staffing and patient loads are at a critical level in many areas.)
-If you are reading this and are the patient that is hesitating to get emergency help, please don't do that to your family.
-If you are the family member, take deep breaths and learn all that you can.
-If you are the patient, be proactive and aware. Don't wait!

OP, so glad your DH is getting the help he needs and thanks for posting. Your story can help others!

I've been on that road both as a patient and a spouse for over 20 years. DH is a (now retired) ER doc but served as a Marine in Vietnam and was exposed to agent orange. That really messed up his pulmonary and cardiac systems. He has had 35 heart caths, 14 stents, and multiple interventions but he is a great patient and follows instructions. I have congenital cardiac abnormalities and am currently recovering from an aortic valve replacement. While the cardiac care has improved exponentially over the past 20 years, access to it is getting harder and harder to obtain. DH has seen it from both sides.

Just a few weeks ago before my valve replacement (which was already scheduled), I was in serious trouble and went to the ER. Sitting in the waiting room with my ER doc DH, with a blood pressure of 220/130, unable to breath, chest pains, and known heart issues, the ER department didn't have even a gurney in the hall for me. They were so overwhelmed with other patients, I had to wait 35 minutes after triage to be seen. It wasn't neglect or bad medicine. They just simply didn't have enough staff on a very busy day. I knew that if I passed out, DH would get me help asap and knew what to do. Years ago when DH started his cardiac history, medical care wasn't as difficult to receive in an emergency.

-Don't let Dr. Google or your neighbor's second cousin dictate your medical care. Stick with the professionals and follow their advice. If you don't know what to ask, say so. Often, DH's doctors would talk professional-to-professional with my DH and I wouldn't get it all. I started saying things like, "what do you wish all patients or families would know?" "What is that medicine for?" Write down anything that scares, confuses, or baffles you and ask about it. Sometimes I would tell the doctor what I thought he said to ask if I understood it correctly. If your are stressed or your head is spinning, tell them. They will understand!
-Getting fast emergency care in some locations is not as easy as it used to be due to multiple, plausible reasons. All the more reason to call an ambulance or not wait to get help. (I'm definitely NOT slamming medical professionals! Staffing and patient loads are at a critical level in many areas.)
-If you are reading this and are the patient that is hesitating to get emergency help, please don't do that to your family.

OP, so glad your DH is getting the help he needs and thanks for posting. Your story can help others!
Sorry to hear both of you going through so much, Claudia. Wishing you both improved health. Having met and talked with you both in years past, I know you speak from personal experience and good knowledge.

So nice of everyone to share their stores! Thanks, all! I’m sure they’ve been helpful to the OP.

I’d add to @Claudia1 (who is 100% spot on about staffing today in ERs and hospitals, and gee, I’m sorry to hear about your husband’s issues, please thank him for his service and tell him “Welcome Home” for me) to be sure to utilize your nurse if you didn’t catch everything that was said. If we don’t know the answer we can ask to find out. (Oftentimes I try to stay when things are being explained, if I can, so that I can help with understanding afterward.) Additionally, it is good to keep notes but a lot of information is electronic now, and it’s pretty comprehensive. My own DH had an ER trip and hospital admission recently, too (and yes, overnight on a stretcher in the ER from previous afternoon), and I think there were 12 pages of information given upon discharge and I felt like they covered just about everything.

@Shellsbutt I have never personally experienced a cardiac event (knock on wood) but I was, out of the blue, diagnosed with a pretty aggressive case of cancer at a time when I was least expecting it. (My twins were just five yrs old and I was devastated; it launched me into a year’s worth of difficult treatment.) I feel like there are a lot of similarities and I will sometimes talk about that very thing with patients who are feeling that devastation during a time like this. It’s good to know that others have been through these types of medical crises and come out the other side.

A crisis can only last so long before it becomes more accepted. You should be feeling a little better about things (if not yet, then soon) now that you have more information and things have stabilized for your DH. He should be ok prior to the surgery. We often have people hanging out waiting for their surgeries and they are usually ok, so hang in there. (If he has further pain they can deal with it fairly easily and quickly.) The important thing for both of you is to try to relax as much as you can. I know it‘s hard. There’s still a long road but you’re on your way already and past the admittedly really awful part of facing this reality.

I also thought I’d add that surgery for the coronary arteries takes place on the outside of the heart. Valve surgery takes place on the inside of the heart. (I’ve heard it called the “true” open heart surgery before.) In some cases today there are minimally invasive surgeries for valves, but not everyone qualifies for those and traditional surgery is still recommended. ETA Recovery is similar from both surgeries.

Last edited:

Claudia-thank you so much for sharing your experience and that of your husband-how scary for both of you. Everyone has given me such great advice and shared so many personal stories. I'm trying to take it all in and please don't be offended if I don't reply personally to you but know I have read every post and thank you for taking time to write. I truly feel supported and it has given me strength.

:hug: You gotten lots of good info already, but I just wanted to add another post of reassurance. - My DH and FIL have both gone through quadruple bypass, and both did well after and are still here now.

It is a whirlwind of scary emotions when it's all happening, but looking back, we're grateful that it was caught, and the techniques were there to treat it. My best advice is:

1. Write down any instructions you're given.
2. Start slow with exercise, but keep at it.
3. Make sure to tend to mental health as well as physical.
Thank you PollyannaMom for your reassurance and advice.

I don't have anything to add to the heart related discussion, but as someone who has dealt with very high stress events/situations and also suffers from anxiety, please take care of YOURSELF during this time as well. You will be no good to your husband if you are also struggling. Anxiety can take a toll and cause very real physical problems. Your recent post indicated that you are likely having panic attacks. Take that seriously. You don't want to end up in the cardiac department next to your husband.

Speak to your doctor about getting some short term anxiety meds to take as needed, so that you can remain calm and focus on what you need to do to take care of your husband.

I don't have anything to add to the heart related discussion, but as someone who has dealt with very high stress events/situations and also suffers from anxiety, please take care of YOURSELF during this time as well. You will be no good to your husband if you are also struggling. Anxiety can take a toll and cause very real physical problems. Your recent post indicated that you are likely having panic attacks. Take that seriously. You don't want to end up in the cardiac department next to your husband.

Speak to your doctor about getting some short term anxiety meds to take as needed, so that you can remain calm and focus on what you need to do to take care of your husband.
Thank you DLgal-you are correct, I suffer from anxiety/depression, have struggled for many years. I honestly don't care at the moment though and I know I should.

Back from morning hospital visit and it was not good, in fact quite terrifying. My husband was on his phone with work/his boss trying to get stuff straightened out for leave of absence or disability and started having chest pains. I called the nurse and she took an EKG which was okay. Cardiologist came in during episode and basically repeated what he has said for the last two days-don't know when he will get transferred to other hospital for surgery, still waiting. My husband said so basically I need to have a heart attack to be moved. I'm just in a negative head space right now. Just want him stable to survive long enough for surgery and chance at life. And I called his boss and told him in future to call and speak only to me if he has questions.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter