Just Returned! Had a Great Trip.

cdpa4d

DIS Veteran
Hi Everyone,
Just returned from our Universal/Disney trip. Spent 2 nights at HRH and had a great time. As heard several times on this board, staying on-site is the best. We saved so much time and frustration with lines. It was worth every bit of the $125 a night we paid. Also got a room upgrade, from garden to pool view for free with Lowes card. I will post a trip report in the near future with all my details and observations. Here are some quick observations:
All the rides were open. No maintenance on rides.
It was hot! Be prepared for the extreme heat and sun.
HRH is an awesome hotel. The staff was great! Love the pool.
Food at the hotels is expensive. Eat at the parks or City Walk!
Crowds at the parks were steady. Glad we had FOTL.

As I left to return home to the Indianapolis area, I kept wishing I lived closer to enjoy the parks more often. Once a year just doesn't cut it for me. Barry, Robin, and Florida residents, you are lucky to be able to just drive to the parks. I've already begun to plan next years trip on April 26th - May 3rd 2003. Can't wait!
Thanks everybody for the great info. I used all your tips very often. These tips saved me time, frustration and money. My wife wondered how I new so much. I gave you guys full credit.
Thanks,
ADP
;)

Hi-Glad you had a great trip. Would you mind answering a question for me?

We're doing the Universal/Disney thing in June. Staying at the HRH for two nights also. Did you find you needed that third day at Universal? Our plan is to do the studios the day we arrive, probably get ther around 1pm. The following day do IOA then check out early on the third day and head to Disney (want to get E-Night tickets for that night).

Does this sound reasonable? Will Front of the Line Access really make that big of a difference?

And finally - - Did you feel at all disappointed with WDW after the perks and smaller crowds at Universal? I know...that was more than one question. Would appreciate any help.

Rojoe

I have to tell you that after going to us/ioa with fotl I am spoiled. We first went to wd but after going to HRH with fotl I was destroyed when it comes to Disney, can no longer wait on 45-60 minute lines when at IOA or US just flash the room key and step right in. I was so frustrated waiting in line at Disney that it ruined my day even though I used to love Disney. Be careful after 1 day of Fotl you will be so spoiled you might not want to go back to Disney.

Thats what I'm afraid of!!!! Especially with an 11 and 13 year old!!

Anyone else have any input??? Rojoe

Hi Rojoe,
I can answer your questions based on my personal feelings.
Two days at the parks is plenty of time provided you have FOTL. You will especially need it if you are going in June. That should be a very busy time with school being out for Summer session. You will definately benefit staying at the HRH and using FOTL. You should be able to enjoy all the rides with FOTL in the timeframe you described. However, you may not be able to enjoy some of the other amenities HRH offers. We spent 3 hours at the pool. The HRH pool is awesome. The slide is the best. Set aside some time to enjoy the pool. It's well worth it. Keep in mind if you wanted to stay at Universal a third day that your FOTL will be good the day you check-out of the HRH. They will let you keep your room key and use it at the parks for FOTL.
As for WDW. It was a little tough not having FOTL at Disney. I will tell you that the crowds at Universal and Disney were about the same. The lines at Disney were not that bad, but FOTL would have been nice. I really loved it at Universal. You will probably notice the difference. Hope you have a great trip.
ADP
;)

Hi cdpa4D: Thanks for your reply. I am just starting to hear things about the HRH pool so I will definitely leave time for that. I'm not sure if we will stay that third day or not. As I said in my last post I will be trying to get E-night tickes for 6/28. Since we've never done that before either I'm not sure if those tickets sell out. I think we will just play it by ear, after all, if we don't kick back then what's the point of a vacation. Thanks again and glad you had a great trip. Rojoe

Hi Rojoe, just my 2 cents. I figured it would dissapointing to go to WDW after HRH/USF-IOA so I always leave that for the end of my trip. I visit Disney first and leave USF for the end and go home very happy! One thing about HRH while it is a beautiful pool its not very deep! If you are going with swimming on your mind, forget it! Its usually packed and its very shallow but loads of fun with the slide and the music everywhere. I'm a swimmer so I was kind of disappointed in the depth of the pool but there is slide and there are also 2 hot tubs, one at either end of the pool which are very soothing at the end of the day. The FOTL access is the BEST! You can definitely see everything in 2 days, more than enough time. As you can see from my signature I went twice in 2001 and the Xmas visit was with my 70 yo Mom and we still saw everything and had time to see a movie and sit down dinner at HR Cafe all in one day! So have fun and enjoy your stay. This July I'll be trying Royal Pacific Resort. Can't wait!

Originally posted by rojoe

And finally - - Did you feel at all disappointed with WDW after the perks and smaller crowds at Universal? I know...that was more than one question. Would appreciate any help. Rojoe

Well I for one haven't been back to WDW since I have stayed at Universal resorts & experienced Express with the room key! I am going back to WDW this Christmas break & for NYE but am dreading the lines! I not only love the room key express but the luxurious rooms at the resorts & the better prices for park passes & rooms.

the only thing I miss is Goofy, he is the real King at Disney better than that hyped Mouse :smooth: . Any one who goes to US/IOA and has the chance to stay there is hooked the fotl, the people , the HRH pool and the nice people you can not beat it. 2 weeks to go and I can not wait, might have to go to Sea World one day to see the Main Man SHAMU. Oh yes!!!!!!!!

Which rides at IOA are not included in fotl. I am assuming the flying unicorn, and the one fish 2 fish ride.?:Pinkbounc

One fish, two fish DOES have fotl / express. You just have to go all the way around to the back of the ride to find the express lane.
That is one of my 3 yr olds favorite rides and we did it over and over and over. It is also one of the only rides where we got some sneers for passing by everyone that was waiting. I can understand it though, its so hard to wait with little kids. I did start talking to 2 moms who wanted to know how they could get fotl. I told them "Disboards.com". I never would have found such great advice without reading it here.

Originally posted by jpinj1
Which rides at IOA are not included in fotl. I am assuming the flying unicorn, and the one fish 2 fish ride.?:Pinkbounc

Both of them are included in Express. The Flying P.'s are not, can't think of anything else not included.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter