Just the two of us...no dining plan, no discounts, no allergies...lots of pics! COMPLETE

What a disappointing experience at Nine Dragons, but the sweet surprise was the perfect way to end the day! Happy Birthday!

Note: if you stay at All-Stars Music and want to order pizza or wings and such in the room, you actually have that option. There is a menu by the tv

IMG_20200121_221742513.jpgIMG_20200121_221804692.jpgIMG_20200121_221815964.jpg

Last edited:
Really enjoying your trip report, except perhaps for the story about the kid. That would’ve completely grossed me out!

Next up for this 60-year-old :oops: was Magic Kingdom day. It was supposed to be slightly warmer out. And I do mean slightly, but we'll take it!

We had a fast pass for our fave Haunted Mansion, then an ADR at Beauty and the Beast. I was very excited for Beauty and the Beast as it was our first time.

We arrived fifteen minutes early but the guy that checked his ipad didn't question the time, just let us get in line. Yes, an ADR here means you are a welcome guest to stand in a line. You wait in the line outside. Then when you get in, you see this line.

IMG_20200122_114634698.jpg

Reactions: DLo
Let me tell you, as short as this line inside is, it hardly moves! Eventually you will be led to a kiosk to place your order.

IMG_20200122_114657248.jpg

You would think because they give you menus when you check in outside that everyone would be ready to order at those kiosks when the get to them. Such is apparently not the case, because there appeared to be a lot of confusion all around. Once we got to one, we quickly ordered our choices, tapped the magic band (too bad the magic band doesn't mean it's magically free) and headed in to find a place to land. Now I had read in reviews that the most fun room was the dark one with the rose and the thunder. So Husband (who surprisingly had even heard me) headed straight there, and plopped down at the only smaller table (could have held four instead of the two of us), that was next to the rose, although not visible unless one stood up. When I said...uh, it's so DARK in here, maybe we should move. He said, that would make it hard for them to find us since we already sat down. So, being the considerate people we were 🙄 we stayed put. And let me tell you, it was DARK. If you like to see what you are eating, don't do as we did.

Another large table must have felt the same way. They sat down. Changed their minds. Their food arrived. Confused Servers. Okay, Husband was right.

We both ordered a glass of Bordeaux ($10 each), but still wanted water. I got up and asked a staff member where I could find water and he said to the right of the ice, and that there were cups there. I grabbed a couple cups, filled them with ice, and put in whatever was to the right of the ice. It was not water. Not sure what it was. Would have loved water, but I couldn't SEE.

Soon our glasses of wine arrived along with our food, on covered trays. I was pleasantly surprised for real glass and real plates. Husband got the French Dip Sandwich and Fries and was quite pleased with it. When I asked if it was dry, he said "that's what the jus is for". Smart man.

IMG_20200122_121156151.jpg

We had also ordered the soup of the day which was a corn bisque with a little chile oil and bacon. This was super yummy! Would have especially loved it even more if both the wine and the soup could have arrived before the entrees, but that's not how they operate here. Both of us loved this soup!

IMG_20200122_121201848.jpg

I knew before leaving town that I was going to get:

Braised Chicken (Coq Au Vin Style)
Coq Au Vin Braised Chicken in White Wine with Bacon, Mushrooms, Roasted Asparagus, Blistered Heirloom Tomatoes, and Braised Leeks served with Mashed Potatoes

Despite having mushrooms in it (which I don't do), everything else sounded amazing to me and I couldn't wait to sink my teeth into it!

IMG_20200122_121212480.jpg

This dish could have been perfection with just a few minor tweaks. First of all it was out of balance...way too much chicken and not enough taters.
The smoked tomatoes were surprisingly the best part of the dish, but did they go with the chicken? Would have expected pearl onions with this style of chicken. There was so MUCH chicken. I couldn't finish it all. At least three big pieces, and maybe four small bites of the luscious taters. Same with the asparagus, a few small bites. I will also say there was a spice or something in the dish that I felt didn't quite go with it. Whatever it was I didn't recognize it, and I'm usually pretty good with that kind of thing. Let me tell you though, I would eat those smoked tomatoes again anytime! And would have happily traded two pieces of chicken for a big spoonful of taters, and another spear or two of asparagus.

Nice touch to this place: a manager came around and asked us how things were!

Then the ah HAH nice touch: another manager came around to check on us. This is when I realized that it was probably a nice way of saying you've been here too long. Please move on. We need the table. Not that we had been there that long. Maybe 35 minutes.

Walking around on the way out, if I were to do it again, I would probably prefer this room, so I could SEE what I was eating (especially important when one is trying to avoid 'shrooms).

IMG_20200122_124810936.jpgIMG_20200122_124833136.jpg

We ventured back out into the crowded park. After enjoying what we could get into and doing our Peter Pan fast pass, Husband suggested we take a break, hop the monorail and find a bar. Have I mentioned how much I love this man? :worship:

I told him I had heard Trader Sam's Grotto at the Polynesian was lots of fun, so we went looking for it. Only to discover there was a 30-40 minute wait. Wah! Putting our pouty faces away we remembered Tambu Lounge from a previous trip. We got lucky with two open bar seats and fabulous Bartender Christine. I found a red wine I really liked for $11. Husband tried a Whiskey Breeze.

IMG_20200122_164357471.jpg

Husband liked his refreshing drink just fine, but switched to bourbon straight up for round two. I loved my wine enough to have it again for round two.
We enjoyed our time at Tambu Lounge, and Christine took such good care of us that we decided to stay and try for Trader Sam's the next day. Back to the park we went to check in for our 7:05 ADR at The Plaza.

But of course they were "running behind". With an estimate of 15 minutes, they took a phone number and we went off to hit a few shops. This proved to be profitable for the birthday gal. I have always loved bows, and magically one of the shops had a bow ring! With apologies for the dry wrinkly fingers, I have to show off this pretty ring. Guaranteed to make a gal find some hand lotion.

IMG_20200122_193550818.jpg

Sure enough at the fifteen minute mark, we got the magic text that our table was ready. Of course, this Gal knew before I left Raleigh what I would order here. Yes, the Kentucky Hot Brown was literally the only thing on the menu that had appealed to me. I told Husband about it and he was going to order it also. You know what's coming, right? IT'S NOT ON THE MENU ANYMORE! :charac2:

IMG_20200122_192427943.jpg

sigh...decisions decisions...We started with drinks. I stuck with my Red Wine thing, while Husband did what one really should do here...get a milkshake! Especially when they are all you can drink. My wine came out pretty quickly, while his milkshake certainly did not.

IMG_20200122_193111271.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter