Keeping kids healthy at WDW

TinkB278

DIS Veteran
Hi there! I will be bringing two kids (3.5 and 8 months) to Disney next May and then again in September. I was wondering if anyone had any tricks for keeping kids healthy at WDW. We took our oldest last May and I was so happy thinking we made it through the trick without getting sick, and then two nights after we got home we were woken up by him having a terrifying croup cough. He was very sick and had a high temp for several days, which I ended up catching from him a few days later. I’m fairly certain that if he didn’t get sick, I never would have . One big thing that stresses me out is we eat pretty healthy and all organic (mostly gluten/grain free) at home. At Disney we stay in studios (September we will be in two bedrooms which will be another story) so we can’t really cook our own food, but I would like any tips from other healthy eaters as I’m sure the decline in his diet for the week didn’t help.

Obviously it’s impossible to prevent all sickness but I want to minimize our chances as much as possible with a baby.

Thanks for all thoughts and suggestions!!

Not really answering your question, but I've read some research on vacation and satisfaction, and most people tend to start getting sick/rundown around day 3-5 (?). Our immune system likes regular sleep, regular eating and all the habits we don't keep on vacation. On a 7 day schedule Day 1 and 2 are the happiest, day 3 to 5 happiness/satisfaction is at the lowest (your stomach isn't happy with everything different you're eating, you're over tired, etc), day 6 and 7 you actually get happy again because you're ready to go home.

Keep em hydrated, have them follow their regular sleep cycle if possible, and just eat the best you can. The air is different, the pollens are different, the water is different, and some immune systems just don't like when they're in a different biome.

Yes, I was going to suggest making sure you don't overdo it during the day. Don't stay up too much later than normal just to wear yourself out. We all feel we need to see all the fireworks and make it worth the ticket price. I'd rather be rested and enjoy what I can during the trip.

We have little kids and we do see the fireworks but that's about 1 day out of the week. None of us stay up late at home.

I also think it's very sporadic about getting sick while away. You are exposed to a large group of people, but there are plenty of times where you don't get sick. (in our experience, we have not been sick while at or after Disney) Now I just jinxed us!

I also think it's very sporadic about getting sick while away. You are exposed to a large group of people, but there are plenty of times where you don't get sick. (in our experience, we have not been sick while at or after Disney) Now I just jinxed us!

My friend's son went from being happy and excited about a vacation to running a fever within the course of one plane flight. She was just happy they weren't going to Disney. But it also shows, you can get sick anytime.

This is one of my biggest fears on vacation; getting sick. We've had a couple issues in our travels but only had plans derailed by a day or day and a half. Well... other than two vacations cancelled (including a disney trip) because someone in our family came down with covid just days before leaving. Which, frankly, I'm just thankful it happened BEFORE we left.

Masks aren't required in airports or planes anymore, but we'll be wearing them. Also, if you've never used a Neti Pot, I highly recommend them. Only use with water that has been boiled or distilled. Water temp should be comfortably warm when using. I always flush my sinuses after flying just in case. And we always get plenty hydrated a few days before leaving, and continue through with that on our trip.

At those ages, the biggest challenge will be keeping them from touching everything and subsequently touching their own face/mouth/nose. Carry plenty of wipes and use them often. Keep the little one in a stroller or baby-wearing as much as possible. If the older one has been at preschool he may or may not be familiar with and practicing the concept of keeping his hands to himself. Keep some little toys or distractions on hand for use in the queues to keep them busy; maybe some new items that only come out when in queues.

Hi there! I will be bringing two kids (3.5 and 8 months) to Disney next May and then again in September. I was wondering if anyone had any tricks for keeping kids healthy at WDW. We took our oldest last May and I was so happy thinking we made it through the trick without getting sick, and then two nights after we got home we were woken up by him having a terrifying croup cough. He was very sick and had a high temp for several days, which I ended up catching from him a few days later. I’m fairly certain that if he didn’t get sick, I never would have . One big thing that stresses me out is we eat pretty healthy and all organic (mostly gluten/grain free) at home. At Disney we stay in studios (September we will be in two bedrooms which will be another story) so we can’t really cook our own food, but I would like any tips from other healthy eaters as I’m sure the decline in his diet for the week didn’t help.

Obviously it’s impossible to prevent all sickness but I want to minimize our chances as much as possible with a baby.

Thanks for all thoughts and suggestions!!
for keeping hands busy has the older one found "pop its" yet. if not interduce one soon. great way to keep hands busy and off things you do not him touching

These are our general rules for everyday life. The best thing to do is to keep their hands clean. Don't give them anything to eat unless their hands are clean. Kids touch everything and like to put their fingers in their mouth. I would always wipe their hands down when they were little and made sure that everyone washed their hands often when they were old enough. We never touch any food before we wash our hands. So if we were getting popcorn, my husband would go buy it and we would go wash our hands, then he would hand it off and then go wash his hands before anyone actually touched the food. Same at restaurants, order your food and then go wash your hands.

I doubt that your child getting sick had much to do with eating unhealthy for a week. It doesn't go that fast.

Not touching your face goes a very long way, further than food.

Start teaching them not to touch their face now. This is a hard habit to break and it will take time. Of course, you will give the right example 😉

Try to stick to a routine similar to at home. You can stretch bed times a little bit, you are on holiday, but keep some consistency. Let the kids determine your tempo.

Be on the look out for meltdowns and try to prevent them. Even when it means leaving lines or the parks. When a kid is having a meltdown it will be harder to get them to wash their hands, or not to lick the railing.

And as always, wash your hands, keep your distance and mask up. There is a reason why in 2020 / 2021 there were less cases of flu and similar diseases and the doctors office.

I doubt that your child getting sick had much to do with eating unhealthy for a week. It doesn't go that fast.

Not touching your face goes a very long way, further than food.

Start teaching them not to touch their face now. This is a hard habit to break and it will take time. Of course, you will give the right example 😉

Try to stick to a routine similar to at home. You can stretch bed times a little bit, you are on holiday, but keep some consistency. Let the kids determine your tempo.

Be on the look out for meltdowns and try to prevent them. Even when it means leaving lines or the parks. When a kid is having a meltdown it will be harder to get them to wash their hands, or not to lick the railing.

And as always, wash your hands, keep your distance and mask up. There is a reason why in 2020 / 2021 there were less cases of flu and similar diseases and the doctors office.
My point about the food isn’t that’s what made him sick, just looking for ways to help him eat healthy in addition to any other tips for keeping illness away.

At those ages, the biggest challenge will be keeping them from touching everything and subsequently touching their own face/mouth/nose. Carry plenty of wipes and use them often. Keep the little one in a stroller or baby-wearing as much as possible. If the older one has been at preschool he may or may not be familiar with and practicing the concept of keeping his hands to himself. Keep some little toys or distractions on hand for use in the queues to keep them busy; maybe some new items that only come out when in queues.
Yes! Touching things was definitely our biggest problem last time since he has no concept of germs. The incident that made me cringe the most was when he was melting down laying face down on the MCO carpet by baggage claim.

I love the idea about bringing things to keep his hands busy! Thank you!!!

My point about the food isn’t that’s what made him sick, just looking for ways to help him eat healthy in addition to any other tips for keeping illness away.
I get that, but your original post focuses on eating healthy and being stressed about it while that will only be a fraction of trying to prevent illnesses at a place like Disney. That is much more about behaviour than diet. The incident at baggage claim is a more likely explanation for getting sick.

But if it is about food, some tips:
- bring healthy snacks like fruits and vegetables. Order groceries to your hotel if needed.
- Pre check menus to see what would be your healthiest option.
Make your reservations or plan accordingly.
- Order extra sides of vegetables.
- Maybe go for more table service restaurants than quick service.
- If there are limited healthy options for kids, think about sharing an adult salad with them.
- Order food without sauces and dressing or with it on the side.
- if you buy anything prepackaged, ask to check the ingredients first.
- Eat till satisfied, sometimes portions are bigger than necessary. Overeating is never good.
- Don't overdo it on the sugar, limit sugary snacks and drinks.

My little kids ALWAYS used to get sick every single time we traveled; now (teenagers) even with multiple trips during Covid, everyone stayed healthy.

I think the key for us is being proactive with health and natural immunity. Lots of sleep, lots of water, lots of clean food and nutrition, exercise, vitamins, etc. I think there may be something to being exhausted and eating garbage on vacation and then getting sick. We have food allergies and some health stuff that now mean that we have to keep eating well and sleeping well even on vacation. Yes, we wash our hands and don't lick doorknobs, but I think being healthy to start with goes a long way.

Please don't take this the wrong way because it is not mean to be snarky, but your kids should be eating what you put in front of them. If you give them a plate of roasted chicken and some green beans, they should eat that before getting any snacks. That was always our rule, you eat the healthy stuff first and then get your snacks. If that is what they get used to doing, than you won't have any hassles with them as they get older. Set the rules from the beginning.

Please don't take this the wrong way because it is not mean to be snarky, but your kids should be eating what you put in front of them. If you give them a plate of roasted chicken and some green beans, they should eat that before getting any snacks. That was always our rule, you eat the healthy stuff first and then get your snacks. If that is what they get used to doing, than you won't have any hassles with them as they get older. Set the rules from the beginning.
I agree! I just mean that our definition of healthy foods at home is a lot different than the foods considered and available as “healthy” at Disney.

We did EVERYTHING right, and still all came home with Norovirus (we were there Nov 4-7 and are just now starting to get over the virus.)

Hand sanitizer is KEY.

Hand sanitizer and hand washing. And kind of harping on your Kids to avoid touching their eyes/faces. And avoiding touching all of those “interactive” elements in the queues. They gross me out so much. When I see all of those kids (and adults) touching all of those things in the 7 dwarves mine train queue…..blah!

I really think the three biggest things you can do to stay healthy are masking, avoiding indoor stuff, and washing hands. I will be the first to admit I don’t want to mask on vacation and like table service restaurants but then again I got COVID the last time we went to WDW so maybe I should have been more careful! You could also try to keep your kids out of common play areas like playgrounds but that’s also no fun on vacation.

I agree! I just mean that our definition of healthy foods at home is a lot different than the foods considered and available as “healthy” at Disney.
I understand that it can be hard at the parks when everyone is hungry and just wants to eat something. We ended up getting an extra adult meal for our kids to split most of the time since that food was so much better than what was on the kid's meals. We also did a lot of buffets when they were young, that way there was a greater variety. My kids very much were "you are what you eat" though. Junk food occasionally was OK, but my younger one especially, would really get affected by a poor diet. She would get really cranky and then get sick if she ate too much junk food. So we really tried to have at least 2 really decent meals for them a day and then some snacks. Breakfast was typical breakfast stuff, but lunch and dinner had to be something on the less fried, processed side.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter