Kennedy Space Center--Gripes

The Hunt

DIS Veteran
Although it's not in Orlando, lots of people--like us--take a day trip to Kennedy Space Center. I had done this as a kid, and had fond memories of it. However, after having done it last week, I can recommend it only to the most rabid of space fanatics. It takes about an hour from the WDW area to drive there. The lines for tickets were extremely slow-moving, probably because the ticket options were expensive and difficult to understand.

The main feature of the Center is a bus tour that takes you to three different locations--a launch gantry, a building housing a Saturn V rocket, and a building devoted to the International Space Station. When you first get on the bus, and at each of the other locations, you will wait in a long line outdoors in the heat--we waited about 20 minutes each time. In the buildings, there are excellent exhibits and presentations. You can see parts of the Space Station being constructed, for example. But there is also relentless commercialization everywhere--photographers, pressed penny machines, gift shops, etc. On the bus, there is a video presentation that give you info about the sights you are going by, but it also includes pitches for the gift shop.

We ate lunch in the Moon Rock Cafe in the Saturn V building. It was, hands down, the worst food we had on our entire vacation.

I was actually offended that such an important historic and scientific site was so brazenly commercialized--if they are going to commercialize it, they should turn it over to Disney, who would at least do a good job, and train the employees better.

Despite all of that, my 9-year-old really enjoyed it, so I don't regret going. I'm just giving a word to the wise, so you'll know what to expect if you decide to go.

Yes we spent four days in the Spacecoast area 8/7 and went to KSC for a day. I had visited their website before our vacation and had done some research so I knew what to expect in terms of tours when I got there.

Yes, the ticket/tour info is confusing and highly sales pitched. It is way more commercialized than I thought it would be be. However, my teens and I loved every minute of it. We spent l0 hours looking at every exhibit closely. We did not have any long bus waits because we had arrived there early in the day to start the tour.

We also ate at the Moon Rock Cafe. We had subs and salad and thought they were fresh and tasty.

We saw a small rocket lift off that day, which was exciting.Seeing the discovery launch liftoff on friday of that week was awe inspiring.

I recommend to anyone go to KSC to read up on the tour facts first. Decide before you get there waht you want to do for the day. Also, the Orlando Magi card (free) is good for $2.50 discount per ticket.

We just came back and had a good, if not great, time at KSC. The worst thing about the trip for us was waiting in the bus lines in the heat/humidity. The mist fans helped, but it was still the worst part of our visit. If there was some way to reduce the wait times, the visit would have been a couple of hours shorter -- rather, we would have felt like doing more.

As for the commercialization, we have trained ourselves and our kids to just ignore that kind of stuff. We do indulge in a smashed penny or two on a trip, which serve as inexpensive souvenirs.

Food -- we had a couple of hotdogs and popcorn at KSC but saved the meal for a seafood dinner that night in Cocoa Beach.

Our ratings:
1. Saturn V display
2. IMAX film (not the 3D one -- we had seen it in Las Vegas)
3. Shuttle preparation area
4. "early days" of Space exhibit
5. Being in Orlando, hearing the sonic booms from the shuttle landing
6. Control room
7. Launch gantry

Tip -- especially if travelling with children, I would recommend seeing the IMAX film first, which helps put things in perspective and builds a sense of history and meaning before seeing the other things.

Tip -- if traveling on Hwy 528 from Orlando, be prepared to pay a few road tolls on the way.

Tip -- be aware that there are no restaurants or other services starting about 20 miles from KSC.

Tip -- some have said to pay the extra $20 per person for the NASA Up Close tour -- we did not and felt almost felt we should have.

Oh -- and the rocket garden was not accessible as they are re-landscaping right now. bummer -- that would have been #3 on our list if it had been available.

Scott

Thanks for the post. We had thought about going but I don't know now. DH has never been and it has been at least 30 years since I went. May go sometime just to go, since DH has never been. !!

It might help to go as soon as it opens, and to go on the bus tour immediately. That way you might not have as much of a wait on the subsequent legs of the tour.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter