Kennedy Space Center with 6yo with ASD

leise

Mouseketeer
Hi there :wave:

We are thinking of visiting KSC on our upcoming trip, and I wondered if anyone had any advice about taking a 6yo with classic ASD & learning difficulties.

His younger brother is really into space rockets and is desperate to go, but we are worried that there will be enough there for our older DS with autism. He is moderately interested in space, but just looking at exhibits will not interest him. Do they have interactive stuff with buttons to press and levers to pull? Is there anywhere for him to run around outside? What about restaurants- will we able to buy him his requisite plate of fries?

Also is there any sort of Disabled concession on the entrance price?

Thanks very much

Leise

We visited KSC on our recent trip and I think there is stuff for your DS to do. There is plenty of outdoor spaces and they do have a snack bar with french fries!! My DD is quite physically imapired, so I'm not sure about the hands-on stuff. The Astronaut Hall of Fame has some really neat stuff. I've copied a link to the official website; it may answer your questions. I highly recommend the trip. My DH and DD were in 7th heaven!!! (My mom even found it fascinating.) I would suggest you forgo the formal tours. I don't think your older son will be very happy on them.
http://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/index.asp

My DS had a much better time at the austronaut museum which is outside of the KSC. He enjoyed the IMAX movie at Cape Canaveral but the waiting in lines, tours, etc... did not keep his attention. The museum had hands on things to do that he enjoyed. Also the enormity of the one building at KSC seemed to overwhelm him. Maybe the echo - ey feeling was too much.

There is the Rocket Garden outside, where I remember my DS (ASD and ADHD) climbed into a capsule, and I think there was more he could do. There is also a Children's play dome for children under 48 inches tall, near the rocket garden. He also enjoyed walking to the Astronaut Memorial and looking for the alligator in the pond there (also turtles and fish). Another big hit was the Shuttle Explorer area, not hands on, but a lot of moving around and not just standing and reading. He loved it at age 10, but he was a space fan when we went!

Thank you all so much for your answers! :)

It sounds like there will be quite alot to interest him, so I think we will give it a go. Thanks for the tip off about the tour too, we weren't planning on it but you never know what happens when you get there; now I think we'll definitely give it a miss as it really wouldn't interest him.

Thanks
Leise :wave:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter