Keratin treatments?

Sabeking

DIS Veteran
Any experience? I have grown my hair out after about 25 years of it being short. I love the length now but my hair due to age and probably graying has become frizzy. I have luckily found a great straitening iron that does not destroy my hair but I was thinking about a keratin treatment. The only thing is gosh dang its expensive! Has any one had it done or tried an over the counter product that may help. I just ordered Kerstase; a leave in product from Amazon but I have no clue if it will help. I am spending a ton of time on the coast this year as well and have found that some days I look like my hair is five feet tall! :rotfl: I hate humidity.>:(

I've never gotten a true keratin treatment, but I do get regular Brazilian blowouts. They are different processes. The Brazilian blowout makes my hair very soft, silky, frizz free, and humidity resistant. My hair is flat for a few days after until the products wash out, and I do have to use texture pastes and sprays to get it what I want it to do, but its great for summer time because I can let it mostly air dry or just blow dry and go without spending time removing the frizz.

I pay about $200 for it, but they can be more expensive depending on the salon. The stylist first washes my hair with a clarifying shampoo, then lathers on the chemicals, then dries my hair slowly on cool air so the chemical sets. She then flat irons my hair in very small sections to set the chemical and make it frizz free. She then washes my hair again using a hair mask and blow dries it. Its a little bit of a process, and it sometimes can irritate my scalp for a day or two after, so just a caution if you have every sensitive skin. After, I use sulfate free shampoo/conditioner to help maintain it. The Brazilian Blowout brand makes a shampoo/conditioner I actually like the best, and that may be worth a try too even if you don't get the actual Brazilian blowout done.

With true keratin treatments, you cannot wash your hair or even get it wet for 72 hours after. Even with sweat. You also have to avoid kinking the hair or putting any bend it - no putting it behind your ears, in ponytails or clips, and you should use a silk hair cap or pillowcase while sleeping to avoid bedhead too. The Brazilian Blowout has no instructions after you leave the salon, other than to use sulfate free shampoo, so this is why I have never tried a keratin treatment. I can't speak to which one works better, but it would have to be a big difference for me to switch!

My sister gets keratin treatments every summer. Her hair looks fantastic - silky and smooth!

I have done it twice and was very happy with the results.
I purchased a Dyson airwrap in Feb. and there is a straightening brush attachment that is amazing.
I use that with Kerastase Discipline Keratine Smoothing cream and my hair comes out great, no more frizz.
I haven't had a treatment done again, my hair looks great now.
The airwrap was $500 but that is the cost of 2 keratin treatments.
I love the airwrap, saves me from putting those chemicals on my head.

I've never gotten a true keratin treatment, but I do get regular Brazilian blowouts. They are different processes. The Brazilian blowout makes my hair very soft, silky, frizz free, and humidity resistant. My hair is flat for a few days after until the products wash out, and I do have to use texture pastes and sprays to get it what I want it to do, but its great for summer time because I can let it mostly air dry or just blow dry and go without spending time removing the frizz.

I pay about $200 for it, but they can be more expensive depending on the salon. The stylist first washes my hair with a clarifying shampoo, then lathers on the chemicals, then dries my hair slowly on cool air so the chemical sets. She then flat irons my hair in very small sections to set the chemical and make it frizz free. She then washes my hair again using a hair mask and blow dries it. Its a little bit of a process, and it sometimes can irritate my scalp for a day or two after, so just a caution if you have every sensitive skin. After, I use sulfate free shampoo/conditioner to help maintain it. The Brazilian Blowout brand makes a shampoo/conditioner I actually like the best, and that may be worth a try too even if you don't get the actual Brazilian blowout done.

With true keratin treatments, you cannot wash your hair or even get it wet for 72 hours after. Even with sweat. You also have to avoid kinking the hair or putting any bend it - no putting it behind your ears, in ponytails or clips, and you should use a silk hair cap or pillowcase while sleeping to avoid bedhead too. The Brazilian Blowout has no instructions after you leave the salon, other than to use sulfate free shampoo, so this is why I have never tried a keratin treatment. I can't speak to which one works better, but it would have to be a big difference for me to switch!

Thank you for the detailed information! How long does it last? Do you know if regular coloring has any impact on it?

I have done it twice and was very happy with the results.
I purchased a Dyson airwrap in Feb. and there is a straightening brush attachment that is amazing.
I use that with Kerastase Discipline Keratine Smoothing cream and my hair comes out great, no more frizz.
I haven't had a treatment done again, my hair looks great now.
The airwrap was $500 but that is the cost of 2 keratin treatments.
I love the airwrap, saves me from putting those chemicals on my head.

Do they have lay-away? :rotfl:

My hair is super frizzy as well, I have much more frizz then curls. I haven’t found any products at the store to be helpful long term. I do keratin treatments at the salon twice a year. They’re a little pricey but well worth it.

I get a Brazilian Blowout a couple of times a year. Depending on how often you wash your hair, the products you use on your hair, and over all how rough you are on your hair-- swimming etc-- will depend on how long the treatment lasts. I can usually tell at about 4 months that it is wearing off. During the winter months I don't worry about getting one since the humidity is lower.

It is pricey but my hair looks so much better than before I started getting them.

Thank you for the detailed information! How long does it last? Do you know if regular coloring has any impact on it?
I've found the treatment on the hair lasts quite a while if you use sulfate free products, but I go about every 10 weeks to have my roots/new growth done. I can notice the difference in frizz and flyaways near that top of my head after that time. I don't color my hair so I'm not sure how that affects it, but I believe its safe to do in combination. I believe with a true keratin treatment, you have to wait at least two weeks after the treatment to get color done but I don't believe the Brazilian blowout has the same restriction. I'd also recommend getting your hair cut right before the Brazilian blowout so that there aren't dead or frizzy ends its trying to tame.

I have wild grays too. I've used Aveda Smoothing Fluid for many years. Unfortunately it's been discontinued. It was replaced with the Smooth Infusion line. It works well too but I prefer the old product.

My DD has had several. They are the best! Highly recommend them and I feel the cost is worth every penny. She had very curly hair when she started and now she manages it with an flat iron only. I don't think she has had one is 7 years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter