Keyless car starter

Dznypal

DIS Veteran
We have a keyless car starter
One day went I dropped my DH at work and came back home
Drive all the way home with no issues but when tried to turn the car off by pushing the button and it took a few tries to shut it off though
So then comes the time to pick DH and the car gives me the message Thst it can’t detect the fob
Then I panic and dump everything out of my purse no fob
Then it hit me it was in another bag and that’s where it was
But my question is how was I able to drive home with no fob.
I thought the car would only run so long without a fob as a safety concern
Also when you had regular keys you take the keys with you like when you get gas some one would have to steal your keys in order to steal your car which I know they do but when we get gas I stay in the car so since I have the fob anyone could hope in the car and off we go. Just another safety concern

It takes getting use to.
I have to be real cognizant if I jump in the car wearing sweat pants that I dont just lay it in cup holder and forget it if I pop out of car. Door wont lock but Ive run into a store or two and left it there.
Key you'd always take. Did you have it when car started. And then other bag left? You can run without key just not start. At least thats how mine is. Thats another issue cause you can forget to give person key if you are swaping cars.

But my question is how was I able to drive home with no fob.
Most likely your DH had a fob in his pocket. That would have allowed you to start the car at home. Then he got out (with fob in his pocket) but you never turned off the engine so it continued to run to get you home.

Yeah, it takes a time to adjust to the “new normal” with key fobs for those of us who have driven 30-40-50 years with keys. We continue to leave the key fob hanging on the hook by the back door as always — grab it when leaving and hang it back up on return. Just like always; the trick is remembering to grab it out of the console in the car.

Probably depends on the car and exactly how their system operates. On my car, you have to have the key fob within a foot of so of the interior of the vehicle to start the car. When starting remotely from a distance away, I have to push the door lock button first and then the 'start' button to do a remote start on a cold/snowy morning. Clearly this prevents a thief from driving off with your car when remote started, doors are locked and no one in the vehicle. Even if I do remote start, I still have to push the 'start' button on the dash once I am actually in the car and the key fob has to be nearby.

I NEVER leave the key fob in the car, but I know some people do that. I treat it the same as my keys and always take it with me when leaving the car. I believe that if you don't have the key fob, you won't be able to restart the car even if you drove off and left the fob elsewhere. As far as I know, the 'detect key fob' only matters when starting the car.

Treat your key fob the same as your car keys and you will be fine.

Last edited:

I absolutely LOVE my keyless fob, but -- yes -- it took some getting used to. Some development of new habits.

Another thing to look out for: That fob contains a battery, and it will one day run out -- you probably have a year, but go ahead and open the fob now /check your battery size /keep a replacement in your glove compartment.

How do I know? After I'd had my car about a year, I went to the grocery store, and when I turned the car off, I saw a message "Battery will run out soon". WHAT???? Does that mean I have 5 more minutes to drive or a month? I freaked out, drove straight home without buying groceries. In retrospect, that wasn't necessary -- but You Tube taught me to open the fob and the batteries aren't expensive.

Googling it seems to indicate that most systems only need the key in the car to start and stop the car.
Our Toyota, if you try to lock the doors with a fob in the car, a tone outside the car comes on to warn you and stays on until you remove the key.
Also not a fan of the automatic electric parking brake. I find myself forgetting to release the manual parking brake in my other two cars.

I absolutely LOVE my keyless fob, but -- yes -- it took some getting used to. Some development of new habits.

Another thing to look out for: That fob contains a battery, and it will one day run out -- you probably have a year, but go ahead and open the fob now /check your battery size /keep a replacement in your glove compartment.

How do I know? After I'd had my car about a year, I went to the grocery store, and when I turned the car off, I saw a message "Battery will run out soon". WHAT???? Does that mean I have 5 more minutes to drive or a month? I freaked out, drove straight home without buying groceries. In retrospect, that wasn't necessary -- but You Tube taught me to open the fob and the batteries aren't expensive.
I hate ours. Exactly what problem were we trying to solve by going from key to push-button? :confused: More electronic and computerized features are just more things to go wrong. I've had a battery die on me and had to get a family member to run me out the other fob. What a huge pain.
Googling it seems to indicate that most systems only need the key in the car to start and stop the car.
Our Toyota, if you try to lock the doors with a fob in the car, a tone outside the car comes on to warn you and stays on until you remove the key.
Also not a fan of the automatic electric parking brake. I find myself forgetting to release the manual parking brake in my other two cars.
My Mazda has that, with the added "safety feature" that it will not disengage unless the driver's seatbelt is on. :rolleyes: This is infuriating when all I want to do is back out of the garage or otherwise move the car (not on the roadway). I also worry that if I lend the vehicle, an unfamiliar driver may just gun it to move, not understanding why it won't, and cause damage.

I hate ours. Exactly what problem were we trying to solve by going from key to push-button? :confused: More electronic and computerized features are just more things to go wrong. I've had a battery die on me and had to get a family member to run me out the other fob. What a huge pain.

My Mazda has that, with the added "safety feature" that it will not disengage unless the driver's seatbelt is on. :rolleyes: This is infuriating when all I want to do is back out of the garage or otherwise move the car (not on the roadway). I also worry that if I lend the vehicle, an unfamiliar driver may just gun it to move, not understanding why it won't, and cause damage.
Yep, just more unnecessary crap that causes unnecessary problems.

Solutions desperately in search of problems.

Once the car is started it won't turn off because the key fob is out of range for safety reasons. Imagine the car losing the fob at full speed on the highway and just shutting down.

I don’t carry a fob anymore since my car does phone as a key, PAAK.

It’s great not having to carry anything specifically for the car since I always have my phone on me.

I've had a battery die on me and had to get a family member to run me out the other fob. What a huge pain.
Every car has a backup way to start the car if the battery is dead in the fob.

Some you physically push the button with the fob, some have a place to put the fob in a console so that it is close enough to still be read even with a dead battery.

I know it does you no good now, but for future reference, the car has a back up. You simply place the fob on the start button and it will start even when the battery is exhausted.

My car, you pop the push button out and the fob turns into a key to operate the “old fashioned way”.

It takes getting use to.
I have to be real cognizant if I jump in the car wearing sweat pants that I dont just lay it in cup holder and forget it if I pop out of car. Door wont lock but Ive run into a store or two and left it there.
Key you'd always take. Did you have it when car started. And then other bag left? You can run without key just not start. At least thats how mine is. Thats another issue cause you can forget to give person key if you are swaping cars.
It happened to us. My DH forgot to grab his keys but the car started as I had my set in my purse. He dropped me off and continued to do an errand. Ooops, he can’t restart the car. He called a neighbor to come to where I was to get the keys and take them to me.

Mine too have a small pull out key you can use if the battery fails. Good to check your owners manual to see how it works for the specific vehicle you have.

Mine too have a small pull out key you can use if the battery fails. Good to check your owners manual to see how it works for the specific vehicle you have.
That generally works to get you in the car. But to start it the fob needs to be pressed against the start button or placed in a certain location. There is not a place to insert the key to start the car in a push button start car.

I have my fob on a keyring with my house key, just like I used to do when I had an actual car key. The key ring is clipped to my purse at all times (on a clip strap for that purpose), just as it has always been. I didn’t have to change much when I went to a fob. On the plus side, my garage door opener and key fob take the same battery, so I always have spares on hand.

I don’t carry a fob anymore since my car does phone as a key, PAAK.

It’s great not having to carry anything specifically for the car since I always have my phone on me.
A co-worker had the Lexus App on his i-Phone so he could do just about everything from the phone. Including butt dialing his car and telling it to start the engine. The security guard was always looking for him because his car was running in the parking lot.

A co-worker had the Lexus App on his i-Phone so he could do just about everything from the phone. Including butt dialing his car and telling it to start the engine. The security guard was always looking for him because his car was running in the parking lot.
PAAK has an app component but not something that has to be used. The car just recognizes I am there and unlocks the doors and lets me start it.

Lots of cars have apps now for remote access.

That generally works to get you in the car. But to start it the fob needs to be pressed against the start button or placed in a certain location. There is not a place to insert the key to start the car in a push button start car.
For my car, if the fob battery is dead, there is a small fob pocket, specifying for the fob to be inserted into. Once inserted, start as normal, push the start button on the dash.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter