Kia Telluride & Hyundai Palisade?

poohs_hunny

DIS Veteran
Does anyone own either of these? Do you love it? Hate it? Why? Consumer Reports rates both very highly but I wanted to get some real world opinions. Thanks!

FWIW, we have a 2006 Kia Sedona we bought new. It’s been great! I keep thinking I’d like a new car, but that darn thing just keeps running! Our lack of car payments has indirectly funded family vacations and other items over the years, plus not buying a new car all this time certainly contributes to the environment.

After having only ever driven Ford vehicles, my aunt and uncle recently bought a Palisade. So far they love it. They needed the 3rd row seating for when they have all 4 of their grandchildren with them.

I'm curious about the Telluride too, for the same reason. The CR rating really surprised me and made me think I should at least think about it as an option for my next car (though I'm still hoping that'll be a couple years off).

We rented a newer Sorrento in FL last June and we were impressed with it. It felt very much like my Toyota from inside. I’ve missed having the third row after enjoying that for many years. I would consider buying one in the future. I don’t know much about the Telluride, but as a step up it must be pretty nice.

ETA I said Sedona initially, but meant Sorrento

Last edited:
While I don’t own either, they were on my short list when I bought a new suv in 2020. The deal killer for me with both was that the seatbelt sits too high in the middle row and wasn’t adjustable (may have changed since 2020 versions). The placement was so high it was uncomfortable for me (I’m 5’1”) and would have required me to put my then 13 yo back into a booster or buy something that lowered the seatbelt so that it didn’t sit on the passenger’s neck.

The Telluride is my current dream SUV. I'm on my 3rd Kia Sorento now, but once the Telluride starts becoming more easy to find used, I'll hopefully make the switch. Will always recommend a Kia vehicle to other buyers-I've have great experiences with mine.

I'm in the market for a new suv soon and the Telluride is currently #1 on my list. I don't need the 3rd row, and I really like the Honda Passport that I'm leasing now so I'm torn.

We have a Sonata with 185,000, an Ford Escape 175,000, Tuscon 110,000, Ford Fusion 60,000, and BMW X3 50,000. I guess I hate to "give" away a car that still runs well ...LOL. I have to say, I like driving the Hyundai Tuscon as much as the BMW. Knock on wood both Hyundai's haven't given me any headaches beyond normal wear and tear, but I keep up on the maintenance so that helps I'm sure. The Fords have had a couple aggravating issues but nothing serious, and the BMW is great just a little pricey to keep up at times. I'd say the Hyundai/Kia vehicles are as good as any for reliability, comfort, performance ...especially for the money.

I'm very impressed by the Hyundai family. We had a Kona for 2 years and just got a Genesis GV70. It is Hyundai's premium brand. If you don't 'need' a big boxy SUV this thing is amazing. Kind of hard to find though. MSRP starts at 42.
263846019_10226256194062452_190521735202076417_n.jpg264006725_10226256196182505_4102287774448385732_n.jpg273159196_10226558265734055_2441361892189248627_n.jpg

We were looking for an SUV with a 3rd row a few months ago. There were no Tellurides to even look at in our area or within 100 miles. One of the sales associates let us look at his own SUV. It was nice, but I cant comment otherwise bc we never drove one. However, the Palisades Calligraphy was awesome. The interior seemed to be very well thought out, and it was the easiest of the SUVs to access the 3rd row. Of course it is the top of the line and comes with a premium price. We looked at the Toyota Highlander XSE and the 3rd row is very cramped. In the end we did not make a purchase, we are hoping to wait until there are more on the lot to choose from or the prices aren't quite so high, though I am not sure either will happen in the next 12 months. We wonder what the resale and reliability might be with the Palisade.

We have a 2016 Sedona and absolutely love it. It drives awesome and is so comfortable. It has been on several cross country road trips and the only thing we have done is routine maintenance. It now has 125k miles and I am hoping it will go another 100k. Although I would love the new Carnival that they have.

If the Telluride is anything like the Sedona I would definitely recommend one.

We have a 2021 Palisade that we bought new last year and absolutely love it. We have the SEL but got some upgrades to make it basically a Limited line but we wanted a bench 2nd row instead of captain seats and the Limited only offers captain seat 2nd row. I just like bench seats more. We also have a 2013 Ford Edge. We were looking at Tellurides but couldn’t find anything and ended up looking at Palisades. After seeing our Palisade and the features we got for the same price as well as driving it, my parents actually traded their 2020 Telluride for a Palisade as well and are happy.The head lights are significantly better in the Palisade compared to the Telluride.

We bought a 2021 Palisade and i can’t say enough good things about it!! We also were looking for an suv with a third row, towing capacity, good safety ratings, etc and after owning it for almost a year now, and i can definitely say it ticks all thise boxes. And I personally find it very stylish too! The interior is incredibly spacious and comfortable with 2 kids in car seats, a dog, and all the gear that goes along with them. And if you live somewhere snowy, it is an absolute dream to drive in the snow!

We also were torn between thw Palisade and Telluride, but essentially what sold us was the sales experience. We went to the Kia dealership and it was a nightmare, ans they were selling tellurides on a waitlist at 10k over-sticker value…. I’m like really? For a kia? You can get a BMW at that price… but I digress.

Thank you everyone! DH and I test drove a preowned Telluride today (no new ones in stock) and have our names on a waiting list. Tomorrow we will check out the Pallisade and will probably do the same.

We were looking for an SUV with a 3rd row a few months ago. There were no Tellurides to even look at in our area or within 100 miles. One of the sales associates let us look at his own SUV. It was nice, but I cant comment otherwise bc we never drove one. However, the Palisades Calligraphy was awesome. The interior seemed to be very well thought out, and it was the easiest of the SUVs to access the 3rd row. Of course it is the top of the line and comes with a premium price. We looked at the Toyota Highlander XSE and the 3rd row is very cramped. In the end we did not make a purchase, we are hoping to wait until there are more on the lot to choose from or the prices aren't quite so high, though I am not sure either will happen in the next 12 months. We wonder what the resale and reliability might be with the Palisade.
I ended up driving 300 miles to test drive a car and stalk the website (gmc) for vehicles in transit to find my car. It’s ridiculous right now.

I know someone that almost bought the Kia, but the dealer had marked it up $10k over sticker, so she bought a 4Runner instead at sticker. She liked the Kia, but she didn't like it enough to pay that premium.

We have a 2016 Kia Sedona that was one of the 2 vans that fit 6'8" DH. 102k miles, hoping it lasts another 100k too.

DD28 just bought a new Telluride. It is really nice and DH fits really well in that too. I sat in the 2nd row, it was really comfortable. Dh wants one too.

We have always been a Ford family, my dad worked there for 35 years. That said I currently have a Soul and would love a Telluride. My neighbor has one and she LOVES it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter