Kidani Village and BEES!!

Ws there about a week go. It was fine. I was worried when i read this thread as i have 2 kids and was planning pool time. It was fine. Good advice is not to sit by the bar/mugfill. But nothing to worry bout. I was also at kidani at 2011 and thought there were a lot of bees. But this trip there was not a problem. For the record, we did a split stay at blt and there were some bees by the mug fill t the pool, too.
This just jolted my memory -- I now *do* remember seeing bees Aug 30-Sept 2, but only in the Kidani pool bar area due to all the food, sweet drink mixes, and soft drink refill station. They weren't bothering anyone, just looking for food. They really just need to hose down the pool and bar area nightly to clean up any spilled drinks. Just to add, if I were allergic to bees, I would definitely be concerned, but if not, I didn't see or hear of any bees bothering anyone while we were there and other than the bar area, didn't see any. I live in the country, so this sort of stuff doesn't really bother me :) I know a bee isn't going to bite except as a last resort, and usually only if you are messing with it's nest. It's extremely rare for them to bite while foraging for food unless you step on one inadvertently.

Not seen a single bee. Been here since Wednesday :)

What a relief! You have no idea. Normally I wouldn't be concerned, but one of my friends who is going with me this trip, has a really bad habit of flicking bees on me. It's like Murphy's law for bees. If one is around, she pisses it off, and then ends up swatting it onto me who usually gets stung repeatedly. If there are bees around, I instinctively try to stay far away from her, but she usually ends up getting me eventually. I don't know what it is with her and things that sting.

Sounds like there are fewer bees now. I've noticed that bees love bright colors and especially flower patterns on bathing suits and coverups.

If you are allergic or afraid, try to wear dark (black or brown or navy) and no perfume .

Not in WDW, but I was hanging around in a pool (in Puerto vallarta) and got stung under my arm near the armpit: i think a bee was floating in the water and my 'floating' arms became a lifeboat of sorts.

Been here a week and haven't seen one bee, but the love bugs are certainly out. Seen quite a few of those, nothing too bad, but still a little annoying when they land on you.

QUOTE FROM PP: *****They are bees. Honey bees to be more specific.
My family has always commented on how Disney must spray like crazy to keep pests at bay. Well, Kidani showed us a new side of pest management. ****

My reply (sorry, forgot to click the include quote button when I posted):

No they were not Honey Bees. They were yellow jackets, with the distinctive yellow and black banded pattern (versus the brown/black banded pattern that is more faded on honey bees). Yellow jackets are extremely tenacious and aggressive. They do not budge from their territory. One landed on my face whilst I was in the pool. Several dunks under the water did not dislodge it from my face. I ever so carefully nudged it from my face. They were swarming all over the soda dispensers. We had made the mistake of leaving our just-filled refillable mugs but the lounge chairs, so they attached themselves to the mugs. So not worth having drinks by the pool. Fortunately no none was stung, but it was a nuisance. We were there mid-August. It is seasonal.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter