Kids Club Age Change

the in and out Prilvages.
All kids of any age can check themselves in. It’s out that everyone is saying is the problem. To get around that you could ask your child to call or text each time they want to leave and you set the rules that they can’t leave without you if you don’t want them to. It will potentially leave them out of some programming but if it makes you feel better then there are options. I am happy to discuss Edge further in another thread if needed

Maybe there'll be more discounts in the future if people are that riled up to cancel. I'm guessing it will blow over like most things. I'd love a good discount this Summer.
This will blow over in the next few months. It really only effects those cruises as they have already paid for airline tickets and other travel expenses, got groups together etc and can not easily change. The people who have time on their side will either decide the new rules work or cancel.

If it helps, several shoreside DCL Cast Members are now saying: 10-year-old children may still attend Edge with parental consent, after speaking with a Youth Activities Counselor onboard. (Copied and pasted from a Chat with Disney Cruise Line representative on the website).

They also said if a child is 10 and is in the Club or Lab spaces but turns 11 halfway through the voyage they may no longer remain there and instead go to Edge.

I’m honestly not understanding all the angst about “elementary school with high schoolers.” Yes, 14-yr-olds may be in high school — but those kids are most likely to move up to Vibe which is geared towards high school programming/activities. Those kids have no desire to hang out with young 11-yr-olds.
I was thinking this too - I’m in the UK where primary school is from 5-11 and senior school is from 11-16 or 18 depending if that school has sixth form or not.

I have no horse in this race as I have no kids, the only part IMO is poor from Disney is that they’re changing things last minute and not allowing people to cancel for a refund. I can see some posts that might be changing and if so, I see overall no issues with the split Disney is proposing.

People can be upset that things have changed. But it's also not realistic to expect the kids clubs to cater to all needs and levels coherently, particularly with the staff they have. Which is not to speak ill of the staff, but for kids with developmental disabilities especially, the degree of supervision required may not be appropriate in a group youth environment outside of education.

I don't think anyone expects the kids' clubs to cater to all needs and levels. I certainly don't, but it is absolutely realistic to expect the policies that are in place when you book and then enter a financial penalty phase are the policies you will encounter when you board a ship. I have a child with developmental disabilities - all I expect is to have accurate information as to what is offered in a ship's kids' club so I can make the best decisions for my family. At 3 years old, my DS could not handle the kids' clubs at all, so we only went to open houses. I knew this when I booked the cruise. I did not expect the club staff to be able to work with my DS the way his teachers and school did. At 11 and 12 years old, I would have wanted my DS to be in a supervised, secured location - mostly so he couldn't leave and wander the ship. If I had booked a cruise with the 11/12 year old Lab/Club policy in place and then had that amenity torn away after I was PIF and could not cancel, yes, I would be really angry. Guests are entitled to policy transparency when booking and paying for vacations - this move on DCL's part was severely, poorly executed.

Imagine a guest booked a cruise thinking they would have access to the adult-only pool areas and then after PIF and being in the penalty phase DCL announced only concierge guests would have access to these areas - non-concierge guests who were planning on utilizing those spaces would be apoplectic with good reason - their enjoyment of that cruise would be serious impacted. We were all sold one thing and are being given something else. It's a very, very bad look for DCL.

What's egregious is that they haven't changed the policy on their website. DCL does some strange things when it comes to policy changes and notifying people. My guess is if they get enough push they'll let people cancel. Of course, they'll wait to see how angry people are first.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes them to update the website.

For those asking about activities for the younger children, it is not for the entire cruise, these will be scheduled so check the app. The rest of the time the younger children will be able to participate in programming with the other children
Are you referring to the younger children in edge or lab and club?

They are also tweaking some of the programming in Edge, as well as having more Counselors scheduled throughout the day
Oh I hope they do. We go out on the Dream for Marvel January 12th. It was supposed to be our 12 year olds last hurrah in the kids club. His favorite part was playing spaceship with the other kids. He really dislikes Edge, he said he has video games at home he wants to play with cool stuff. I hope they realize not all 11-14 kids want to be in a screen or dance and sing. He loves to play. We are very saddened by this change and fear it will be a dark cloud for him on the cruise.

Oh I hope they do. We go out on the Dream for Marvel January 12th. It was supposed to be our 12 year olds last hurrah in the kids club. His favorite part was playing spaceship with the other kids. He really dislikes Edge, he said he has video games at home he wants to play with cool stuff. I hope they realize not all 11-14 kids want to be in a screen or dance and sing. He loves to play. We are very saddened by this change and fear it will be a dark cloud for him on the cruise.
I’m so sorry about all this. Please let me know if there’s anything I can do to help make his cruise more Magical

First off @Mags2002 as a former YA thanks for answering people's questions and trying to make things easier for the crew onboard I know they'd appreciate it cause I certainly do and I'm not even there anymore 😂

2ndly as a former 2 time Edge counselor and 3 time Vibe counselor those age break downs were my favourite. In Edge we didn't have too many 14yr olds as many of them would choose to go to Vibe. Of course we would have some but Vibe took most. Ive seen a lot of Edge slander on here about all they do is play video games and that is definitely not true. In fact in Edge they often turn off the video games for certain scheduled events.

They do Bingo, animation cells, learn to draw, SO many scavenger hunts (not all require kids to have a cell phone and those ones that do they usually have them go in groups anyway) Basketball or dodge ball in Herozone/Sports deck, incredicourse on the Wish, craft corner, Trivias, Heroes vs Villains, Karaoke, PJ Movie Party, Pirate Party. It's not just video games.

For 10 yr olds expect the waivers to not be available. During Covid they were seriously limiting them except for kids having their birthday that cruise and I expect the transition period will be the same.

While most crew that I'm still in contact with are thrilled with the age range going 3-10 (we've been saying for years it's too big) they are mentally preparing to get the brunt of people's anger. This isn't the first time they've heard the phrase "this is ruining my vacation" and it won't be the last. It just sucks that this will be their Christmas experience.

Also like the captain doesn't like when the ship is called a boat, YA doesn't like it when the club is called childcare, you don't pay per hour per child. (Although if that's where they end up going with all this feedback I may came back, those nursery counselors get paid more 🤣)

First off @Mags2002 as a former YA thanks for answering people's questions and trying to make things easier for the crew onboard I know they'd appreciate it cause I certainly do and I'm not even there anymore 😂

2ndly as a former 2 time Edge counselor and 3 time Vibe counselor those age break downs were my favourite. In Edge we didn't have too many 14yr olds as many of them would choose to go to Vibe. Of course we would have some but Vibe took most. Ive seen a lot of Edge slander on here about all they do is play video games and that is definitely not true. In fact in Edge they often turn off the video games for certain scheduled events.

They do Bingo, animation cells, learn to draw, SO many scavenger hunts (not all require kids to have a cell phone and those ones that do they usually have them go in groups anyway) Basketball or dodge ball in Herozone/Sports deck, incredicourse on the Wish, craft corner, Trivias, Heroes vs Villains, Karaoke, PJ Movie Party, Pirate Party. It's not just video games.

For 10 yr olds expect the waivers to not be available. During Covid they were seriously limiting them except for kids having their birthday that cruise and I expect the transition period will be the same.

While most crew that I'm still in contact with are thrilled with the age range going 3-10 (we've been saying for years it's too big) they are mentally preparing to get the brunt of people's anger. This isn't the first time they've heard the phrase "this is ruining my vacation" and it won't be the last. It just sucks that this will be their Christmas experience.

Also like the captain doesn't like when the ship is called a boat, YA doesn't like it when the club is called childcare, you don't pay per hour per child. (Although if that's where they end up going with all this feedback I may came back, those nursery counselors get paid more 🤣)
This post is great. As an adult who cruises Disney that started as a 13 teen year old I enjoyed Common Grounds or Stack a few days. Wish I was out going back then and went more

Last edited:

Thank you!!!!
I really hope parents go in and remember it is not the Counselors fault that this has happened. From what I have heard and seen, everyone is seriously anxious.
🤣🤣🤣 for boat and childcare!!!

I was thinking this too - I’m in the UK where primary school is from 5-11 and senior school is from 11-16 or 18 depending if that school has sixth form or not.

I have no horse in this race as I have no kids, the only part IMO is poor from Disney is that they’re changing things last minute and not allowing people to cancel for a refund. I can see some posts that might be changing and if so, I see overall no issues with the split Disney is proposing.
Here things vary by state and even by county within that state. I can only speak to my own experience. I teach in an alternative education setting where we house 6th-12th graders here. I specifically work with our 6-8th grade program. We don't typically get a ton of 6th graders as they tend to get a little more leeway on the discipline side of things within our district, but in my 8 years in this role, every 6th grader I have gotten (it's only been 6 in 8 years) has been 11 when they came to me (they do eventually turn 12 that school year). I currently have 1 6th grader this year, who is 11 right now and will be 12 in April. Alternatively most of my 8th graders have turned or will turn 14 this year. I currently have 6 of them who are all 13 right now, and will turn 14 between now and May. Most of our 9th graders have turned 15 already or will turn 15 in the next 2-3 months. In general 5th grade is 10-11, 6th grade 11-12, 7th grade 12-13, 8th grade 13-14, 9th grade 14-15, 10th grade 15-16, 11th grade 16-17, and 12th grade 17-18.

I think if Disney amends the cancellation policy, people will be content. Upset that they are changing a trip on short notice, but at least made whole or close to whole. I also think if they could grant Sign-Out capability to 11-12 year olds within edge that would eliminate the remaining concerns (although that would also limit a lot of the things they can do). Based on comments I have seen in other groups over the weekend, it would seem both of these might be coming to fruition.

Last edited:
If it helps, several shoreside DCL Cast Members are now saying: 10-year-old children may still attend Edge with parental consent, after speaking with a Youth Activities Counselor onboard.
That's been pretty standard for years. In order to "age-up" you have to wait and ask onboard; the decision depends how many kids are already in the "upper" club for your particular cruise. They may deny the request if it's a very full sailing and that age bracket is full, or your child may be asked to try the younger club first, or you may be given a waiver right then. It never could be guaranteed in advance. There may be less space to accept 10's aging up now.

They also said if a child is 10 and is in the Club or Lab spaces but turns 11 halfway through the voyage they may no longer remain there and instead go to Edge.
That doesn't surprise me. Hopefully they encourage a 10-yr-old in that situation to waiver up to Edge from the start of the cruise. But it follows pattern of 17-yr-olds who have a birthday during the cruise, they are no longer allowed at Vibe.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter