Kids Club Age Change

They won’t change it back now no matter how many complaints they get
They should have had some wiggle room 3-12 is way to big of an age group. But 3-7 (preschool and early elementary) would be far more appropriate. Then a second age group of 5-11(12) elementary. Third group of 10-14 Middle school and then Hight school at 14-18 . Most kids mature some where within those lines and most siblings and close enough in age to have something like that to work. Or they could just keep it how it was and say no 3-4 year olds. Only elementary aged kids. Have a special pre-school time. This was just bad and not thought throw and rushed.

It has been a while since I have been to an Open House but I think it can depend on the day and time that it is on. Sometimes there are a lot of people, sometimes no one at all.
I think I read a previous post that someone asked if a 10 year old can be in Open House without a parent? The answer is yes, if they are a self-check. But be aware there is extremely minimal supervision by the Counselors and there are usually adults in the spaces at that time
Yeah, I’d go with my daughters to any open houses, yet another reason this really impacts our experience. I’m just so bummed.

I really am sorry 😢
Not your fault 🥰 And I know it’s first world problems, but we really did scrimp and save to make this cruise happen and it’s very different from what we initially signed up for. We would have postponed until the 9yo could go to Edge with her sister or just not gone if we’d known our 12yo could not do Oceaneers. 😢

This change may be pushing up our plans for a Med cruise by a year - this policy won't really impact us on any of our individual-family trips, but we were planning to do a Med cruise with friends who have 3 kids. Our daughter and their oldest son would have been 11 on our planned trip and wouldn't be able to be in the club with the two younger boys (5 and 9) - the whole point of this trip was to have quality time with our good friends who moved to Europe, and having to split the kids up would really upset them.

I'm just glad we have plenty of time to make this change - I really feel for all of you who are close to your sailings and having this sprung on you!

I really am sorry 😢
Non of this is any CM's fault. But a person or people at Disney made a very fast (did not update the website with the new policy, nor did they email everyone with a reservation), made people find out on these boards or other discussion board or even worse on the ship. Made the change so fast that people who were already full paid could not change their reservation nor were they offered a refund. I understand that a policy change had to happen (most likely fast), but this is a reck and is HORRIBLE customer service. Devoid of the magic that Disney is loved for. It could and should be done better. If feel for the CM's that have to deal with parents who are hearing about this for the first time after saving for years to take there kids on a magical trip. i wish the person or people responsible for this would have to deal with the repercussions for how they made these changes and not the CM's on board the ship. It is certainly not your nor anyone on the ships fault. I am sorry that it was dealt with they way it was and that management is putting it on the CM's shoulders to fix.

My 11 year old is still in elementary school. I don't want him with high school kids (freshman). He still likes kid things and Marvel and Star Wars. So now he doesn't have access to Cargo Bay and Superhero Academy in those kid clubs? Seriously? Disney of all companies not allowing kids to be kids longer?!

I'm all for separating ages like preschool aged, elementary, middle school, high school. Or as it used to be one side club, other side lab (and have times to rotate). Where do we complain?

Last edited:

My 11 year old is still in elementary school. I don't want him with high school kids (freshman). He still likes kid things and Marvel and Star Wars. So now he doesn't have access to Cargo Bay and Superhero Academy in those kid clubs? Seriously? Disney of all companies not allowing kids to be kids longer?!

I'm all for separating ages like preschool aged, elementary, middle school, high school. Or as it used to be one side club, other side lab (and have times to rotate). Where do we complain?
dcl.reservations@disneycruise.com

But middle school starts anywhere from 5-7 grades. So 11-14 can be considered the middle school group. It’s unlikely a 14 year old high schooler will be in Edge. Maybe 14 year old 8th graders. Possible (currently- let’s see if this drifts to a firm border on edge/vibe) but not likely IMO.

I fully support this change having had a 5 year old hate the kids club because of all the 11-12 years olds hogging all of the activities and being rude to the little ones (with confirmation of this by my 9 year old.) 12 year olds don’t need to be hanging out with 4-5 year olds. And my now 11 year old will love that she doesn’t have to be with little kids.

Let’s be honest, there is no good time to implement this. The complainers just want it to not change their cruise. Anyone else’s cruise they don’t care about.
Almost like people have planned this with their kids and spent hard earned money under the guise of receiving all of these amenities. But let’s call them complainers when it is changed two weeks before we are to cruise…bold strategy.

I feel for the Edge CMs too. I hope parents who aren’t comfortable giving their child some independence aren’t the squeaky wheels and the Edge changes. Things like selfie scavenger hunts and trips to see the fireworks are so fun. I hope it doesn’t start feeling like babysitting to appease a few. In fact, I’ve talked myself into emailing my support of this change and to leave the Edge programming as is.

Almost like people have planned this with their kids and spent hard earned money under the guise of receiving all of these amenities. But let’s call them complainers when it is changed two weeks before we are to cruise…bold strategy.
Yeah, but it's always going to be two weeks before someone's cruise. There's no good time to make a change like this. Hopefully, Disney is willing to work with people who already have reservations.

Also, I think it's kind of funny that the previous thread was mostly people complaining that 3-12 was too large of a range and that they should separate the kids and then this thread is complaining that they separated the kids. You can't win!

Yeah, but it's always going to be two weeks before someone's cruise. There's no good time to make a change like this. Hopefully, Disney is willing to work with people who already have reservations.

Also, I think it's kind of funny that the previous thread was mostly people complaining that 3-12 was too large of a range and that they should separate the kids and then this thread is complaining that they separated the kids. You can't win!
An announcement that it is happening 6 months out (before most paid in full dates) would allow people to make changes as needed, there are Xmas cruises that are about to happen where they had no forewarning.

Yes with a six month warning at some point there is a before the policy and after the policy but people know when it’s coming and what to expect. No excuse for them dumping this on families last minute

Almost like people have planned this with their kids and spent hard earned money under the guise of receiving all of these amenities. But let’s call them complainers when it is changed two weeks before we are to cruise

It's me, I'm the complainer, it's me. We cruise in February. Had planned 3 back to back to back on the Wish for our 12 yr old to get one last Oceaneer hurrah. We had originally started with one 4 night as that's the longest sailing available. When we felt that 4 nights was just too short, we added a 3 night to go back to back. And then as we explored the Oceaneer Club on the Wish, specifically the Marvel area & Imagineering design coaster lab, we added a 3rd leg to make sure he really had all the time he could want, and be with his 3 younger siblings one more time. Our staterooms for 2 of the 3 legs are right near the kids club planned that way to give the ability to quickly access early morning/later at night. So yeah, I'm "complaining" big time that we took the funds that it did (and those were definitely a reach) and put towards a vacation that was about getting a trip to celebrate the last days/weeks of childhood will now be bitter and sad passing by the place he had been looking forward to and planning to spend all extra minutes at.

And we did call as well, were very nice as we realize that this is not at all the frontline CMs decision, but we voiced our feedback/disappointment and were also given the email address dcl.guest.communications@disneycruise.com to raise a more formal/written complaint. We are also strongly considering, cancelling one of the legs, even with it being past the date because we're still at this point able to get all but the deposit back & we'll take that and spend a nice weekend before the rest of the legs going to "that other place" in Orlando, maybe even onsite there.

Thats not really what people are upset about. Yes it will always be 2 weeks before someone’s cruise, but if they announced it well in advance with a start date months in the future that would give people time to cancel before their paid in full date. Announcing it 6 days before families are cruising is way too short for a potentially significant change for some families. I think people who have paid in full have a valid complaint. A lot of the comments here aren’t necessarily against that they changed the age range, it’s the short notice that was given and people are locked in.

I agree the age range was too wide, but some people booked a cruise with the understanding that their 11 year old could go to the same club as their 8 year sibling. Or their 11 year old had the option to go to Oceaneer if they weren’t comfortable with the Edge yet. And that has all changed with a 6 day notice. This isn’t due to some unforeseen circumstance like weather or a mechanical problem. They had to be considering this for awhile and to spring it on people before holiday cruises is poor planning.

Our sailing date is Feb 5th. Our son will turn 11 on January 17th. He is autistic and not ready for in and out privileges in the Edge. He may wander. He also wants to stay with his 8yo sister, who is his best friend. We now have no childcare for him and need to cancel our Palo brunch and our Enchante dessert party. My husband and I will get no time alone on this trip. We offered to provide legal documentation of his disability but even at just 15 days past the cutoff and with ASD they refuse to accommodate him. They also refused to let us cancel and said they would keep 100% of our fair - which is quite substantial since we booked concierge. I am in shock. It is a week before Christmas and I have to tell my son that he can’t access the facility he’s been watching videos of for a year. This change may be necessary to execute but it was implemented in a horrifically insensitive manner.

Last edited:
I’ve read this whole thread and correct me if I’m wrong but I haven’t seen a single poster complaining about separating 3 year olds and 12 year olds. Whatever happened to precipitate this decision sounds tragic and heartbreaking and I’m glad Disney has taken action. The issue is that the action they’ve chosen — merge the 10-12 age range with a different age grouping that is ALSO inappropriate— was not an adequate response.

Our sailing date is Feb 5th. Our son will turn 11 on January 17th. He is autistic and not ready for in and out privileges in the Edge. He may wander. He also wants to stay with his 8yo sister, who is his best friend. We now have no childcare for him and need to cancel our Palo brunch and our Enchante dessert party. My husband and I will get no time alone on this trip. We offered to provide legal documentation of his disability but even at just 15 days past the cutoff and with ASD they refuse to accommodate him. They also refused to let us cancel and said they would keep 100% of our fair - which is quite substantial since we booked concierge. I am in shock. It is a week before Christmas and I have to tell my son that he can’t access the facility he’s been watching videos of for a year. We are platinum cruisers and will never sail with Disney again. This change may be necessary to execute but it was implemented in a horrifically insensitive manner.
This is beyond not okay. ASD and other kids with special needs or even neurotypical kids might still not be ready for the freedom of Edge. Yes I can see some concerns about 3-12 together especially in light of some the cases but there have also been incidents of crew members on cruise ships SAing children- having an 11 yo that would have otherwise be in secure programming being allowed to check themselves out if they want to engage with other kids can also lead to potential problems.

I cannot believe that DCL is at least not allowing families this impacts to cancel without penalty. Poorly done on their part

I’ve read this whole thread and correct me if I’m wrong but I haven’t seen a single poster complaining about separating 3 year olds and 12 year olds. Whatever happened to precipitate this decision sounds tragic and heartbreaking and I’m glad Disney has taken action. The issue is that the action they’ve chosen — merge the 10-12 age range with a different age grouping that is ALSO inappropriate— was not an adequate response.
The 10 year olds are not involved in this, they are staying where they are. And there is no change to the age range of Edge, it was always for 11-14. The only change is that now 11-12 year olds can only go to Edge and not have the choice to go to both

This is beyond not okay. ASD and other kids with special needs or even neurotypical kids might still not be ready for the freedom of Edge. Yes I can see some concerns about 3-12 together especially in light of some the cases but there have also been incidents of crew members on cruise ships SAing children- having an 11 yo that would have otherwise be in secure programming being allowed to check themselves out if they want to engage with other kids can also lead to potential problems.

I cannot believe that DCL is at least not allowing families this impacts to cancel without penalty. Poorly done on their part
Unfortunately Disney won’t allow children older than the age cutoff into any space (during secured programming), regardless of additional needs. It is not fair to have this change sprung on them but there will never be exceptions for kids of any age to stay in a lower age group

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter