Kids Club Age Change

On one hand I totally understand the 3-10 age breakdown. Our school limits playground times around the age of kids so the littles don't get run over. Recess is K-2, 3-4 and 5th is on their own. But regarding the kid clubs, I don't understand why they won't take kids on a case by case basis. A kid is shy, wants to hang with younger sib, kid on the cusp of teen wants to move up, kids with needs could go where they feel comfortable.... I feel for the littles. Honestly, the littles should have their own space. I can only imagine how a 12 yr old would bowl over a 3 yr old. The last minute announcement is crazy.

FYI: We stopped having our kids leave messages with their whereabouts on white boards years ago after a borderline creepy experience we had. Ultimately, we just didn't like the idea that anybody walking by could see where they were at any time. If my clients' kids don't have phones but they do have permission to wander the ship on their own, I recommend that they have their kids slip notes under the stateroom door if they can fit them or that they outfit a door organizer with envelopes that their kids can leave notes in. Still not 100% secure but better than a kid essentially announcing where they're going to anybody who happens to be in the area.

I know some families keep the whiteboard inside the stateroom so it isn't "public" for anyone to view.
That works too! We personally had a rule that they couldn't come back INTO the stateroom alone, but that would be a good solution for families who don't have that rule.

No need for a white board or having the kids walk back to the cabin.
Teach them the old school way of leaving a message.
They can call the cabin from the Edge or any house phone (usually located by the elevators). Parents can check the messages from the phone in cabin or call the cabin from a house phone and retrieve the message.

Calling was useless - they told us to talk to counselors when we get there to see if there’s wiggle room. Yeah right. And also, poor counselors!! Way to throw them under the bus dealing with upset parents!!

The only thing she would do is give me an email address to contact: dcl.guest.communications@disneycruise.com and include your sail date and other information. Gonna go do that now, we’ll see what happens.
Yeah no way the counselors are going to be making exceptions. If they do it for some and not others it will just make more people even more mad. I don't sail with any young kids any more but this is some BS a week out I must say. Should have been announced where the start date was within the cancellation window. But that's probably not an accident :(

Thanks, when I started I told my friends and family I wanted to do it for a year, next thing I know it's 2023 😂

I can't wait to live in the rainforest room and getting to eat the good food 🤣
Haha!!! As long as you love it, do it forever!
Ahh sounds amazing! I am so jealous!

That works too! We personally had a rule that they couldn't come back INTO the stateroom alone, but that would be a good solution for families who don't have that rule.
Why couldn't they go into the stateroom alone?

No need for a white board or having the kids walk back to the cabin.
Teach them the old school way of leaving a message.
They can call the cabin from the Edge or any house phone (usually located by the elevators). Parents can check the messages from the phone in cabin or call the cabin from a house phone and retrieve the message.
These days old- fashioned seems like just trusting your kids to make smart decisions.

Don’t flame me 😂, but if my kids were in Vibe and I wanted to swing by and check on them, can I actually get there? I understand there’s a secured door or hallway or something? Hoping the CMs on here can answer. My 13 year old wants to age up, and my 17 year old is on the spectrum. And yes, I helicopter. No judgment. 😀 (They will have their phones but often stick them in a pocket or bag and forget about them.)

Why couldn't they go into the stateroom alone?
We just weren't comfortable with the possibility of someone seeing our child entering their stateroom by themselves. And we didn't want to put them in the position of having a crew member potentially walk in when they were in there alone. When we first started giving our kids in-and-out privileges in the Club/Lab, we talked with a lot of seasoned cruisers and read up on guidelines that we might set for them. We decided on no elevators, no entering the stateroom by yourself, stay in common areas as much as possible, etc. It's been awhile lol, so I can't remember everything we decided on as a family, but I know those were some of the things.

but if my kids were in Vibe and I wanted to swing by and check on them, can I actually get there? I understand there’s a secured door or hallway or something?
On the Dream and the Fantasy there is a special door that the teens get key card access to. Right outside the door is a phone with the Vibe phone # on it so you can call and tell the counselors who you're looking for and they can send them out to you or give them the phone to talk.

The Magic, Wonder and Wish don't have that door so you can come and get who you're looking for. You can't stay unless it's open house but you certainly can talk to your kids or the counselors to see how their doing.

I am in YA currently on one of the ships. After reading this thread I can see you are all extremely annoyed and shocked by this change in policy. It was a shock to us onboard as well. We have been changing things up to get ready to implement this policy. As other crew have already said, we are also worried about how this will go down over the next few days. I’m here, so you can ask me your questions or vent to me as needed. We are sorry this is impacting so many people, but we also welcome the change as it was desperately needed.

I am in YA currently on one of the ships. After reading this thread I can see you are all extremely annoyed and shocked by this change in policy. It was a shock to us onboard as well. We have been changing things up to get ready to implement this policy. As other crew have already said, we are also worried about how this will go down over the next few days. I’m here, so you can ask me your questions or vent to me as needed. We are sorry this is impacting so many people, but we also welcome the change as it was desperately needed.
I truly appreciate your input and I absolutely agree that the change was needed. I would love the club and lab to be separate to be honest 3 to 10 is still too big. I feel absolutely awful for CMs due to this terrible rollout, 6 months lead time would have been appropriate not 1 week! You guys give so much to Disney and they make it so hard for you all the time. We see you and appreciate what you do!!

Our 12 year old son loved to play in the club and we booked our January Marvel cruise on the Dream as his last chance to play. I do hope edge can add more because it does feel like less of an experience to him compared to driving the millennium falcon or designing a roller coaster. He is looking for that type of immersion in his cruise. I am not concerned with him wandering the ship or being a menace he just loves to play.

I'm new to DCL, but we were considering a cruise, mainly because I have a Marvel/Star Wars mad child, and the kids club looks really inmersive and fun.

When you read the description of the activities on The Wish. There is mention of 'testing a battle with Marvel villains', 'channel the force to secure the ship,' 'design their own rollercoaster'.

These activities sound like they are a lot more suited to 11 and 12 year olds than 3 and 4 year olds?

Could those with experience tell me, are the activities and spaces made to sound grander than they really are? Would a 9/10 year old be bored by them?

The policy change and new age split has confused me, because the description of the spaces sound more appropriate for the older children. I am now second guessing booking a DCL cruise with a 9/10 year old if the activities aren't as exciting as they sound! We might combine WDW with Universal instead of the DCL trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter