Kids, RunDisney and School

So clearly I'm out on my own here. I am not particularly concerned about missing school days so far as my kids are not behind or struggling to keep up. My district doesn't give a written warning until 10 unexcused absences, 15 before you've actually got a problem. I tell the teachers the truth. They missed yesterday and today for travel to Avengers, will miss Monday to for our flight home. They'll miss two days in February for PHM weekend too. I do not travel around testing weeks, but other than that I think missing a few days here and there is ok. I've never had a bad reaction from their teachers.

Perhaps it's the leniency of my district, but I do believe there is something to family experiences. There's no guarantee of what we can do in the future. If we can do it now, they want to, and the school is not giving me a hard time, then it's worth it to me.

You're not on your own. I also am not particularly concerned about missing school days. We just make sure to clear it ahead of time with the school, and they've been completely fine with it. We also make sure that the kids aren't missing anything major (such as testing) before we do this. The kids take their homework with them and do it during travel. They have not missed a beat in their education thus far. :) Plus, it reinforces a healthy and active lifestyle for my kids, which isn't always easy in the age of electronic entertainment.

I also agree completely that family experiences like this are important, and I will continue to do these types of things as long as it doesn't interfere with the kids' education.

So clearly I'm out on my own here.

I'm trying to figure out where you feel you're alone. There's actually no one who responded (before or after you) in a way that's drastically different.

You're lucky because your district is incredibly lenient, which of course makes it easy for you to feel more lenient. But no one on here is fainting over the idea of taking a kid out. And others have said that they are honest as well.

I guess when I went to school this was unheard of as you would miss school if you were sick or a family emergency

Oh, I bet it wasn't as strict as you and/or your family felt it was. I graduated HS in '87 and there were MANY people who missed school to go to Hawaii or skiing, etc. I don't know how it was excused or what was told to the teachers (though the skiing thing was kinda obvious since the kids would end up with tons of ski lift tickets on their zippers...is that done anymore?).

But I feel that you're going by what you *feel*, and you aren't talking to the teachers and principal of your kids' school(s). Those are the only authorities that matter in your case. Once you know the actual situation you might face, then you can decide what you are OK with.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter