Kids who pay adult price but want children's items

disneymom2one

All our dreams can come true, if we have the coura
So we'll have an 11 year old next trip. She still likes (occasionally) a kid's dessert or possibly a kid's meal (less and less of that though). We'll have the dining plan and will pay for the adult plan for her obviously. But does anyone know if restaurants will have a problem with her ordering off the kid's menu? I'm assuming not.

No, they won't have a problem with that at all, and they may even give her more on her plate (larger portion) since she is paying the adult price.

The only problem they have, however, is a child that paid child rate ordering off the adult menu.

Actually,

The person helping me said when we paid for 2 adults and 1 child that the 'card reader' does not know the difference between adult credits and adult credits. For example, if you had three child credits for a table service and three adults ordered dinner...the meal plan would never know the difference. Of course, we are going to play by the 'rules' we have 2 adults and once child and paid for such. But if my Dh wants pizza off the kids menu and my ds wants chicken off the adult menu, the dining plan would accept that. Or if everyone wants to order off the adult menu...all the plan sees is 3 meal credits. Interesting, huh? :rolleyes:

Yes, the "plan" sees all meals the same. However, the server doesn't. The server sees that you paid for 2 adult and 1 child meal plans and that usually is what they allow you to order.

katgarbars said:
Yes, the "plan" sees all meals the same. However, the server doesn't. The server sees that you paid for 2 adult and 1 child meal plans and that usually is what they allow you to order.

:thumbsup2 Exactly!

The card says 2A, 1C (for example), and I know from experience that my kids had to order off the child's menu because they are children and that is what I paid for and that is what it said on my card (1A, 2C); there was no way they'd let me order for them off the adult menu and I wouldn't even think of trying.

Come on people. Some really are pushing the limits. :rolleyes:

Well I am not pushing the limits...I have a 7 year old son that could pass for 5...so there is NO way he could be confused for an adult. BUT I know people who's kids are at the cut off could pay for a child's meal but order off the adult menu and no one would ever know. I guess it is just up to everyone to decide what they think is fair. I play by the rules, but then again I am not queen of the world (at least my husband keeps reminding me of that) and everyone has to decide for themselves what is right and wrong. :thumbsup2

beattyfamily said:
Come on people. Some really are pushing the limits. :rolleyes:

I agree. :sad2:

Anyone wanna start a wager as to when Disney will stop their dining plan due to abuse? ;)

We had a problem a couple of weeks ago at Whispering Canyon. The server didn't want to let DS(10) order off the kid's menu. He finally let us but he had to speak to the manager first. We didn't have any problems ordering off the kids menu at any other TS place.

My 11 year old son also likes the kids menu especialy at TS meals. If he wanted a kids meal we just paid out of pocket and used his adult meal for us. We paid for him as an adult and I was not about to use it in a kid meal. We had no problems the whole trip. I will say at buffets they did charge him as an adult so we had to use adult credits then.

RNJOY

My brother is 12 and is considered an adult - but I am sure he will choose to order off the kids menu (he's picky). My mother will be paying the $5-10 for his meal, and we are going to use his extra credits to go to a Signature Restaurant.

the children's menus in WDW are sooo limited though (especially at counter service.. where all menus are limited too). I don't wnat the world at one counter.. but I'd like to see a variation between locations!

I'd be concerned the 'childrens' menu even at sit down is nearly the same everywhere. Can only have chicken nuggets so many times!

My plan for my DD now considered an adult for pricing is to expect her to order from the adult menu. If for some reason she does not want to then I will pay OOP for her kids meal--I'm not going to force her,but she has really adult tastes so I am not worried. Last year when we used the DDP we expected to use the plan for children's meal and it was explained to us everywhere we ate. I don't think the plan is being abused so very much. Most people know what they are supposed to do, many others expect it to work as A and C, not everyone reads these boards and is so aware of the loopholes. I don't see them discontinuing this program since it is doing just what they expected 1. keeping you a captive audience, no reason to leave and 2. If you order OOP they get the $10.99 plus the extra you pay so win win.

I agree, I do not think many people know as much as the people here. The people here (except me) are Disney experts :lovestruc

I also agree that the kids choices are sometimes a bit poor and at a few places, there was one kid's choice. For example, I saw a hamburger stand (counter service) that had cold chicken cubes for the only kid's choice...so if someone there told my 7 year old he could have a hamburger, I would have gladly accepted it. I think that too many chicken nuggets are bad too..but since all of us are getting MORE FOOD than we can eat on the plan, we can always give our kids extra veggies, or half our steak.

Most people try to follow the rules and have :love: in the hearts. It is only a few naughty ones who break the rules :stir: but I say let's not worry with them.

Hugs :goodvibes

We paid for our whole family to be adults even though DD is 9, that way she has the option of ordering a "real meal" when she wants, or if she isn't so hungry can order off the kids menu and we will pay OOP for kids meal. My DS is 12, and I am hoping that at CG we can order off the kids menu for him as using 2 TS credits for him is a total waste. Has anyone ever done this?

How did this get so off-track? OP wanted to know if your older child could order off the kids menu and use an adult credit. I am curious also. I have girls 12 and 13 and thought they could not order off of kids menu, although I showed them menus and they didn't want any of the adult offerings. They also thought the chocolate moose at LeCellier looked better than the adult dessert choices. So...
Can they order a kids meal with an adult credit?
Can they order an adult entree with a dessert from the kids menu with an adult credit?

I am not trying to cheat the system, I don't even have any kids that qualify as kids at Disney, although I have 3 that are definitely still kids. ;)

Allensfan said:
The person helping me said when we paid for 2 adults and 1 child that the 'card reader' does not know the difference between adult credits and adult credits. For example, if you had three child credits for a table service and three adults ordered dinner...the meal plan would never know the difference.

Not for much longer...... ;)

Tink10 said:
Not for much longer...... ;)
Doesn't affect me since all my "kids" will be considered "adults" by DDP standards, but I'm just curious what makes you think the plan will be changing soon?
Do you have inside info or making an assumption?

Friends who were at WDW 2 weeks ago were able to order children's meals for their adult children. In some instances the portions were larger than the regular children's size. Usually the wait staff would ask if they wanted to pay OOP for the children's meal or use the DDP TS credit.

Kids who pay adult price on the DDP should never have a problem ordering a kid's meal & using a credit, unless the server is incredible out of sorts......In that case, I'd ask for a manager.

While there is no "official" word on the subject....yet. The information that I've received (from a very knowledgable inside source) is that the "code" to differentiate adult & child credits on the DDP is in the works. They really do know how people are taking advantage of the current situation & are working to put an end to it. Anyone who works for or who has worked for Disney knows that they do take their time. As I said in another thread, they rarely, if ever, make changes in haste & things are normally pretty thorough & well thought out. :sunny:

Tink10 said:
While there is no "official" word on the subject....yet. The information that I've received (from a very knowledgable inside source) is that the "code" to differentiate adult & child credits on the DDP is in the works. They really do know how people are taking advantage of the current situation & are working to put an end to it. Anyone who works for or who has worked for Disney knows that they do take their time. As I said in another thread, they rarely, if ever, make changes in haste & things are normally pretty thorough & well thought out. :sunny:

Interesting! Thanks for the info Tink :thumbsup2

Tink10 said:
Kids who pay adult price on the DDP should never have a problem ordering a kid's meal & using a credit, unless the server is incredible out of sorts......In that case, I'd ask for a manager.

Until this "actually" happens, I won't believe it. People have been talking about this changing since the very beginning. Since the old dining plans, silver, gold and platinum used wishes instead of credits, it was the same concept. The wishes were pooled, you could pay oop for the kids and use the wishes for other things. This stayed the same for the current DDP. Disney knows what they are doing, they knew what was going to happen. Everyone last year said, yes it is changing, and they had it from reliable sources. Well guess what, a year later and it hasn't changed. The DDP is bringing more people onsite and in TS restaurants and bringing in more money. Plenty of people don't use all their TS, CS or Snack credits. CM's tell people that the credits are pooled. The execs at Disney are very bright people, if it was going to change I think it would have already, don't you??

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter