Kinda OT....What does Ariel get paid???

Now I have to ask this. What is the cost of living for "normal" people living in the area. Most of us have seen the tourist price of things. Those seem like ok paying jobs, but a house and family might be a bit tough depending on number of hours working.

I just always wonder about OT things like that.

I moved down there just to work at DW and the cost of things were a bit higher than where I'm from (Indiana). Groceries, everything was higher. Disney didn't pay me enough but then again, I wasn't in it for the money either, I just wanted to be a part of it all. The perks are nice but the pay isn't. Would have worked out great if my DH made alot of money and I could work there for fun, but it just wasn't like that for us and I had to quit so my DH and I could get married (they refused to grant me time off for my wedding) :confused3 So that dream ended and I moved back to Indiana. I have lots of fond memories and I'd do it again in a heartbeat if I could tranfer with my current job!! :lovestruc princess: (houses cost a lot more too) But I guess that all depends on where you live now-it could be less for you!

I always figured you had to work your way up to Mickey, and he got paid the big bucks:confused3
:laughing:

I am just floored that some of the CM in these character costumes are so awesome at their jobs when they get paid so little for what they do.
Guess it explains some of the 'miserable' CMs you meet as well:lmao:

I had a friend move down to Orlando to work at WDW as a performer - her dream job. She stayed for about a year and then ended up having to move back home because she just couldn't afford to live on the measly pay she was bringing in.

I did the college program twice. I wasn't a face character but I worked in entertainment. The pay is not great. I almost did an advanced college program but decided to go to graduate school instead. I would have loved to stay at WDW and become a manager or taken another job, but you just can't live on an entry level WDW pay in Orlando.

I have known a few people who work at WDW and none of them lived in Orlando, they usually live in the surrounding area, like where I live, about 30-45 min. away, Orlando is WAY too expensive to live

Gotta wonder, too, how many are aspiring actors/singers, etc... who are looking for a big break or connections or whatnot.

Sort of puts things in perspective for those of us in line to meet Ariel...to remember that when she goes home at night she's likely living on Ramen noodles. Somehow makes the heat seem just a tad more bearable (after all, I'm not wearing a heavy red-hair wig!)

Thanks to all the underpaid, underappreciated CM's out there! You make Disney magical for us!

I would imagine she would work for gadgets and gizmos aplenty, whosits and whatits glore. Thigamabobs, no, she has plenty. Then again, she wants mooooooooooooore...... :cool1:

OMG that just brought the biggest smile to my face EVER!!!! LOVE IT!!:rotfl2:

when i went down in aug i called the job line just to see if they needed bus drivers(im a school bus driver now so i have all the endorsements needed) and they told me yes "were always looking for drivers and ones that have the endorsements also helps and you can start at $9.00/hr now if we have to train you you start at $8.50/hr" i was kinda shocked about how little they get no way could i live on that now the only good thing was she told me you can and prob. will hit 40 hours if not more a week but its all different shifts and they cant tell you if your going to have off for a certain holiday(i would need to know so i can have family down) i would love to work there maybe when my dh wants to retire in 30-40 yrs

there is an it depends add on... the face characters in the shows get paid the actors union scale

Actually, that depends on the show and whether they are IN the union or not. In order for them to make AEA scale, they have to be members. There are some shows where the face characters are NOT union and make the low pay end while the dancers they are working with (who are NOT face characters) are IN the union and make more. However, Actors' Equity just went through a negotiation with Disney and more of their shows and actors are now unionized.

We recently moved down from IL, (in August) and while we don't live in the city of Orlando, we do live in a town not too far away (Lake County). The cost of living is a little higher than from where we moved from, but not much. That's not to say we could survive on that pay though.

8.50 is the pay i was making for my high school job! Granted, alot of the CMs probably are HS or barely college but obviously during school times, they are not all high schoolers. You would think that Disney would be more considerate about pay, especially with the Cost of Living. And think of ALLLLL the ppl these CMs have to deal with...

Wow, I was always under the impression Disney was an excellent organization to work for, but I guess things have changed everywhere. No more pixie dust inside those gates.

if we all got paid what we were worth, i'd be a trillionaire... so would most teachers and police and fire department, etc.

i'm not sure what you'd expect someone of ariel's caliber to be paid. i'm pretty sure she doesn't have a doctorate in underwater music.

really the only tragedy (and disney so isn't alone in this) is cutting back hours to prevent employees from being full time employees with full benefits.

incidentally, bus drivers do make more. i don't have the wage schedule in front of me right now, but since it goes alphabetically, i noticed last night that they max out at $15.something.

Very interesting thread. Just had to post. I would find it interesting if a former character CM posted on what they used to make.

My cousin worked as a face character in the parks, but not in production shows. He started in the vicinity of $8 per hour (this was 5 years ago) and had worked up to a little under $11 per hour. He moved out of state after graduating last year, and no longer works for Disney.

My great aunt also works at Disney (and has for 12 years) - she isn't a character, and is a retired elderly lady who enjoys the interaction...so she's not in it for the money.

The pay scale is certainly a bit low compared to other entry level jobs...with some perks on the side to help offset it. Still, Orlando is a pricey place to live, and I'd imagine it would be best to be a student working part time, a retired person not dependent on the income, or someone looking for the training and experience. Someone looking for the most money they can earn would probably be better off looking elsewhere!

I am not surprised at all. I would honestly be surprised if they were paid more.

Thinking about it, it's not a job that requires a special degree or extra training for, other than whatever training Disney gives.

The turnover is most likely pretty high.

The characters are not performing anything more than greeting people, getting their pictures taken and signing a piece of paper.

I'm not say the job is not hard, I've never been a character. But I understand why it's a min. wage+ job.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter