LA to SF overnight train - thoughts?

Lumpy1106

DIS Veteran
A start-up is proposing to run an overnight train from LA to SF and presumably vice-versa. Would you do this?
https://www.sfgate.com/travel/article/la-sf-night-train-proposal-dreamstar-17891587.php
"Fares would cost roughly $300, $600 and $1,000, he estimated, for a one-person roomette, two-person bedroom or premium room. The goal is to charge less than Amtrak, which sells various sleeping accommodations and coach seats on its trains at prices that vary with demand."

I saw that article.

Amtrak's Coast Starlight makes the LA-Bay Area (they don't actually go to San Francisco) trip during the daytime. I've gone south as far as Santa Barbara. I've also taken Amtrak between LA or Anaheim to the Bay Area, and it was either bus between the Bay Area and Santa Barbara plus a train to LA, or a train to Bakersfield then a bus to LA or Anaheim. Those were actually quite cheap and coach seating on a train is reasonably comfortable to sleep in. A bus may not be.

Even $300 one way would be a lot. I was caught up in the Southwest Meltdown on Christmas Day and I got the last Richmond-Bakersfield-Anaheim ticket available. That was RIC-BFD on the Amtrak California San Joaquins and then a bus that went several places including LA Union Station and Anaheim. I think it was $62. The problem on the train was no cafe open but they did provide free snack boxes.

Not sure they can really compete with airlines. And the hard part would be getting passenger slots on tracks that Union Pacific owns and dispatches. But I suppose the biggest benefit would be direct to San Francisco - probably at the 4th and King station near the ballpark, which is currently only used by Caltrain. Any Amtrak ride through San Francisco requires a bus. They used to have a lot more bus stops, but now Amtrak only has one in a rather strange location.

I wouldn't take the train at that price. Flying is MUCH cheaper and faster.

Why not fly? I haven't done that drive in over 20 years. It's so cheap to fly Southwest up there and rent a car instead of driving.

It's only about 5 hours and one would have a personal car. I've also rented a car to make that trip.

The stressful part is always driving in LA. Renting a car isn't going to help with that.

It's only about 5 hours and one would have a personal car. I've also rented a car to make that trip.

The stressful part is always driving in LA. Renting a car isn't going to help with that.

A flight is an hour. That's better than 5. Even tacking on an hour early to arrive at the airport, it's better than 5 in a train, in my opinion. I'm really not sure who the target demographic is for this at those prices.

You’d still have to rent a car if you wanted on in LA.

A flight is an hour. That's better than 5. Even tacking on an hour early to arrive at the airport, it's better than 5 in a train, in my opinion. I'm really not sure who the target demographic is for this at those prices.

But then there's dealing with ground transportation to origin airport, rental car shuttle to the airport, etc. That eats time and the price of rental cars is pretty high now. Sometimes I prefer to drive a car I'm familiar with.

I did rather like going down to Southern California by bus/train during the day after the Southwest Airlines Christmastime meltdown. The bus ride was kind of odd because of traffic due to construction, but we got to San Luis Obispo in time and there were lots of people looking to take the train. A conductor said it was the busiest he ever saw after Christmas, as there were a lot of people stranded and who opted for Amtrak.

But overnight? One of the fun things about trains is being able to look out the window. The view from San Luis Obispo to maybe Ventura is spectacular. I wouldn't want to sleep that route.

Southern Pacific used to operate different trains between the Bay Area and LA. There was the San Joaquin Daylight, but also the Coast Daylight.

You’d still have to rent a car if you wanted on in LA.

I've gotten around LA using only public transportation. Wasn't easy though. Especially with a 12 year old.

Why is that woman talking to a guy named Dan who doesn't seem to be there?

I've gotten around LA using only public transportation. Wasn't easy though. Especially with a 12 year old.

Why is that woman talking to a guy named Dan who doesn't seem to be there?
What does that have to do with anything in this discussion?

You keep claiming that rental cars are an issue with flights. They are equally an issue with the train (it is NOT an autotrain). If you can get around LA with public transportation, you could do that when flying too.

What does that have to do with anything in this discussion?

You keep claiming that rental cars are an issue with flights. They are equally an issue with the train (it is NOT an autotrain). If you can get around LA with public transportation, you could do that when flying too.

I'm comparing flying to driving.

I drive because I can;t take my dog on the plane! I am a CA native and have never made that trip under 6 hours unless the middle of the night!

I dunno man, I'd rather sit in traffic at the stack w/ that weird merge onto the 5 south than drive for several hours dodging passing trucks and getting blasted with aggressive cow fart.

I love the idea of a train, but at that price point, I would just fly into SNA or LGB and hire a car service to the resort.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter