Lagoon has water again!

ktulu

This space for rent.
They filled the lagoon at DL, and the subs are back!

A few of the websites out there have pics, Laughingplace.com has movies and pics of the subs bring brought in.

http://www.laughingplace.com/Lotion-View.asp?ID=212

It's only temporary, but it's still very cool! Seeing the steps leading into the sub brings back childhood memories.

darren

Excuse my ignorance, but why are they bringing the subs back? You said it's just temporary, but why even then? It's cool too see the pictures, though! I just gotta know so I can drive my family nuts with more trivia!! :teeth:

The subs were stored inside the tunnel for the ride. The only way to get them out is to float them out, so they had to fill the lagoon, then will use a crane to move them from the lagoon to where they can be refurbished for the ride opening(Finding Nemo submarine ride) next year. The scheduled opening is May 07. http://jimhillmedia.com/blogs/jim_hill/archive/2005/04/27/587.aspx

What was the old sub ride? We have never been to DL and are going this July. Was it like the old 20,000 leagues under the sea at DW?

What is the "secret"? Let me take a shot....

A live animal, maybe a shark? That you see swimming past? Do other DL rides have live animals? They say it will be a "first". That would be my guess.

Chumpson said:
What is the "secret"? Let me take a shot....

A live animal, maybe a shark? That you see swimming past? Do other DL rides have live animals? They say it will be a "first". That would be my guess.

I doubt that, the salt water needed to sustain a shark would be hard on the metals in the lagoon. It would be very cool though!

darren

Thanks for the pics. It's nice to see water in the Lagoon again, even tho I hated that ride as a kid. I just remember how unbelievably hot and smelly it was in those subs. I'm sure ventilation and AC has improved over the years. Let's hope.
Cracks me up that those guys are all wearing vests. How deep is that water, 2 feet?

I think the water is deeper than 2 feet. From what I remember as a kid, an adult could stand in the sub, then you have the track under it, so at least 8 feet maybe?

I loved the ride as a kid, I'm so happy to see it is coming back, and my family in California will be happy to know that I'll be planning a trip out there after the ride is open again. A trip at the end of June and then another one in mid-late 2007, or early 2008. Now if I can convince my wife that we need to head to WDW (that's not the hard part, it is the money!)...

darren

Definitely good memories to see water and the subs back in the lagoon. Glad to see progress, since the last time I saw it, the lagoon was dry. I can only imagine the nightmare lines that will form when the ride reopens back up for Nemo. :crowded:

Awesome!

With the subs riding on tracks though, couldn't they have brought 'em out dry? I would think maybe the temporary filling is to test the new tech they're putting into the ride (I've heard all sorts of stuff from new projection tech to new hologram tech, but I won't buy into anything until I've seen it myself).

Watch the video on the link I posted. They have video of the subs coming out of the cave, and they are free floating, not on tracks. I suspect that the tracks are just guides, and the subs actually float. I was pretty excited to see them coming out of the caves. Too bad I didn't get to see it for myself :/

darren

Thanks for the link...the picture and the video are great to see!

The subs were always one of my favorite rides so I am glad to see them again.

Went in Oct and the lagoon was empty..it was a sad thing to look at. I am sure they have done a great job witht he refurb.

Thanks for the info!!!!

I am so excited about the subs returning! I am sure the ventilation and temp control will be greatly improved. I can't wait!!!! :Pinkbounc

ktulu said:
Watch the video on the link I posted. They have video of the subs coming out of the cave, and they are free floating, not on tracks. I suspect that the tracks are just guides, and the subs actually float. I was pretty excited to see them coming out of the caves. Too bad I didn't get to see it for myself :/

darren

Yeah I checked it out. Good stuff and I definately can't wait to go back now.

I can see where they'd have a degree of bouyancy when empty (ie why they're floating in the pics/video), but when you add in all the weight of the people on one sub, there's gotta be a good deal of weight on the tracks. It just seems like it'd be too easy for the subs to derail if they're not secured to the tracks somehow, be it by weight or wheels that tuck under the rails.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter