Le Cellier and BeaverTails....DIS! True "Epcot" Story

beachwarmer

<font color=deeppink>Thanks very much for the extr
While waiting for this weeks podcast I thought I would post some photos of the true Le Cellier/Beaver Tail experience in Ottawa.....

Here is a photo of the Rideau Canal with the Chateau Laurier in the background. Le Cellier is located in the replica of this historic hotel.

Feb2008_A013.jpg

The Rideau Canal is a World Heritage site and was built to have an inland water route to the capital city of Ottawa if the Americans attacked Canada. In the winter it is turned into the largest skating rink in the world stretching 4.8 miles through the center of the city.

Feb2008_A012.jpg

Here is where the famous Beaver Tail was first made popular. This is the true story of this "Canadian" treat. The version in Epcot was not nearly as enjoyable...... After braving the cold wind and sub zero temperature with your feet cold and hurting in your skates you find these little buildings along the 4.8 mile length.

Feb2008_A017.jpg

Really the allure of a Beaver Tail is that it is hot and will warm up your hands. It is easy to eat with mittens on while trying to stay upright on the thin blades of your skates. Deep fried dough with different toppings is not a Canadian staple food. It was the once a year treat when you went skating on the canal. This experience could not be dublicated in Epcot.

Feb2008_A020.jpg

Here is the menu. And below is where you sit to enjoy your treat....thankful that you can get off your skates for a few minutes and the searing pain in your feet will abade for a few minutes.

Feb2008_A021.jpg

Really it is as much fun as you can have in Ottawa in the winter......it was a beautiful, sunny warm, -2 C on Sunday when these photos were taken.

I hope you have enjoyed this edition of the Podsquad DIS True "Epcot" story....Le Cellier and the Beaver Tail.

Love it!!!

What wonderful photos...looks like a very fun place to be. :goodvibes

PS -- What's a Bacon Bunner?

Love it!!!

What wonderful photos...looks like a very fun place to be. :goodvibes

Funny...thats the first thing I noticed too. I want one of those instead...and I don't even know what it is....

I knew someone was going to ask.:goodvibes

Sorry I don't have a photo but...

It was advertised as 97% fat free....Canadian Back Bacon on a bun.

This was a new one for me.....I still really don't even know what Canadian bacon is....and to that point what is American cheese??????

This was a new one for me.....I still really don't even know what Canadian bacon is....and to that point what is American cheese??????

Well, my MIL (who is from the UK) says it's American cheese because it's so gross no other country would want to claim it. :teeth:

You made me homesick for my Ottawa!! But where is the raspberry jam ones??
I just reliezed I am going to tear up when I see the Chateau in EPCOT this year.
But yes Bevertail are only to be enjoyed in cold weather. On field trips the goal is to skate to the bevertail hut and back.

Well, the only place I have seen canadian bacon is at McDonalds. When I was a teenager I worked at McDonalds's and the egg mcmuffin breakfast sandwich had canadian bacon on it. It looked like a thick piece of ham. If I remember right it also included american cheese. :thumbsup2

Great Pics!
They have Beavertail franchises scattered around now, but there's nothing like a Beavertail in the winter on the canal! :goodvibes
I remember commenting to a CM about the building at the Canadian pavillion at Epcot reminding me of the Chateau Laurier in Ottawa and she told me it was supposed to be a take on the Chateau Frontenac in Quebec City. :confused3

I was looking for my Uncle in those pics! He used to skate the canal to get to work...Actually DH just got home from Ottawa last night. I don't get to go to Ottawa until September - for a wedding. Thankfully I will be in Epcot sooner than that!

Candian Bacon is Peameal ham I think...I always thought that American Cheese was a young orange cheddar...:confused3 no idea if either is right.

Well, my MIL (who is from the UK) says it's American cheese because it's so gross no other country would want to claim it. :teeth:

Someone from the UK making fun of our food? Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black??

I thought I might add what the true Cellier of that building is like. The old CP Hotels were put on the CP railway line. The celler of that is actually connected to the Confrence Centre (the original train station) across the street. by underground tunnels to add convienance to travlers.
The hotel is also known to be haunted by the founder who died on the Titanic.

Someone from the UK making fun of our food? Isn't that the pot calling the kettle black??

I know...pretty funny, huh? Anyway, I'm sure she meant no disrespect as she's actually lived in the States longer than I've been alive (and I'm no spring chicken!).

I know...pretty funny, huh? Anyway, I'm sure she meant no disrespect as she's actually lived in the States longer than I've been alive (and I'm no spring chicken!).

yea, we like to poke fun at them too ;-) I've never been to the UK but the food isn't a reason I'd go visit!

Gorgeous pictures!

The snow reminds me of our sugary white beaches. ;)

The snow reminds me of our sugary white beaches. ;)

Okay now that is really mean.....:)

Do tell what this photo reminds you of......

igloo.jpg

We have had 10 feet of snow this winter....not that I am bitter but I just finished shovelling again this morning after this massive plow push another foot into my driveway.

I guess I'm just nuts, but I LOVE snow. We just spent 4 days in Northen Michigan skiing and playing. We had a BLAST!! Bring on the snow...I could use a few more days to ski.

Beachwarmer, I've never actually seen one of those in person. :) But it looks a little like, but totally different, what I've seen them use on the beach roads when pushing the beaches off the road after a hurricane. :beach:

If it makes you feel better it was only 34 degrees this morning in my part of FL when I left for work.

Beachwarmer, I've never actually seen one of those in person. :) But it looks a little like, but totally different, what I've seen them use on the beach roads when pushing the beaches off the road after a hurricane. :beach:

If it makes you feel better it was only 34 degrees this morning in my part of FL when I left for work.

Did you have to wear a parka? I am trying to convert that to metric but it seems cold for Florida? It was -22 C here this morning. When I dropped my daughter off at school the children's were inside because it was to cold for them to have outdoor recess and they had to stay in all day.

On days like this I ask myself why we moved back to Canada from Bermuda.:confused3

....then I remember the huge flying cockroaches....:scared1:

P.S. I have lived through a couple of hurricanes and I will take the snow anytime....your point it well taken.

I am a Canadian who has never had a Beavertail in the cold. (Although skating the Rideau Canal is on my must-do list!)

My Beavertails have always been enjoyed in Hot Summers. Our Beavertail buildings (identical to the ones on the Rideau Canal - same franchise) come out in the Summer along the Halifax Harbour in Halifax, Nova Scotia.

I haven't heard this week's podcast yet...I assume they must have made reference to the Beavertail this week...if there is anything I can do to join the lobby group to bring those suckers back to Epcot, let me know!!!:thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter