Le Havre excursion advice

Edi

Earning My Ears
Hi We are first time DCL cruisers, mom with two kids (10 and 13). Unfortunately the disney excursions at Le Havre are already full when we tried to book, does anyone have any advice on things to do when we land at Le Havre? I was very interested in the Mont St. Michel excursion but wasn't able to find other reasonable priced group tours outside.

I do not know Le Havre specifically but as a French guy, I would recommend you take extra caution regarding your transportation options especially if you're going on your own — even if on a tour that is not Disney. Le Havre is primarily a cargo port, by no means intended to located near tourist attractions — unlike Civitavecchia for Rome or Piraeus for Athens. Whatever you do please make sure you know your way to your next port of call if you miss the ship. Maybe you won't miss it but I bet at least one party will not make it that day.

My personal suggestions nearby would be to check Étretat, a city very famous for its gorgeous cliffs. For those looking for a more lively atmosphere, Deauville has a very lovely boardwalk, think of it like Cannes / La côte d'Azur but in the Channel. Last but not least, Honfleur, just on the other side of the Seine river, is a truly amazing place, renowned for its many painters that depicted the port. Perfect spot to enjoy French cuisine in a place that is out of time!

By no means I am trying to frighten you and please visit Le Mont St-Michel if you can! Did you know that its shape was an inspiration for the castle at Disneyland Paris? Definitely worth a visit!

Are you (and/or your kids) into art? Heard good things about the excursion to Giverny where Monet lived and painted.

I did the one to Etretat, which was fine. Not good, not bad, but not something I would recommend for your group.

Reactions: Edi

We didn’t take a cruise, but did spend a week in Normandy on our honeymoon years ago. Overlord Tours was fantastic- and my husband is an American historian so he’s very picky about these things! The city most of their tours leave from, Rouen, is very lovely. There’s the Bayeux tapestry in Bayeux, also a beautiful little town. Honfleur is a gorgoeus little town to walk around (not a lot to do, but very picturesque). Mont-St-Michel is just a very special and unique place, but because of its further distance from Le Havre, I’d personally only do that one through Disney directly. I’d recommend regularly checking back on the excursions website - people often overbook and cancel or change, and something may come up.

For the love of God, do not try to do Paris in one day believe me, you’ll thank me later.

I live in Europe, and to be honest Le Havre it for me, is like Nassau. I enjoy an empty ship, as everyone else goes ashore. Le Havre is a typical stop for most European Sailings. The focus is usually Normandie nearby. There really isn’t much most excursions involve investing much time getting from a to B.

Reactions: Edi

I do not know Le Havre specifically but as a French guy, I would recommend you take extra caution regarding your transportation options especially if you're going on your own — even if on a tour that is not Disney. Le Havre is primarily a cargo port, by no means intended to located near tourist attractions — unlike Civitavecchia for Rome or Piraeus for Athens. Whatever you do please make sure you know your way to your next port of call if you miss the ship. Maybe you won't miss it but I bet at least one party will not make it that day.

My personal suggestions nearby would be to check Étretat, a city very famous for its gorgeous cliffs. For those looking for a more lively atmosphere, Deauville has a very lovely boardwalk, think of it like Cannes / La côte d'Azur but in the Channel. Last but not least, Honfleur, just on the other side of the Seine river, is a truly amazing place, renowned for its many painters that depicted the port. Perfect spot to enjoy French cuisine in a place that is out of time!

By no means I am trying to frighten you and please visit Le Mont St-Michel if you can! Did you know that its shape was an inspiration for the castle at Disneyland Paris? Definitely worth a visit!
Thank you!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter