Leaving tonight and have question

bradleysnana

Mouseketeer
I know we are stupid for trying to go to Disney next week but hubby wanted to. I have never been when it was really crowded so when we took out autistic grandson there was never a need for a GAC. I am really worried about this trip. How much did the GAC help? Were there any attractions it did not work at? How do you know what to do with the GAC? Most of the rides are out with him anyway since he has severe sensory issues and really is afraid of anything he does not understand or can not see in advance. Dumbo is ok and other rides similar to Dumbo. However, if we have to wait to ride more than 10-15 minutes, he becomes very agitated and aggresive. Also waiting on shows will be terrible. Help--Any last minute advice would be VERY appreciated!!!

I hope you haven't left yet. (And that you have a great time).
We just got back on Wed night. MK was very busy each time we went, but the other parks, not bad at all.
The GAC we had allowed us to use alternative entrances (which would allow a wait somewhere other than in the regular line). We only used it when the wait in the regular line would be 15 minutes or more and we did get fastpasses when we could rather than use the GAC. We showed that GAC to the first CM we came to and were pleasantly surprised to see they all know what to to. The new GACs have a picture that indicates to the CM what type of assistance is needed - much easier than the old GAC we got last year that had a lot of writing on it. In some lines we were allowed access thru the fastpass line - in others we were given a slip of paper with a return time equal to the current wait time in the regular line.
I know the GAC doesn't work for the character greeting lines, but otherwise, you can pretty much use it at all places. Exactly what happens at each line depends a little on the ride, but the CM closest to the entrance can help you with that.
There are some rides (like Pirates, or shows, like It's Tough to Be a Bug) that you have to walk thru the whole line anyway (the fastpass line is no shorter distance). At Alladin's flying carpet and Triceraptop Spin (similar rides to Dumbo), we entered thru the exit and waited there in a quieter spot for about the time we would have been in the standby line. The lines for those looked long, but the waiting time posted for the standby line was still only 10 minutes. Waiting times varied a lot - we never got on the Jungle Cruise, but once when we went by, the standby line was 15 minutes and a little later it was 35 min.
Each park has a status Board that lists current wait times for various attractions. The CMs at those can be very helpful with figuring out what is not busy and the best times to go.

Also, if it would help him to be less agitated in line, you can get a stamp on the GAC that allows a stroller to be used as a wheelchair. A lot of people with children with autism find this helps to cut down on stimulation and helps provide a little "safe" room the moves with the child. Especially the solid sided WDW park strollers at MK, Epcot and MGM. The hard plastic sides and back also provide some pressure sensations.

Hope you have a wonderful trip!

Sue, I wanted to comment about the CM and the GAC. We were pleasantly surprised at how many knew right away. Actually we didn't even have to show them our card. They were very nice and all seemed to be very aware and up to date on what was going on. The last time we went we ran into some CM that were not as nice. We just think they didn't know and were not trained as well.

We were pleasantly surprised too. I know they did a major education for the CMs when they changed to the "picture icon" cards. Before that, we had problems with CMs who didn't seem to know what the card meant to their ride. Each one we encountered now seemed very aware of what to do.

have a wonderful trip...:D

Bradley has a great nana and papa:D And you've still got to come visit Nova Scotia!!:D

:sunny:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter