Left-Over Food in your DVC room

Camshell

Mouseketeer
What are the options for your left over food in your DVC room, such as opened bags of bread, cereal, milk, cookies, peanut butter, jam, etc. or un-opened food items ? We're flying so probably won't be packing out much left-over food if we have it. If we leave it behind will the cleaning staff take it (and use in their lunchroom, etc.) or just throw it in the garbage? Any one know?

I'd throw away the food, much as I understand how painful it is to throw away perfectly good food. I think the housekeeping CM is unlikely to have room on their cart for it, and has plenty of work to get done. If you want to make the staff happy, leave a nice tip! :)

On the other hand, I'm almost positive that lots of people leave the food in their fridge for exactly the reasons we've mentioned, so the staff is used to it. Maybe if you leave the food, you should leave a larger tip! :lmao:

I have asked the Bell Services staff before if they want any of our unused non-perishables and pretty much the only stuff they'll take is like unopened bottles of water or soda etc. I also hate throwing away perfectly good food but I usually chuck whatever we haven't finished into the trash before we leave so Mousekeeping doesn't have to do it... I try very hard not to over-shop for food and get the bare minimums delivered for our stays so we don't waste THAT much... I wouldn't think that they'd want opened items. That's kinda ewwy.

I couldn't remember what the advice was that I read here, so I tossed all the fridge and freezer leftovers. I left on the counter all the unopened drinks (water, soda). I tossed the juice boxes and applesauce cups.

We throw out all opened food and leave unopened stuff for mousekeeping or bell service staff. I contacted Disney to make sure that it is okay for mousekeepers to take stuff we leave and I was told that it is fine. Beer seems to be a particularly popular leftover. When I tell our mousekeeper that we are leaving beer, she is usually waiting when we leave. And Bell staff also seems happy to get beer! :lmao: Also, we keep some unopened stuff in our Owner's Locker.

I wish they could set up a place for us to leave unopened food items.They could then be given to a food pantry or shelter.

The CMs will happily take any thing you leave .As long as it is unopened. We look at is as an addition to the tip we always leave.

In the past we have also given items to other guests to use.

As my mother always said it is a sin to waste food.

Once we did have one neighbor ask us if we weanted to buy a left over case of beer from him!

We usually bag up our unopened food/drink & find a family that is checking in & give it to them. They have always been very appreciative. It starts their trip with a little extra "magic" (if you can call water, pop and fruit snacks magic!)

Now that I know they will take unopened food, I think I'll try and buy multiples of smaller packages/portions so that if we don't finish something it doesn't need to go to waste. It just seems so wrong to throw out food when people are going hungry in our world.

You can also ask another guest in your vicinity if they would like your left overs. Like the guest next door, another walking down the hall, someone in the laundry room, etc.

I have seen others post "Here now and have this (insert food/drink available) and am in room # (insert here) if anyone wants it."

It usually gets claimed pretty quick and is appreciated by your fellow DVC'ers.

We give some stuff to other guest (esp. juice boxes, beer, bottle water), but often we just go through the stuff and if there's alot left we leave it for the housekeepers. Not sure how many have noticed, but many of the housekeepers have smaller cooler bags (some have large ones) they keep on their carts. One day waiting at the light near BWV we saw a group of housekeeprs crossing the street at the end of the day. Most of them were carrying shopping bags, grocery bags, coolers, and bottles of detergent. I'm sure it's a perk of the job for them. since they seem to appreciate it, I have no problem leaving some of my items for them.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter