Let's speculate about Polynesian some more!

How likely do you think the Polynesian tower will be part of a new/old association?

• 100% new association

Votes: 113 37.0%
  • 80% new association / 20% current association

Votes: 64 21.0%
  • 60% new association / 40% current association

Votes: 28 9.2%
  • 40% new association / 60% current association

Votes: 17 5.6%
  • 20% new association / 80% current association

Votes: 32 10.5%
  • 0% new association / 100% current association

Votes: 51 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If they open in February '25, could someone purchase a December UY, for instance, and have '24 points?

That would mean they'd sell points for calendar years prior to the year the units open, no?
I'm pretty sure if your UY has passed you don't get the points, but i could be mistaken.

If they open in February '25, could someone purchase a December UY, for instance, and have '24 points?

That would mean they'd sell points for calendar years prior to the year the units open, no?

No, they would not be giving 2024 points for units that don’t open until 2025. If it was as early as Feb 2025, then all UYs are still getting 2025 points, and those who want to stay prior to their UY, would be allowed to borrow.

That is what happened with BPK. All got 2022 points for a June opening. If you had an Aug to Dec UY, you could borrow to stay prior to that UY starting.

People would be unwise to buy resale at Riviera, Disneyland Hotel or FTW Cabins unless they are long term planners.
Unless they are long term planners and extremely confident they will continue to be long term planners for many years. I think many DVC owners plan OK and then as their kids get older the number of wildcards increases dramatically.

Now that (I think) I understand @Sandisw explanation of opening year points, it’s very interesting to me (if Poly Tower is going to open this winter either way) if DIS would want to wait to open it until 1/1 (to avoid giving anyone 2024 points) or perhaps would prefer to open 12/31 or earlier so that they can allow some buyers to get better “incentives” through the magic of MB. 🤔

Last edited:
No, they would not be giving 2024 points for units that don’t open until 2025. If it was as early as Feb 2025, then all UYs are still getting 2025 points, and those who want to stay prior to their UY, would be allowed to borrow.

That is what happened with BPK. All got 2022 points for a June opening. If you had an Aug to Dec UY, you could borrow to stay prior to that UY starting.
First year's points aren't rigidly doled-out on a calendar year basis. DVC usually goes back about 6-8 months from the resort opening. For resorts like Big Pine Key and Disneyland Hotel which opened mid-year, the calendar year cutoff was pretty straightforward.

Riviera opened in December 2019. February and March Use Years did not receive their first points until 2020. April thru December did receive 2019 points. Many moons ago, the earliest buyers at Saratoga Springs were given the option of buying December 2003 points despite the resort not opening until May 2004. (This was a pretty big talking point back in the day because December SSR owners will actually get 51 years' of points, though they'll technically only have 2 months to use the last set before 1/31/2054. That came on the heels of BCV selling with the 2042 end date and only about 41 years of ownership.)

Given that resorts aren't available for all 12 months of most Use Years, it's a sensible way to try and balance. Some owners are technically getting points which start a few months before the resort even opens. The offset is others must wait until a few months after opening.

Last edited:

Unless they are long term planners and extremely confident they will continue to be long term planners for many years. I think many DVC owners plan OK and then as their kids get older the number of wildcards increases dramatically.
Then a few years after that, they aren't kids anymore and travel patterns change again. These are challenges all DVC owners face. Hopefully all buyers are considering the long term implications.

Specific to the restricted resorts, banking and borrowing will gain greater importance, as well as flexibility. Being unable to book a specific room for specific dates on short notice doesn't mean the points are forfeit. Most points could be rolled to a future Use Year. If I were working with resale Riviera points, I'd probably try to stay in a borrowed state for maximum flexibility. If I'm unsuccessful booking a 2024 trip by borrowing my 2025 points, they're still valid for 2025. Or could be banked to 2026.

Also depending on how resale prices differ, it's worth considering that the occasional loss of points can still make Riviera a better value than other alternatives.

Would I want my only DVC points to be a Riviera resale contract? No. Would I buy a 500-point Riviera resale? Heck no. But I think a seasoned DVC owner could pretty easily balance a modest Riviera resale with one or two other contracts that have greater flexibility.

First year's points aren't rigidly doled-out on a calendar year basis. DVC usually goes back about 6-8 months from the resort opening. For resorts like Big Pine Key and Disneyland Hotel which opened mid-year, the calendar year cutoff was pretty straightforward.

Riviera opened in December 2019. February and March Use Years did not receive their first points until 2020. April thru December did receive 2019 points. Many moons ago, the earliest buyers at Saratoga Springs were given the option of buying December 2003 points despite the resort not opening until May 2004. (This was a pretty big talking point back in the day because December SSR owners will actually get 51 years' of points, though they'll technically only have 2 months to use the last set before 1/31/2054. That came on the heels of BCV selling with the 2042 end date and only about 41 years of ownership.)

Given that resorts aren't available for all 12 months of most Use Years, it's a sensible way to try and balance. Some owners are technically getting points which start a few months before the resort even opens. The offset is others must wait until a few months after opening.

Thanks for the details. I thought RIv was only Feb UY that was left out?

But it’s good to know that technically they can give points with flexibility.

Then a few years after that, they aren't kids anymore and travel patterns change again. These are challenges all DVC owners face. Hopefully all buyers are considering the long term implications.
And then a grandkid or 2 comes along and now you have a little one to share WDW with again and it all comes full circle! Good times. But definitely requires some adjustments. With DVC you're definitely playing the long game. First world problems amirite?

I know everyone is a bit fatigued with the lack of information about the Tower and we really have exhausted the conversation and I agree, but these threads keep me occupied at work lol so…

What’s everyone thoughts that we’ll get some information about the tower by the time the next incentive cycle begins at the end of June?

I’m assuming DVD doesn’t necessarily plan new announcements or even start sales with the start of incentive cycles but they pretty much did with CFW, maybe they’ll keep that trend going? Maybe give us the schematics and building details along with pricing at the end of June and sales start at the end of summer/start of fall incentive cycle?

Or maybe it makes more sense to give us all the details during D23?

When is D23? Honestly with Universal announcing a new park, DVC should put some spring into good announcements.

Is it true that if Poly Tower was a new association then you would need to buy in person?

I know everyone is a bit fatigued with the lack of information about the Tower and we really have exhausted the conversation and I agree, but these threads keep me occupied at work lol so…

What’s everyone thoughts that we’ll get some information about the tower by the time the next incentive cycle begins at the end of June?

I’m assuming DVD doesn’t necessarily plan new announcements or even start sales with the start of incentive cycles but they pretty much did with CFW, maybe they’ll keep that trend going? Maybe give us the schematics and building details along with pricing at the end of June and sales start at the end of summer/start of fall incentive cycle?

Or maybe it makes more sense to give us all the details during D23?
I'd like them to provide us these details tomorrow because they probably can, but sadly I don't think it'll happen for awhile. My guess is info around association, room concept art, room splits, amenities, etc. coming out June, goes on sale August, bookings open September/October, and the tower officially opening just in time for Christmas.

The wait is killing me.

I'd like them to provide us these details tomorrow because they probably can, but sadly I don't think it'll happen for awhile. My guess is info around association, room concept art, room splits, amenities, etc. coming out June, goes on sale August, bookings open September/October, and the tower officially opening just in time for Christmas.

The wait is killing me.

To add, I think that will be the official timeline but I also bet people here who keep checking for documents are likely to find them before they officially provide it!

So, my hope is we get some more documents in May! The documents and declarations for CFW were end of December, with sales beginning Feb 1st!

The wait is killing me.
Literally the wait is nearly painful haha I wasn’t here for the lead up to RIV but I can’t imagine people cared as much as we all do about the Polynesian expansion, and I say that as a RIV owner and lover lol

I think you’re pretty spot on for your timeline, I guessed as much myself. Knowing DVD they’ll make us wait until the last day of June before giving us anything just to torture us all guessing that information will be released in June😅

Someone at Disney will have egg on their face if the announcement is a disappointment.

VDH had the tax that scared many away. CFW had high dues. What might have Disney so afraid to announce Poly tower details?

No clue. As I have said, this entire project has been done and treated a lot differenlty than most others. This project was announced over two years ago and there has been pretty much nothing put out by DVD about it.

Probably the simplest explanation for the lack of details is (1) that their internal construction timeline is pretty far out and it's been too early to announce much and (2) they are not hitting their sales targets with other DVC properties and do not want to cannibalize VDH and FW sales while Poly 2 is not even for sale

Probably the simplest explanation for the lack of details is (1) that their internal construction timeline is pretty far out and it's been too early to announce much and (2) they are not hitting their sales targets with other DVC properties and do not want to cannibalize VDH and FW sales while Poly 2 is not even for sale
I imagine that it has also been the subject of a great deal of internal debate, maybe even late into the process.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter