Let's talk exposure

Even resetting to the defaults does not mean it's not the settings. My guess based on what's posted would be that the ISO was set too high and it ended up being overexposed. But again, without seeing that data and given the fact that these images have been edited, I'm just stabbing in the dark.

So far, I've only noticed the problem when shooting with the 18-135, but I haven't shot enough with my other lenses to be 100% sure that it's a problem with the lens and not the camera itself.
I agree with Code on this..
this leads me to believe that it's a lens issue, spounds like it's not stopping down, if you are shooting in the sun on auto, most likely the camera is setting aperture at f8-f22, and shutter accordingly, if the lens is staying wide open, way to much light is getting in to the sensor

It could be a stuck aperture (I've had that happen on a poin-and-shoot). It could be a lot of things. The fact is, we only have anecdotal information at this point, we haven't seen any systematic testing to troubleshoot the problem, nor have we seen original images with EXIF data. We're flying blind and we're spinning our wheels (any other cliches?).

It could be a stuck aperture (I've had that happen on a poin-and-shoot). It could be a lot of things. The fact is, we only have anecdotal information at this point, we haven't seen any systematic testing to troubleshoot the problem, nor have we seen original images with EXIF data. We're flying blind and we're spinning our wheels (any other cliches?).

We're running around like chickens with our heads cut off over this can of worms he's opened.

Is your camera set to matrix metering? This will allow the camera to expose for the entire frame, not just the subject in focus. Have you checked your ISO? It could be that your ISO is not set to auto mode, or it is set too high.

I ran a suggestion up the flagpole, but no one saluted. Without the originals, we are up a creek without a paddle. Unitl we see them, we we are firing shots in the dark. :cool2:

LOL. Yeah, I know. I promise I'll (try) to get the info tonight.

if you want to test the lens do the following

set it on manual. set shutter at 1/60 then take a series of pictures of the same thing,same lighting ..indoors so you can control the lighting .... changing your aperture, going from wide open to stopped down all the way, if all the pics are the same, then the aperture is sticking open..

I'm only on my phone but ISO 200 and a shutter speed of 1/100 seems a bit high/slow for shooting in bright afternoon sun. I routinely get shutter speeds of 1/500 and faster when shooting in the middle of the day.

There is something about these that looks odd.... Like the lens is shaded or something. Has it done this in other situations?

The settings are definitely way too slow for that bright of a day. But you said it was on auto so the camera picked those... I'm scratching my head here. If it does it with another lens and in other shooting modes I'd suspect the meter.

I don't see anything set wrong in the EXIF (no exposure compensation, matrix metering, etc).. my money is still on a stuck/slow aperture, especially with the heavy & uneven vignetting you've got going on in the corners of a few of those shots. It's easy to check if this is the problem, check out my previous post and MICKEY88's.

I'm also putting Code's money on a stuck/slow aperture. :lmao:

Stupid question here - since I've never dealt with a stuck shutter - but wouldn't the camera still read the scene and choose the appropriate aperture and shutter speed for the given metering in Auto mode, and then when it goes to shoot, the aperture doesn't stop down appropriately? I figured with a stuck aperture, the daylight setting would read in the camera EXIF as something typical for daylight - at ISO200 something more akin to 1/1000 shutter and F8-10 aperture? The stuck aperture might actually stay open at F3.5 or so, and overexpose, but I figured the camera's settings would still think it chose F8. The EXIF I'm seeing for these shots is way off - by many stops. Very bright afternoon light at ISO200, 1/100 shutter, and F5.6?! Ouch!

Matrix/pattern metering should have gotten that much better - anyone with experience with stuck apertures know if the camera's EXIF would show the aperture that was stuck when the shot was taken, or if it would show the intended aperture the camera tried to choose? If the second scenario is the case, it would seem to be something off in the camera's metering or sensor.

But the EXIF data shows different apertures being used that were really, in combination with the slower shutter speeds, too wide to get the exposure that time of day. And I've had a stuck aperture on my DSLR and got a lens error, not an over exposed shot.

Not trying to be argumentative, but it does not add up to that from what I see.

Hmm.. I may not have thought this through. Going to have to take back what I said and agree with Danielle and Justin, the meter got those scenes way wrong, a stuck aperture wouldn't be causing that.

And I've had a stuck aperture on my DSLR and got a lens error, not an over exposed shot.

If only 1 blade is sticking but the aperture still moves, or if it isn't closing as fast as it should so it's not closed to the proper size when the shutter opens, that can lead to overexposure. But like I said, I'm wrong in this case, that wouldn't cause such bad metering.

Ok I'm missing something people keep saying the settings are off for such a bright day, was it a really bright day or do the pics just appear that way because of a stuck wide open aperture...

I bought a 50mm 1.7 minolta lens off of craigslist 2 years ago, I actually got 2 7000 maxxums plus the lens for 50 bucks, so I took the stuff and left, got back to my office, popped the lens on one of my A700s and started taking pics, the pics were all over exposed, I switched to full manual and the pics were still overexposed no matter what aperture setting I used..

so at least in my case a lens error did not occur

what if the aperture is sticking and the exif is actually captured at the moment of exposure so it's showing the lens open more than the meter would have chosen

Solving this is better than watching an episode of CSI. Instead of body parts you get camera parts!

All that being said, I'm sorry to hear of your camera troubles. The one good thing about all this is that your situation will help others, should they experience it, down the road.

Good luck!
Marlton Mom

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter