"limited" release of "unlimited" DS pins ??

Mainepinpal

Mouseketeer
If each Disney Store was only given 24 pins for each of the 8 new pins released today, and the stores's pins are not going to be re-stocked, isn't this a "limited" pin? (I know some posts report that stores were given 50 pins, but that is not what I am trying to get at) Were there more than 24 (or 50) X the number of Disney Stores of each pin made? If so, where are they, and why weren't they available for purchase? What are they going to do with them? Stock CM lanyards at the Parks? If Disney wanted to make pin collecting more available to people across the country, then why "limit" the distribution of what has been advertised as an "unlimited" pin?
Maybe it is a question of semantics, but if a limited number of pins are available for purchase, then why aren't the pins considered "LE's"?
I'm confused, and not very experienced in pin collecting at "events" and stuff like that. Can anyone enlighten me?
Penny

I think they are covering themselves. I've read a few reports where a couple people bought all of the #1 pin. If the outrage over that is widespread enough I think Disney will rerelease the pin, the same way they did with the Davy Crockett error and #1 pin. If they called it LE now, they couldn't rerelease without causing another huge uproar by some people. By calling it "unlimited" they are free to rerelease if the market demands it, but the "non-restocking" policy indicates that Disney didn't think it would be necessary.

Or the cynical view is that they purposely said "no restocking" so that people would be out in force the first day and they are guaranting most stores sell-out. Then they can bring out more pins "due to popular demand" and sell more pins. If they said there would be "restocking" I don't think the resellers would go into the stores and buy all the pins, the sales would be lower over all.

Initially, the local store's CM's (here) called this an LE. But I think that was because it has been reported (so far) they will not be re-stocked.
Doesn't TDL kinda work the same way. I know on some the calendar pins, they have stickers that read Special Edition, or something like that. I think it's the same. Not set up as an LE, but only so many made and not re-plenished.
Just pure guess, but I think it's only the first week's pins that were selling wild.
I am sure they all will sell well, but probably not the mad house some experienced today.
The #1 pin is selling for $17 on up already on Ebay! :rolleyes:

Here's my take...
Disney is testing the waters.
they know the pin popularity in it's park forms.

But they got burned with a lot of left-overs from the millenium pins.

the rumor is.. your local Disney store must do well not only
on pin sales, but overall sales before pins will be restocked.
We must also keep in mind the due to the events of September
11th. Many stores were behind in shipments.

there could be more week #1 pins in transit.
I'd say check back.

Happy Hunting.
Kathy

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter