"Live" from HH

WebmasterDoc

Administrator
Administrator
We arrived at HH last Friday and enjoyed an evening in a Studio. Our family was arriving the next day and the front desk told us we had a studio under the GV we would be moving the next day. :teeth: ... and the GV was unoccupied on Friday night, so we could move in immediately on Saturday. In addition, our studio was also ready at arrival.

Everything was fine in both the Studio and GV. We were in Building 19.

The resort was really busy and there was a nice compliment of activities available. We had 5 grandchildren with us - two 7 year olds, a 5 year old, 4 year old and 2 year old. The older three really enjoyed Kid's Night Out - with pizza and a trip to see WALL-E. They all enjoyed the campfire and we went on the Marsh Tour as a family. It was a little warm and humid, but very interesting learning about the ecology of the Broad Creek Marsh. Gwynneth was the naturalist offering the tour.

The older 4 kids went to Junior Dinosaurs and oldest 2 enjoyed Messy Science (they made "slime" and Ice Cream).

The weather has been great - low-mid 80's most of the week with scattered showers.

We got to meet a new CM at the resort - known to many here on the DIS as "Disneyaholic". When you are at HH, be sure to stop in at the Mercantile and say "Hi" to Dottie. Her son Harry is one of the lifeguards. The resort has a wonderful staff.

One little known opportunity at HH is the "Palmetto Dunes Buggy". The DVC resort does have a shuttle which takes guests between the resort to the Beach House from 10:00am until 5:00pm - but if you want to stay at the Beach later than 5, you can call the resort (there is a free phone at the Beach House - just dial "1") and they will schedule the Dunes Buggy to come and pick you up. It is a free service (paid for by the Palmetto Dunes merchants). Of course, tipping is always appreciated by the drivers. They operate for all areas of Palmetto Dunes, including going to the mall, the grocery store, Giuseppi's Pizza, Alexanders and all of tghe residential areas within the plantation. It serves all of the condos, resorts and shopping areas with the exception of Marriott who has opted not to participate. The service runs from April thru October. It's been nice not to have sand in the car! :)

The fireworks were great on Tuesday evening - we all enjoyed the All American BarbeQue followed by the pool games and night slide party. The Shannon Tanner concert across from the resort at Shelter Cove was fun as always.

We leave tomorrow morning for our 12 hour trip home. :(

Thanks for posting, Doc. Boy, did I love my first trip to HH in May. I know you are a HH expert. Have you ever seen anyone using a golf cart to get around the resort? I want DH to come to HH next time, but he can't do steps, so we will need to stay in the lodge area. He has a hard time walking distances and a golf cart would be perfect for getting around the resort and over to the marina area. I tried Googling for a cart rental, but didn't really have any luck.

Thanks for posting, Doc. Boy, did I love my first trip to HH in May. I know you are a HH expert. Have you ever seen anyone using a golf cart to get around the resort? I want DH to come to HH next time, but he can't do steps, so we will need to stay in the lodge area. He has a hard time walking distances and a golf cart would be perfect for getting around the resort and over to the marina area. I tried Googling for a cart rental, but didn't really have any luck.

No, I've never seen anyone use a cart, but I'm sure you can find someplace to rent one. Recharging might be an issue though.

I'd request a villa in Building 11 or 12 so you'd have elevator access. None of the other buildings have elevators.

Enjoy! :)

I'll be checking in on 8/3 and I can't wait!!! My 2 1/2 yo nephew will be with us - what night and at what time are the Shannon Tanner concerts??

Janis

I'll be checking in on 8/3 and I can't wait!!! My 2 1/2 yo nephew will be with us - what night and at what time are the Shannon Tanner concerts??

Janis

Shannon Tanner performs Monday - Friday at 6:30pm and 8:00pm at the band shell at Shelter Cove. He also offers a cruise on Thursday mornings on the Holiday (it's a large Dolphin watch boat).

Have a great trip! :)

I have a silly question, in the two bedroom units at HH what size are the coffee makers? Are they the small ones or more normal 10 to 12 cup ones?

I have a silly question, in the two bedroom units at HH what size are the coffee makers? Are they the small ones or more normal 10 to 12 cup ones?
They are the large ones.

Thanks for sharing Rob! I hope to make a HH vacation one day myself! The grandkiddies must be keeping you all busy lol! :)

Shannon Tanner performs Monday - Friday at 6:30pm and 8:00pm at the band shell at Shelter Cove. He also offers a cruise on Thursday mornings on the Holiday (it's a large Dolphin watch boat).

Have a great trip! :)

Thanks for the info. I remember my DS loved Shannon Tanner. It's been a couple of years since we have been to HH and we can't wait.

Is Shadow still around??

Janis

Thanks for the info. I remember my DS loved Shannon Tanner. It's been a couple of years since we have been to HH and we can't wait.

Is Shadow still around??

Janis

We also enjoy seeing Gregg Russell over at HarbourTown as well...

WebmasterDoc,

How far is the nearest major airport to
HHI and did you rent or did Disney have a
shuttle like at WDW?:confused3

Thanks!

Sounds like a great time - thanks for reporting! We will be there in 2 weeks and can't wait!!:banana:

HHI has a small airport that has a few pretty expensive flights. Most folks fly into Savannah (about an hour drive) or into Charleston (about a 2 -2½ hour drive). Disney does not provide any airport shuttle service. A car on HHI is almost a must, so you will want to rent one when you land at the airport. You could maybe get by without a car but you would really be limiting your ability to see and do things.

WebmasterDoc,

How far is the nearest major airport to
HHI and did you rent or did Disney have a
shuttle like at WDW?:confused3

Thanks!

Jean has done a great job responding.

The HHI airport does not serve very many other airports - most flights come from Charleston or Savannah and the resort does not provide any transportation service (like DME at WDW). Personal transportation is a must, IMO - so if you fly, a rental would be a wise move. As noted, the trip from Savannah is 45 minutes to an hour and Charleston is further.

The resort does provide a shuttle service to and from the Beach House (about a mile each way), but otherwise the resort does not provide any transportation except for some of it's recreational activities.

Thanks so much for the info!! We'll be arriving exactly one week from today!:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: Looking forward to our 1st trip- hope the weather holds out for us...

Ellen

We're hoping to get in at Hilton Head for spring break 2009, so I'm really enjoying reading your report and all the "ins and outs" of being there - thx for the tip about Palmetto Dunes Buggy - and LOL about not having sand in the car! I'm sure we'll take advantage of the service at least once as we like to stay later at the beach.

Too bad they didn't let you check into the GV for studio price since it was unoccupied on Friday night and you were moving right in on Saturday morning!

Looking fwd to the rest of your trip report - and would love to see some pics, especially of the inside of the GV.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter