Live Trip Report from AKV (with pics)

Buckeye Fan

DIS Veteran
Happy Good Friday, everyone!!! We started early this am...but we're here! :cloud9:

We left Columbus this morning at 8:00, which meant we had to be at the airport around 6:15. :eek: That seemed like a good idea when I booked the flight! When we left, the weather was pretty crappy. Boy, what a difference a 2 hour flight south makes! Orlando is absolutely beautiful. It is sunny, without a cloud in the sky.

We landed around 10:10, and caught the Magical Express. Boy were the check-in lines crowded at the airport. I waited in line about 15 minutes for ME, and then another 15 minutes for a bus. After that, we were on our way to the World! The ME bus stopped at Coronado Springs before going to AK. The bus emptied at CS! There was only one other couple and us going to AK.

We got to AK around 11:15, and went to the "on-line" check-in location. Everything was perfect, but I will qualify that I e-mailed MS prior to arriving. I wanted to make sure they linked our reservation (so we wouldn't have to check out, check back in), and that our request (savanna view) was noted on the reservation. Well...someone must have sprinkled some extra pixie dust on us, because our room is amazing! We couldn't get into it until after 3:00, but the location couldn't be better. We're in a 1-BR value in the Ostrich Trail section, room number 5116. It is AWESOME!!!

To blow some time (since we didn't have our suitcases), we went back to CS and ate at Pepper Market. For the first time ever, we were really disappointed. We all love PM. Food was good, but prices have changed pretty significantly. For lunch, we got 2 cheese quesadillas, nachos, baked pasta and 2 drinks. Our bill was over $70! :sad2: I know...it's Dis. What do you expect? But...there are plenty of places we could have eaten for $70!!!

After CS, we came back to the hotel. We waited for about an hour, and our room was ready! All I can say is I think DH and DS have found their FAVORITE DVC. Now those of you who know me know that I've never met a DVC I didn't like. So of course, I think it's wonderful and now want to buy points! :laughing: But, DH and DS really do love it. It reminds me a lot of VWL, with animals! I have to admit, I LOVE animals, but it just didn't seem that big of a deal. Well...it's really cool. Today, we saw a giraffe, two ostriches, a kudu and an impala! For those of you contemplating on whether the points are worth it or not for a savanna view, it is!

As for the value room, I don't notice a difference in space in the living area (we have a 1-BR), but the master bedroom is small. You can see in the pics below that the armoire, TV stand and desk are right up against each other. That's about the width of the room. You can barely shut the door without it hitting the bed, but it's not bad. I can see why they limit the room to 4. Any more than that would be too close for comfort. The one thing nice about the value rooms (or at least this one), is that they all used to be hotel rooms and have their own balconies. So, we actually have two balconies (the removed the divider between them). It's still narrow, but it's long.

Since we're beat from getting up so early this morning, we went to the pool, and then came back to the room for dinner. We had Garden Grocer (LOVE THEM) deliver groceries, and everything was on time and exactly as we ordered. This is the third time we've used them, and each time the order is accurate.

Tomorrow, I think we're going to Typhoon Lagoon. The bus driver told us today that both TL and BB reached capacity. I'm hoping after this weekend things thin out a little bit. We don't have reservations for dinner, so we probably will end up at either DTD or BW after the water park. Since spring break is so crowded, here's what we have planned (at least as I know it today):
* Water park and dinner at ESPN Zone (probably)
* Dinner at SSR Turf Club for Easter dinner
* MK on Monday - lunch at Cindy's Royal Table and dinner at the Plaza
* Boma on Tuesday (maybe Epcot)
* DHS and Mama Rosa's on TH
* Trail's End on Thursday (probably spend the last day enjoying the resort)
* Return home on Friday

Lastly, for those of you thinking of traveling during Easter, there are several Easter activities at AKV. They handed me a sheet at check-in that includes making an Easter bunny magnet, painting ostrich eggs ($30), meet and greet with Mickey and Minnie, Easter face painting and tattoos, arts and crafts, and a coloring contest. AKV also has different kids' activities (not associated with Easter - or at least I don't think) where you can earn up to 5 beads for activities for a small keepsake.

I will take pics and keep you guys posted, as I LOVE live trip reports. It tides me over, and makes me feel like I'm there! I hope you guys enjoy the pictures, and please feel free to ask any questions.

Wow thanks for the TR, I am glad that you are having wonderful time thus far. Your TR will have to tide me over for the next 29 days.

Thanks for keeping us updated with your TR. Looking forward to reading more and seeing pictures!! Enjoy!!

AKV Lobby

AKV09Trip003.jpg

AKV09Trip007.jpg

AKV09Trip008.jpg

AKV09Trip009.jpg

Room - 1 BR Value on Ostrich Trail

AKV09Trip041.jpg

AKV09Trip092.jpg

AKV09Trip042.jpg

AKV09Trip088.jpg

AKV09Trip049.jpg

AKV09Trip087.jpg

AKV09Trip056.jpg

AKV09Trip052.jpg

AKV09Trip051.jpg

AKV09Trip036.jpg

Balcony and Room View

AKV09Trip062.jpg

AKV09Trip065.jpg

Our Friends

AKV09Trip155.jpg

AKV09Trip180.jpg

I believe this is Kidani (view from our room)

AKV09Trip067.jpg

Pool

AKV09Trip131.jpg

Wow awesome pics :thumbsup2

Hope you & your family have a great trip and looking forward to hearing more :goodvibes

Enjoy !
~Laura

Oh, those pics make me miss "home". Have a great trip and thanks for the update!:goodvibes

Those are great photos!! :worship: Thank you so much for posting them.

Makes me think maybe I should split my upcoming trip and see if I could get my last 3 nights at AKV. I should have already known to do that - I have stayed at AKV before and love it. BUT, I was able to get a BCV studio for 10 nights in early June and really don't relish the thought of packing and re-packing. What to do, what to do. ;)

Great report so far!! Nice pics too. I will be curious to see what you think of the bus system, since you don't have a car with you. Sounds like your room is awesome...looking forward to more of your report!:goodvibes

Thanks for the wonderful photo's and report. It makes me miss my home even more. It is great that you got a savannah view. I just love those views. It is worth it! We enjoy having our breakfast on the balcony watching the animals. What a peaceful way to start out the day.

Have fun, and I hope the crowds go away after Sunday!

Cyndi

Fantastic pictures!! Thanks for sharing them!! My daughter, son in law and grandsons are at SSR right now and I join them tuesday. Happy easter, have fun tomorrow!

... We're in a 1-BR value in the Ostrich Trail section, room number 5116. It is AWESOME!!! ...

When we stayed at AKL a few years ago we were in room 5115 on the Ostrich Trail, I think it's across the hall from you. It is an awful room with one of the tall/solid wall balconies. I believe they left it as a standard AKL room, not converted to DVC (rightfully so). Your room however looks beautiful with a nice, long, open balcony! :)

So did the past 4 days fly by?! :goodvibes
Have a wonderful trip!! :wizard:

Thank you for posting pictures of the value 1bedroom, we have a value 2bedroom for August. I have stayed in the value studio, and I wondered how the 1 bedroom was. It does look smaller then the 2 bedroom we had last May, but it will do just fine. I love saving the points.

...Your TR will have to tide me over for the next 29 days.
It will be here before you know it! :goodvibes

Great report so far!! Nice pics too. I will be curious to see what you think of the bus system, since you don't have a car with you. Sounds like your room is awesome...looking forward to more of your report!:goodvibes
Thanks for the kind words, and the bus system (everywhere) is running like crazy! I'm not sure if it's because it's Easter week, but we hopped from here to AK and over to CS, and CS to BB and back to AKV. In those 4 transfers, we waited no more than 10 minutes. :thumbsup2

Thanks for the wonderful photo's and report. It makes me miss my home even more. It is great that you got a savannah view. I just love those views. It is worth it! We enjoy having our breakfast on the balcony watching the animals. What a peaceful way to start out the day.

Have fun, and I hope the crowds go away after Sunday!

Cyndi
It's a beautiful resort, and you guys should be very proud to call it home! Thank you for sharing. :hug: And, yes. I hope the crowds die down after Sunday, too!

Fantastic pictures!! Thanks for sharing them!! My daughter, son in law and grandsons are at SSR right now and I join them tuesday. Happy easter, have fun tomorrow!
Hope you guys have a wonderful trip as well! I hope they enjoy their stay at SSR. It's amazing to me how there can be a million people here at WDW, and SSR and OKW still feel private (at least till you head to the pools!).

Great pics? Any chance you could take a walk around Kidani and get pics of the pool?
I will try! I've been curious about the pool, too, so thanks for reminding me! I'm just not sure you can get back there. :confused3

Wished you all were here! I love sharing with you, as I know you love WDW as much as I do! :grouphug:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter