• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

long walk at Fort Wilderness?

wheelermom

Earning My Ears
We are doing a no-park day of other activities on our upcoming trip and DD would like to go to the campgrounds for the smores and movie. I think we'd enjoy it, but I have never been in the campgrounds and I'm wondering: how far from the boat launch to the area where the movies and campfire are located? Also, is there a road/sidewalk? I am in a wheelchair. Grass and gravel are not my friends!

Thanks,
Angela

Hi Angela, it is quite a distance from the marina to the movie area, but there is a bus that will take you there. When you get off of the boat, just head straight out past the store and Pioneer Hall on to the bus stop. There are 3 bus routes. Take the Outpost Orange bus and let the driver know you are heading to the campfire. I think you get off at the 600 loop and there is a sidewalk that goes straight to the movie area. The area itself is not paved, but well worn and packed, you should have no problem.

Althought the campground is "wilderness" there are sidewalks everywhere. Although the campsites are not the most wheelchair friendly, the campground itself is.

I recommend you go into the meadows trading post store. They have a few unique souvenirs and the theming is awesome. There is also a trading post at the settlement near the marina. For a quick bite, try trail's end buffet, it is the best deal on property.

Have a great trip!

Sandra is right about the bus, the walk is about 1/2 mile so the Orange Outpost bus is your best bet(Orange Settlement to get back to the dock). The only change I would make is to get off at the 900 loop, it is also the stop for Meadows Trading post. The distance to the show from there is just a bit longer but the path is paved all the way to the show, the entrance at the 600/800 loop is mulched so not all that wheelchair friendly. Keep in mind that the campfire area is covered in mulch or pea gravel(I never really paid that much attention so I'm not sure which) so you may need help.

We did the campfire just fine in a wheelchair, can't rememeber if it was paved in areas or not sorry.

Here are some pics I hope help

This is the path from behind the Meadows Trading post
FortWilderness1.jpg

Some pics of the campfire area
FortWilderness2.jpg

FortWilderness3.jpg

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter