Looks Like COVID Will Mess With My Christmas

I personally won’t take Paxlovid again, as, in 2022, with my first time getting Covid, I got a rebound case that was way worse than the first episode. I forget the percentage, but chances are low for that to happen, so most will probably fine if they take it. I took Zicam at the outset this time. It may have helped a little.

Do you think Zicam really works anymore? Inquiring minds want to know! When Zicam first came out (the swabs) I was a believer. Used it anytime a cold was coming on and, honestly, it stopped it in its tracks. First time in my life that I ever had something like that happen. Then, apparently, everyone was shoving the Zicam swabs too far up the nose and the zinc was causing permanent loss of sense of smell. They pulled the swabs from the market, changed the formulation and it was LONG time before I saw the swabs again but was told they no longer contain the zinc. They now have a homeopathic ingredient in them that doesn't have any proven track record like the zinc did.

Which formulation do you take? I'm always looking for that old product!!

Sadly not everyone just recovers from COVID. Long COVID is a real thing but hopefully some new treatments will help out. I don't personally know anyone who had a severe case of it, but there is someone I follow on social media/youtube, called "The Physics Girl" and she's been basically completely bed-ridden for several months with almost no ability to move or get around on her own :(

FWIW I always get the latest vaccine and have only had COVID once in August of 2022 and I was only sick for about 2 days with it. Somehow, despite being overweight and not the healthiest eater, etc. I am very rarely hit by major illnesses. I only had the flu once in 2019 and that was also something I got over in 2 days (and I had never had a flu shot before then). Super lucky somehow.

Exactly. My dear friend is on her 43rd battle with infection/sepsis since she originally got Covid in early 2021. She is in a study at a university for long covid, hoping to find "the cure".

A few other people I know have lingering affects - from 2020 on. One person has developed a form of narcolepsy...terrifying. Others have months-long coughs, joint issues, can't walk up stairs without stopping, etc.

Covid is FAR from a cold or flu. It can do SO much internal damage, no matter how mild your case is.

Stay safe and well, all..

Hubby had COVID at Thanksgiving, so we stayed home from the traditional get-together at his parents' home. I didn't get it from him this time - last time he brought it into the house he gave it to daughter, who gave it to me. It stinks to miss a family get-together, as his mom is struggling with dementia, but we just didn't want to add COVID to the stress!

Watch out for the flu as well. Everyone in my household had it all last week, and two nights ago my four-year-old Godson (who of course lives with us) was hospitalized.

As I was was writing this post I got a text from my aunt saying he was being discharged this afternoon! What a relief. Influenza in children is no joke.

Watch out for the flu as well. Everyone in my household had it all last week, and two nights ago my four-year-old Godson (who of course lives with us) was hospitalized.

As I was was writing this post I got a text from my aunt saying he was being discharged this afternoon! What a relief. Influenza in children is no joke.
Sorry to hear that. I just have to ask: did you all do flu shots. I've only recently come into the world of getting a flu shot and I often wonder how effective they are. We never really get an good data on that!

Sorry to hear that. I just have to ask: did you all do flu shots. I've only recently come into the world of getting a flu shot and I often wonder how effective they are. We never really get an good data on that!
Everyone in my house had flu shots, yep. We all started feeling ill last Friday and assumed it was Covid, tested for that on multiple days and was always negative. When my Godson went into the hospital, they tested him and he was positive for Influenza, so now we know what it is. Today is the first day I feel relatively normal, although I'm still coughing.

Everyone in my house had flu shots, yep. We all started feeling ill last Friday and assumed it was Covid, tested for that on multiple days and was always negative. When my Godson went into the hospital, they tested him and he was positive for Influenza, so now we know what it is. Today is the first day I feel relatively normal, although I'm still coughing.
Well darn. I was hoping they'd work a little better. I know I know--it could have been worse without the vaccine.

Well darn. I was hoping they'd work a little better. I know I know--it could have been worse without the vaccine.
There are different strains of the flu and they update the vaccine every year based on which one they think will be more dominant. Sometimes you get unlucky and catch the other strain.

My kids and I haven’t been able to get our 4th Covid boosters yet because of illnesses , travel, etc. The last Covid shot took DS16 down for a few days. We have gotten our flu shots though because we haven’t had bad side effects with them.

Guess who has the flu? Me and my sister flies in tomorrow. I’m quarantined in my bedroom. The doctor prescribed Tamiflu so 🤞🏻 I’ll be well enough on Christmas Day.

This bout hasn’t been too bad. I had no idea I even had it until my doctor’s rapid test came back positive. I thought I had a nasty sinus infection.

Sorry to hear that. I just have to ask: did you all do flu shots. I've only recently come into the world of getting a flu shot and I often wonder how effective they are. We never really get a good data on that!
There‘s actually a lot of data on flu shot effectiveness, although it’s retrospective of course. There’s a report for every flu season.
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/vaccines-work/vaccineeffect.htm

My kids and I haven’t been able to get our 4th Covid boosters yet because of illnesses , travel, etc. The last Covid shot took DS16 down for a few days. We have gotten our flu shots though because we haven’t had bad side effects with them.

Guess who has the flu? Me and my sister flies in tomorrow. I’m quarantined in my bedroom. The doctor prescribed Tamiflu so 🤞🏻 I’ll be well enough on Christmas Day.

This bout hasn’t been too bad. I had no idea I even had it until my doctor’s rapid test came back positive. I thought I had a nasty sinus infection.

I've only had the flu once, 13 years ago and it was not fun. But I did take tamiflu and it knocked it down in a couple of days. I think you'll be good to go by Christmas Day.

We too dealt with Covid for the first time ever around Thanksgiving despite being vaxxed to the hilt with all our Covid boosters, flu shot and RSV as well. DH got it first on the night before his birthday (Nov. 20) and then DS and then me. DS and I both took Paxlovid but he had the dreaded mouth problems while I was up and getting around after three days. Since DH couldn't take Paxlovid (bad interactions with his other meds) he was given something else which worked very well. We ended up celebrating Thanksgiving several days late but we were all happy to be well enough to celebrate. :)

I had bunion surgery last week and they made a point to be sure that I was well past Covid. The anesthesiologist did an extra thorough review of my records before okaying my surgery.

Seems like more people around me are getting Covid lately. One of our friends has had it 3 times and her husband twice despite all vaxxes.

I’m day 8 feeling mostly better but still getting a faint positive when I tested this morning. Will test again tomorrow as I need a negative to return to work tomorrow.
Good to hear. My daughter is now on Day 8 (I'm never really sure how to count the days but I'm counting her first day of symptoms as Day 1). Anyway, she got a negative yesterday and a negative today. She's still not coming down for Chrismas today because no one is sure how reliable the tests are since they missed it the first 3 times. Tomorrow we'll meet her at an outdoor mall and do some shopping and then maybe going to an indoor dessert/coffee place.

We *think* she'll definitely be good for tomorrow but I honestly don't really know when it's good.

Good to hear. My daughter is now on Day 8 (I'm never really sure how to count the days but I'm counting her first day of symptoms as Day 1). Anyway, she got a negative yesterday and a negative today. She's still not coming down for Chrismas today because no one is sure how reliable the tests are since they missed it the first 3 times. Tomorrow we'll meet her at an outdoor mall and do some shopping and then maybe going to an indoor dessert/coffee place.

We *think* she'll definitely be good for tomorrow but I honestly don't really know when it's good.

The first day of symptoms is day zero, so she’s day 7. Unfortunately tests can be + for weeks & rarely even months, even after symptoms are gone. If her symptoms are improved, recommendations are still isolation til day 5, then masking til day 10.

The first day of symptoms is day zero, so she’s day 7. Unfortunately tests can be + for weeks & rarely even months, even after symptoms are gone. If her symptoms are improved, recommendations are still isolation til day 5, then masking til day 10.
I’ve seen it counted as day 1 being first day of symptoms as well. But then saying masking through day 10, no mask day 11. If you count first day of symptoms as day zero then day 10 you no longer have to mask. So regardless first 5 days is isolation. Day 6-10 is masking.

I’m counting the day I tested as day 1 since it was late in the day that I first noticed a sore throat. I’ve also isolated the entire time. Since yesterday was the first day I felt well enough to do anything anyway.

She's already testing negative since yesterday (Day 6?). I know when I had it, I was positive for about 13 days.

She's already testing negative since yesterday (Day 6?). I know when I had it, I was positive for about 13 days.
Ugh! So strange how some seem to test negative so quickly while other seems to take awhile to get the negative. Thank goodness for the free Covid tests. I’ll be using at least three more. One tomorrow. One Thursday. And another on Saturday before getting together for Christmas. I’ll also have my daughter that lives with me test on Saturday.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter