Lovers of SSR please help me

lindaanddarren

Earning My Ears
I've booked SSR for our October trip however, i keep reading threads "SSR v OKW" & I'm getting swayed from one resort then to the other :confused3:confused3 . So thought all the SSR lovers could remind me of the pros for staying here ( oh, maybe some cons might be good too lol) I'd originally booked here as we are going with my 14yr old stepson who spends his life on his Xbox & thought that if he was having withdrawals from gaming then disney quest is close by .Any opinions/suggestions welcome.:thumbsup2

We stay at both places often and prefer SSR, especially since the rooms have had a freshening up. We do love the larger rooms at OKW, but nearly all buildings do not have elevators where every building at SSR has elevators. There are many similarities between the two, but SSR has some nice pools and carpeted floors. OKW was remodeled with vinyl planks a few years ago and tend to be a little too echo-ey for our liking. Even so, the larger rooms can make up for that.

We like SSR better. We prefer the setting. OKW is nice for bigger rooms. As mentioned before, after long park day the idea of going up 3 flights of steps feel like forever!

I haven't stayed at OKW - SSR is our home. So, having said that...Disney Quest is a short boat ride or walk. DTD with Splittsville, guy stores, and girl watching - same story.

SSR itself has a good arcade and Community Hall with games and movies. The Turf Club has a pool table and easy access to Artist's Palette. Plus there is High Springs and Paddock pools plus poolside movies. While thie might seem "lame" as a single kid typically there are other kids about.

SSR truly is a great resort for all ages.

The spa should be reopened by then, no? The SSR spa is wonderful.

We have always LOVED OKW and had interest in SSR. But, on our last trip we did a last minute extension of our trip and could only get SSR. It was awesome! We are choosing it over OKW this year. The rooms were great. The location is awesome, etc.... We were just really impressed!

Thanks for all your replies , I was on the verge of changing resorts however seems like this is the resort for us.
now thats sorted can you recommend which area to request. Although Dtd is one of the main reason for staying at SSR it's more important that when on resort we are near the facilities (near pools, hot tub, arcade, food & drinking stations etc)
Thanks again for all your help :):)

Thanks for all your replies , I was on the verge of changing resorts however seems like this is the resort for us.
now thats sorted can you recommend which area to request. Although Dtd is one of the main reason for staying at SSR it's more important that when on resort we are near the facilities (near pools, hot tub, arcade, food & drinking stations etc)

I would request The Springs then.

The Paddocks is a great location. the Paddock pool has a grill and drinks station and there is a bus stop near by. But as OP said if you want to be near arcade then The Springs is nice. But I personally prefer The Paddock. SSR is a wonderful resort you will love it I am sure! We do. In fact until a recent stay at AKV which blew us away we wouldn't stay anywhere else! Paula

Food Choices are the big difference, OKW has very limited options, while SRR has a very nice food court. Olivia's is great for breakfast but it is not fast and not really easy for lunch either. Counter service at OKW is marginal at best. Both resorts have great eye appeal. SSR has elevators, so if you are on floor 3 they come in handy at the end of the day.

Points are lower at OKW so that may play into your choice. Room are also larger at OKW. We hate OKW bedding, we love SSR bedding.

Hope this helps.

Tom:yay:

I think building 15 is where we request. It's the one near the Paddock Grill. The pool in that area is very nice & there's a children's splash area that's awesome! The paddock grill has a nice selection for B L & D. If you want an alcoholic beverage there is that option as well. As a previous poster said, the food choices at SSR are very nice. We've stayed here twice & enjoyed it both times. :)

I think building 15 is where we request. It's the one near the Paddock Grill. The pool in that area is very nice & there's a children's splash area that's awesome! The paddock grill has a nice selection for B L & D. If you want an alcoholic beverage there is that option as well. As a previous poster said, the food choices at SSR are very nice. We've stayed here twice & enjoyed it both times. :)

The buildings are not numbered at SSR.

Check out FAQ #4 in this post for some pros and cons of each section. It should be a good tool in determining which section is best for your family's preferences.

Thanks so much for all the advice, think we are going to try the springs, this area looks like we are central to everything ..is there any location/ villa number we should request . :)

We just did a tour of SSR last month and DH noticed that they have X-Box, Wii, etc set up in the Community Hall. I just double checked the Disney Site to confirm.

Paula Sedley-Burke said:
The Paddocks is a great location. the Paddock pool has a grill and drinks station and there is a bus stop near by. But as OP said if you want to be near arcade then The Springs is nice. But I personally prefer The Paddock. SSR is a wonderful resort you will love it I am sure! We do. In fact until a recent stay at AKV which blew us away we wouldn't stay anywhere else! Paula

We are currently staying st The Paddock. Great location, very peaceful but pool and QS very convenient as is bus stop.

Wouldn't want to stay at The Springs as the buses have always been full by then! Standing room only.

We are currently staying st The Paddock. Great location, very peaceful but pool and QS very convenient as is bus stop.

Wouldn't want to stay at The Springs as the buses have always been full by then! Standing room only.

Yes we found that. We request The Paddock because of this! As it been refurbed? Tia

If we stayed in the paddock area is is feasible to walk to the bus stop whee you are first on? Our other thought was to get taxis to the parks is this feasible & has anyone any idea on how much a cab would be?
Thanks again for all your help:):thumbsup2:)g

If we stayed in the paddock area is is feasible to walk to the bus stop whee you are first on? Our other thought was to get taxis to the parks is this feasible & has anyone any idea on how much a cab would be?
It's feasible, but not really necessary. The buses are most crowded during the "rush hour" around park opening and closing times. They aren't bad at other times of day. If you're nervous about the buses being standing-room-only or at capacity by the time they reach the Springs, the Grandstand bus stop (1st stop on the theme park route) is about a 10-15 minute walk from the Springs. Grandstand is also a good location for a room request.

We stopped staying at The Springs for this reason but I am disabled and use a ECV or sometimes wheelchair. We found sometimes we would wait ages for a non full bus to get my scooter/wheelchair on. Now we stay at The Paddock or The Grandstand. As OP said Grandstand is best for bus stop. The Paddock has a lovely pool and grill. So they are both good choices imao.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter