Low salt diet = can’t drink the water or ice on the ship. What to do?

Tink113

DIS Veteran
My 93 year old grandmother will be cruising with us. She needs to stick to low salt. I know the water on the ship is processed with salt so that won’t work for her.

Bringing bottled water is no problem but what do we do about ice? The ice is made with the same salted water right?

We found the food on cruises to be extremely salty as well compared to food on land. Please be sure you list this as a dietary requirement with the ship. I assume yes on the ice, it would be made with the same water as available for drinking on the ship. The water and the ice do not taste salty, and people have said it's normal water after processing, but then others say their ankles swell on cruises like crazy - though I suspect that's the salt in the food, the prevalence of alcohol, and being on your feet more than when you're at home.

I'm not highly knowledgeable about the process, but I thought the ship uses reverse osmosis which desalinates the water as well?

But if that is still not a viable option for her, you can carry-on or buy onboard bottled water for her to drink.

I'd pay close attention to the food and make sure your reservation is flagged for the low salt diet.

My 93 year old grandmother will be cruising with us. She needs to stick to low salt. I know the water on the ship is processed with salt so that won’t work for her.

Bringing bottled water is no problem but what do we do about ice? The ice is made with the same salted water right?
They don't use salt, An e-mail to Disney would confirm that. I bet there is more salt in bottled water than the ship water. Bottled waters often have minerals added so that certain brands have their distinctive taste. .

I'm not highly knowledgeable about the process, but I thought the ship uses reverse osmosis which desalinates the water as well?
On our Dream cruise the Captain had a Q&A session and one of the questions was exactly that. His response was the ship process the water the SAME WAY most bottled water is - reverse osmosis and filtered.

Last edited:
Those in the know: in the soda machines, where does the water come from?

The salt amount in the water must be low, as it is some of the most refreshing, clean tasting water I consume. But I do not have a mass spectrometer with me.

The airplane or car ride to the ship and the change in exercise is probably a big contributor to people’s swelling.

It’s a week in her life. Is her body that sensitive to changes in sodium? Is she that strict at home? (Maybe why she’s going on a cruise at 93 🤭)

Is she concerned?

My understanding is that all water onboard goes through the same reverse osmosis process. It should have an extremely low sodium content. Water in the stateroom bathrooms, public restrooms, kitchens/food prep, bars, dining, beverage stations, etc.

The salt amount in the water must be low, as it is some of the most refreshing, clean tasting water I consume. But I do not have a mass spectrometer with me.

The airplane or car ride to the ship and the change in exercise is probably a big contributor to people’s swelling.
I always feel silly saying the dining room water was some of the best water I've had in my life 😂

As has been mentioned several times above, the water on the ship is not salted water, as DCL uses reverse osmosis to filter the water, a process similar to how Coca-Cola produces Dasani water. Reverse osmosis will remove impurities and the vast majority of minerals, including sodium... and remember that salt/sodium is not good for the plumbing as it would corrode it over time...

Bottled water goes through reverse osmosis, making the water tasteless...so they add back a small amount of minerals and salt.

-Paul

A quick google search resulted in some sites saying that cruise ship water contains 5-10 ppm of sodium and that bottled water contains approx 10- 60 ppm. Another source states the upper limit for sodium of cruise ship potable water is 5mg per liter. Consult her physician, but it seems that the ships water and ice provide a negligible amount of sodium. She’s 93! Enjoy your trip!

I was just checking my bottled Spring Water and it has 16 mg per liter of sodium which is the same as 16 ppm.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter