Loyal Disney Fans possibly planning a Universal vacation...

lca041302

Earning My Ears
My husband and I have been hardcore Disney addicts since we met-we love the resorts and the parks and even spent our honeymoon there a year and a half ago. In April of next year, we plan to go on a vacation and are considering Universal. (gasp!) What should we expect in terms of price differences, transportation between resorts and parks, room amenities (I hear US rooms are better than WDW), etc. This is a big step for us!

We love disney and still do, but now are major fans of Universal. We felt the same way, but you will not believe what a great destination Universal has become. First, do not try to compare the two because they are totally different experiences. Both great, but both different. Disney has got the Magic, but Universal is trendy, and creates it's own excitement or magic per say. We have found Universal to be cheaper. They always provide room discounts (read more on the hotel boards), ticket discounts and the like. Also staying on site is quite the experience. Not only do you get 5 star service, but you also get FOTL access. (Front of the line) As a resort guest you show your room key at each attraction and by pass the regular line. The max wait you will have is 15 minutes and that would only be at an attraction that has a standby time of 1 hour or more.

Try Universal, you will love it. And stay on these boards. You will learn alot and everyone here is so helpful.

Have fun!

Spidey, I could not have said it better! I just want to add one thing. Don't feel like you are betraying the mouse. There are plenty of parks to go around and enjoy why limit yourself. Go, experience it and have a blast! The worst that can happen is you find its not your cup of tea. Personally I think since you are doing Universal then heading over to Disney what you will be saying is I dont wanna stand on these lines!

Join Loews First Program before your trip at www.loewshotels.com. Its a great program that offeres its members benefits. As far as comparing the ammenities between the 2, the Loews hotels are on par if not above Disneys deluxes with a much cheaper price tag if you can find a discounted rate for your time frame. Usually there are many ways to get a great rate. They allow AAA, AP, Fan Club Card, Entertainment Book and you can also find their properties listed on Hotwire. Transportation between the properties and the parks are great as well. You can walk easily from Hard Rock and Royal Pacific and there is also boat service from all 3.

Also, if you hear an occassional "bashing" of The Mouse...don't take it personally. Universal is all about joking around and having fun. They tell jokes that would NEVER be told at Disney. Just to warn you, because sometimes (but not always) they make one joke towards Disney World during a show. Just wanted to warn you so you don't overreact (not that you would :) ).

You'll enjoy Universal. It's a different pace from Disney. And I also recommend checking out these boards for more information. Lots of great info for planning trips are on here. :)

I agree with all the above posters. Transportation is NO problem. It's a VERY short walk to the parks from the Hard Rock Hotel. A little bit longer walk from the Royal Pacific. All the hotels have the water taxi to the park. They also have bus service to the parks and to the other hotels. It's SO easy to get around Universal.
We spend less on food at Universal than Disney, and the park tickets are much less expensive.

Thanks for backing me up. Don't get me wrong. Especially with a three year old, we love disney, but Universal is another wonderful option for families, thrill seekers, movies buffs and the list goes on. Our son had as much fun at Universal as he did at Disney. He was even more pleasant because he did not have to wait in long long lines to get on a ride.

While we are also disney loving people...honeymooned there, and have bee going back every since...we have always included Universal and Sea World in our Orlando vacation plans.

And now, since Universal has IOA, resorts and City Walk...you are really missing out if you don't go, stay at the resorts and enjoy!

yes, the resorts are spectacular, better ammenities...the concierge desk off the lobby is available to help everyone in the resort, the restaurants are all very good (except Palm at Hard Rock)

The parks are bright, clean and a blast!

I say do it!!!

Since we live close by we can go to any park any time. US and SW is a must every year. The way I see it is if you are going to spend the time and expense of coming to Orlando then see and do all of it.
I have to confess I don’t understand this “loyalty” mentality as the Mouse could care less. One year Sea World gave FL residents a free AP pass, how is that for customer appreciation? We enjoy each for what they are.

I agree with everyone. We had a magical Disney trip last year, and an Awesome Universal trip this year. We loved both of the parks, but there is something about not standing in line that makes the ride so much better. LOL

If we had to pick, my daughter (5) and I would pick Disney,and my husband and son (8) would pick Universal. But, everyone had a blast at both and we will do both again.

Some Disney fans go to Universal and come back disappointed - I think that is just because they are looking for ways that Universal is different, instead of enjoying the ways Universal is different (if that makes any sense).

The resorts are definately less expensive than Disney's and on the level as Disney Deluxes, the are really fabulous! Also, I was quite surprized at the amazing theming at Islands of Adventure. I think if you go in with the right expectations, you will have a blast at Universal Orlando.

We are also iehar isney folks and did one night at HRH this past June. Really enjoyed the hotel(join loew's first -we got cookies and milk at night with turn down) and front of line perk is well worth it! We went to US and did Shrek, Jimmy Neutron, MIB all with no wait(some had 90 min stand by)then DS, his friend and DH did IOA for the rest of the day...thrill rides are not for me..barf! Had dinner at Emeril's Tchoup choup(very good) at Royal Pacific. I find that I enjoyed the parts of Universal we saw, but to me there is nothing that would keep me there for 5 days! I can barely get enough of WDW in 6 days! I may return to see some of the other attractions, but would definitely return to one of their hotels for the FOTL perk! Its worth it!
Connears

Well, we are narrowing it down to a week in Universal, a week in Aruba, or a weeklong cruise...you guys are very persuasive!

How does it work with pets? Our babies (2 pugs) will probably be alone in the rooms a lot. As I understand it, there are people who will walk your dogs?

See the "Loews Loves Pets" section on this page...

http://www.loewshotels.com/aboutus_programs.asp

They even have a pet room service menu. :)

Also, don't forget about CityWalk, the Hard Rock Cafe (which I read is the biggest in the world?) Hard Rock Live (with concerts a la House of Blues), etc...

And I only recently found out that you can buy passes that include US & IOA and also SeaWorld and (I think?) Wet & Wild.

I could see going to USO onsite for a week, if you plan on spending time at the pool, etc. I think you'll be very happily surprised at USO. The height restrictions of the rides were the only negative for my vertically challenged brood. 54" requirement for Hulk and Dueling Dragons, and 40" for most others. Of course, mine are 39" and 50". We'll wait until they're taller before the next trip to cut down on the disappointment of them "not making the cut" and the time lost in child swapping.
PBR was so beautiful. We stayed in 4 resorts this last trip (Seaworld Renaissance, PBR, AKL and Swan) and PBR was the best of the 4 AND the cheapest with the Ent. discount.

We also tried HRH hotel this year, we first went to disney and then switched to Universal area. We loved the HRH and will split our stay again next year. We found HRH to be more relaxing and the pool area was better because my boys could pass a ball, play basketball in the pool. My youngest son loved the activities provided by the lifeguards daily. Also, loved the zero entrance into the pool. Spliting our our stay was like having 2 different vacations in one.:bounce:

costs;
you can get a room at Royal Pacific, garden view, for 110.00 a night. It is a 4 or 4.5 star resort. I got a water view for 125.00 a night (this is entertainment rate). parking is 6.00 a day.

Entertainment rates for Hard Rock start at 125 or 135, I forget which,

I got 5 day park hopping tickets for 89.95 each, including both US and IOA, as well as City Walk

Food prices seem to be comparable.

transportation between parks and resorts:

There is a wter taxi, or it is very walkable from the resorts to the parks. The parks both enter at City Walk.

Staying onsite gives you front of the line access. One of the major points that lead me to Universal this trip

Originally posted by Bevv
costs;
you can get a room at Royal Pacific, garden view, for 110.00 a night. It is a 4 or 4.5 star resort. I got a water view for 125.00 a night (this is entertainment rate). parking is 6.00 a day.

Entertainment rates for Hard Rock start at 125 or 135, I forget which,

I got 5 day park hopping tickets for 89.95 each, including both US and IOA, as well as City Walk

Food prices seem to be comparable.

Bevv, please make sure and post a trip report from your stay at the Royal Pacific when you get back, we are staying there next month and are very anxious to see how it is!! We also bought the 5 day tickets for the price of 2 for $90 ea., even if we will only have 4 days to use them. In fact, I may only go a couple of days and visit Sea World and maybe lounge by the beautiful pool!! ; ) Have a great trip!! :Pinkbounc Kelly

Originally posted by alaskantwinks
Bevv, please make sure and post a trip report from your stay at the Royal Pacific when you get back, we are staying there next month and are very anxious to see how it is!! We also bought the 5 day tickets for the price of 2 for $90 ea., even if we will only have 4 days to use them. In fact, I may only go a couple of days and visit Sea World and maybe lounge by the beautiful pool!! ; ) Have a great trip!! :Pinkbounc Kelly

looks like we have similar plans.... My husband and I MIGHT go to Disney/MGM, but rest of the time is going to be parks or pool :)

Be on the look out for the trip report

Originally posted by alaskantwinks

Hey Kelly! Here's an interesting link

http://www.yourmagicaljourneys.com/Universal/rph.htm

It will give you a better idea of the RPR.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter