• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Lucas Spokesman Decries Sentinnell

Safari Steve

D23 Expo Here I Come!!!
I'm working on getting the text to this one, but here's the basic point. Many of you may have seen an article a little while back that was written in the local rag about the relationship between Disney and Lucasfilm Ltd, and specifically having to do with the reasoning behind the Star Wars Weekend(s) situation this year. The article cited "anonymous" sources and basically said that the relationship between the companies is "distant" and the cancellation of SWW '02 was "a major snub".

I'm sure that regular posters know of my occasional disdain for the Scent-innell, and that I percieve a lack of responsibility and (at least) a slight anti-WDW bent in some of their reporting. You may be surprised to know that I'm not the only one who feels this way. This past week's issue of the Main Street Diary, a WDW cast publication, contains a CC of a letter sent to the OS Editors by a Lucas Lisencing exec. He states that he was interviewed by the reporter for this article, and that he was not only mis-quoted, but that the article contains out-and-out lies "fabricated by the reporter to support his pre-concieved opinions". He goes on to detail the reasoning behind the changes this year, and to reinforce the public statement that Lucas and Disney have a strong creative partnership. The executive also asserts his disappointment with the OS Editors and Staff, and says that he will NEVER again grant an interview to the reporter in question. I would have typed the text directly, but after a 12 hour grad-nite shift, I forgot to bring my copy of the MSD home with me. It will be forthcoming.

Thanks for the info, Steve.

Could this be another reason why Disney Deluxe Resorts now deliver USA Today instead of the OS?

Lisa

Thanks Steve. Would love to read it if you have a chance to type it up. I'm always surprised at how poor the Sentinels Disney coverage is. I guess by now I shouldn't be.

Boy Steve I'm with you on this one. I'm an avid newspaper reader. I get two everyday, the local one and USA Today. But when I was CP last fall I quit getting the Orlando Sentinal after just being there a few weeks. They seemed to be very anti Disney and there other stories and reporting were BORING! Since I worked at Star Tours at MGM I used to hear lots of rumors and stuff about Lucas's relationship with Disney. I first heard that they canceled SWW back in November, I remember when my manager came back from the meeting he was mad! He had worked so hard in planning it and Designing the T Shirts and posters. I felt really bad for him. Oh well, hopefully things will get back on track soon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter