Luggage Size For 9 Year Olds

They are for United — Basic Economy. It was a great deal, so we figured we could deal with paying a small fee for luggage and not reserving a seat in advance. We went Southwest in the past for a direct flight, but their prices have gone up. I’m sort of counting on no one wanting to sit with three unsupervised young triplet boys lol.
I know we've moved topics a bit but I would take this as a learning lesson TBH.

When purchasing something always read the description of what you're buying and research (even just a tiny bit) into what you're doing (meaning how the airline works).

When you are purchasing tickets you'll get this prompt if you select Basic Economy which clearly spells out the restrictions (you need to scroll down on the prompt I just didn't screen shot the scrolling down part):
upload_2018-9-16_9-27-51.png

Here's United's dedicated webpage for Basic Economy: https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/inflight/basic-economy.aspx It comes with a lot of restrictions so please go to the webpage for more information but I'll paste in some ones that might be applicable to you:

upload_2018-9-16_9-16-59.png

This is the most important to your specific situation-
upload_2018-9-16_9-17-45.png

upload_2018-9-16_9-18-8.png

upload_2018-9-16_9-18-27.png

Honestly you need to ASAP purchase advanced seat assignments and understand that you may not be sitting next to your children should there not be seats available together. Please understand that if you call you may not be granted what you request. Please also do not expect people on the plane to move for you (I don't know that you were saying you would do that just putting it out there).

I would implore you NOT to purchase these tickets in the future unless you really truly 100% expect to be seating solo and your traveling party also to be seated solo (as there may not be seats together when you're assigned a seat at the gate and there might not be seats together even if you pay for advanced seating assignment).

Basic economy is really for the people who don't care about where they sit, don't care about specified extras like carry on luggage, drinks or food (depending on the airline), and likely the more salient reason is saving money.

I hope you still have a good trip!!

The OP just made a mistake. He/she apparently didn't realize that regular economy passengers on the legacy airlines do get to choose their seats, as the OP's previous flying experience was mostly with Southwest.

That's why the legacies need to rename Basic Economy "Restricted Economy", or something that makes it clear that these are special discount seats with restrictions that aren't appropriate for families. Or better yet, they should only allow booking of those seats for those 18 & older. The fact that they don't bother shows how little the airlines care about the flight experience of regular economy passengers, whose toes get stepped on by families who unintentionally bought Basic Economy tickets, then make them give up their pre-chosen seats.
Eh...honestly while I feel bad for the OP it's pretty darn clear what Basic Economy is with each airline it's just people either opt not to look at the screen, or assume that what the screen says won't actually apply (this seems to be the most often used comment).

FWIW with United it actually says "Basic Economy (Most Restricted)"

Also United is very very clear about not being able to sit with your group or family (see above screenshot in my post above).

You also have to check mark that Basic Economy works for you AND the computer WON'T let you continue until you actually check mark that:
upload_2018-9-16_9-31-52.png

After I select it works for me:
upload_2018-9-16_9-32-24.png

Eh...honestly while I feel bad for the OP it's pretty darn clear what Basic Economy is with each airline it's just people either opt not to look at the screen, or assume that what the screen says won't actually apply (this seems to be the most often used comment).

FWIW with United it actually says "Basic Economy (Most Restricted)"

Also United is very very clear about not being able to sit with your group or family (see above screenshot in my post above).

You also have to check mark that Basic Economy works for you AND the computer WON'T let you continue until you actually check mark that:
View attachment 351202

After I select it works for me:
View attachment 351204
I've heard that it's less clear when booking via 3rd party sites...

But yes, I do agree that it's likely often disregarded during booking by families who later insist they must have seats together once on the flight. And I will not give up my seat on the flight, short of a direct order by the senior flight attendant. I couldn't care less about sitting by a child whose parent is 10 rows back. I'm a teacher & work with them every day- I like kids & they take up less room than adults, anyway. Not having a big person next to me is actually a bonus in my book.

The airlines shouldn't let families with kids under 12 book via Basic Economy. That would prevent a lot of problems on the plane later on.

I've heard that it's less clear when booking via 3rd party sites, though.
I haven't looked into 3rd party sites but the OP didn't specify they booked through 3rd party sites so at the moment I'm going to assume they booked directly with United on their website.

IF they did purchase through a 3rd party website my prior advice of research (even a little bit) on how the airline works still applies.

The airlines shouldn't let families with kids under 12 book via Basic Economy
Well before you said those under age 18 and now it's under 12.

IDK I don't think the answer is to restrict even further simply based on age. You would still have the same issues as above and perhaps even worse where someone purchases basic for themselves but standard economy for the ones under a certain age and then expect to sit next to them to save $ or traveling parties with 2 adults purchases only 1 adult under standard economy and the other under basic and they expect to sit together, etc.

I get where you're coming from but in all honesty it would be a nightmare trying to account for all the 'what ifs' out there with placing that sort of restriction. The airline gives the consumer a product the consumer either accepts or doesn't accept what the product comes with. I sat by myself at age 11 perfectly fine while my dad was in another area of the plane. Why should we have been prevented from sitting that way because of some arbitrary number? At the present moment the airlines are giving the consumer the choice on what they want to do.

And apologies to the OP; I don't want this thread to become a debate on the product I simply wanted to provide some information. Like I said I feel bad for the OP and I just hope they can pay for the assigned seats with ones next to each other.

Well before you said those under age 18 and now it's under 12...Why should we have been prevented from sitting that way because of some arbitrary number? At the present moment the airlines are giving the consumer the choice on what they want to do.
Yes, upon further reflection, age 12 seemed like the appropriate restriction rather than 18.

I do think there needs to be a restriction for the simple reason that flight attendants will often force other passengers to move to seat families with kids under 12 together, regardless of how the family booked their flight. The FA doesn't care, and the passengers have to obey. That's the way it is.

Under these conditions, with the reality of families booking basic economy & then successfully demanding to be seated together at other passengers' expense upon boarding, I absolutely do think families with kids under 12 should be restricted from booking Basic Economy.

Yes, upon further reflection, age 12 seemed like the appropriate restriction rather than 18.

I do think there needs to be a restriction for the simple reason that flight attendants will often force other passengers to move to seat families with kids under 12 together, regardless of how the family booked their flight. The FA doesn't care, and the passengers have to obey. That's the way it is.

Under these conditions, with the reality of families booking basic economy & then successfully demanding to be seated together at other passengers' expense upon boarding, I absolutely do think families with kids under 12 should be restricted from booking Basic Economy.
IDK, "force" passengers, etc it's just odd to assume that exactly what will happen 100% of the time to 100% of the passengers. It's always a flight by flight situation. Even with SWA things become a flight by flight situation. But I go by the rules, tell people what the rules are and that's all I can do.

But I can see you're convinced on the solution. I'm not nor do I agree with it. I'm not going to advocate for a restriction that I'm not convinced would improve the situation especially when I think it may make it worse and piss people off who are now being told the choice is out of their hands and they are forced to fork over more money and the airline is just being greedy, etc (some people would at least see it that way).

In any case we both were just trying to provide the OP with information rather than revolutionize a product so perhaps we just agree to disagree (and I'm not saying we were debating or anything) just to try to get back on topic or in the case of basic economy giving the OP information as basic economy is presently laid out :)

ETA: Sorry just didn't want the thread to become pages and pages of just you and I discussing how the product could be changed; no offense meant :-).

Last edited:
I’m sort of counting on no one wanting to sit with three unsupervised young triplet boys lol.

Eek!

Oh, I guess I may have misunderstood. I thought it was sort of like a Southwest flight where no one gets to pick their seats. So, some will have a seat assigned already but there won’t be many seats that aren’t assigned? I may need to call the airline. I don’t think that will work well with for us all on the flight. They all have sensory issues.

Only SW does the “choose your seats once onboard” thing.

The fact that you could choose basic economy and also other levels that do allow choosing seats means that there will be assigned seats.

Your seats will be assigned by the airline.

These airlines really should restrict Basic Economy tickets to people over age 18, to keep families from making this mistake.

My son and I are totally fine sitting separately. A restriction like that wouldn’t be in any way useful for us.

It’s all about reading what you’re choosing.

The OP just made a mistake. He/she apparently didn't realize that regular economy passengers on the legacy airlines do get to choose their seats, as the OP's previous flying experience was mostly with Southwest.

Just going through the app, first I have to use the slider to even SEE basic economy.

Then when I choose that nice cheap seat, it takes me here.

605F09CC-F6DE-4B50-9505-2E97F735B682.jpeg

You have to use that slider to agree.

That's why the legacies need to rename Basic Economy "Restricted Economy", or something that makes it clear that these are special discount seats with restrictions

I think they make it perfectly clear.

I do think there needs to be a restriction for the simple reason that flight attendants will often force other passengers to move to seat families with kids under 12 together, regardless of how the family booked their flight.

I haven’t experienced that or seen it.

On United we were traveling on miles and there was nasty weather on the opposite coast, causing a jumble in Seattle. Our flights were changed, and a quick trip to Anaheim became three flights. Two didn’t have us sitting together.

Once on the plane WE asked passengers if he could move closer to me. The FAs, who were awesome in many ways, didn’t assist in this.

In the end my then...gosh...10? year old was two rows back from me with women who welcomed him like a grandson. And he had a terrific time. And that’s how we now know that he’s fine sitting apart.

And last month he took his first flight alone.

Editing to add.

I just went through the Priceline site on my cell (not the app) for the same flight. Even they are pretty clear.

63531C14-5206-4864-BD14-E5A4EC5E1B31.jpeg

9125A2F3-03C2-4668-A685-A3D08B149446.jpeg

Last edited:
They are for United — Basic Economy. It was a great deal, so we figured we could deal with paying a small fee for luggage and not reserving a seat in advance. We went Southwest in the past for a direct flight, but their prices have gone up. I’m sort of counting on no one wanting to sit with three unsupervised young triplet boys lol.

Honestly, I am a shocked at that statement. United makes it very clear that when you Select Basic Economy you have opted for bargain price over any choice at all in seat assignment. End of story.
United has lots of preferred (extra cost) seating options in coach. It's quite likely the many folks that paid more for a "better" seats in coach will expect to keep their seats.

Eek!

Only SW does the “choose your seats once onboard” thing.

The fact that you could choose basic economy and also other levels that do allow choosing seats means that there will be assigned seats.

Your seats will be assigned by the airline.

My son and I are totally fine sitting separately. A restriction like that wouldn’t be in any way useful for us.

It’s all about reading what you’re choosing.

Just going through the app, first I have to use the slider to even SEE basic economy.

Then when I choose that nice cheap seat, it takes me here.

View attachment 351221

You have to use that slider to agree.

I think they make it perfectly clear.

I haven’t experienced that or seen it.

On United we were traveling on miles and there was nasty weather on the opposite coast, causing a jumble in Seattle. Our flights were changed, and a quick trip to Anaheim became three flights. Two didn’t have us sitting together.

Once on the plane WE asked passengers if he could move closer to me. The FAs, who were awesome in many ways, didn’t assist in this.

In the end my then...gosh...10? year old was two rows back from me with women who welcomed him like a grandson. And he had a terrific time. And that’s how we now know that he’s fine sitting apart.

And last month he took his first flight alone.

Editing to add.

I just went through the Priceline site on my cell (not the app) for the same flight. Even they are pretty clear.

View attachment 351224

View attachment 351225
It does happen, though, particularly when kids are small & the parents aren't calm. Basic Economy is a special restricted offering to begin with, so I see no reason why they can't add an age restriction on it, to boot.

Back to the luggage questions, your sons look strong and may prefer duffle bags. My petite daughter was about 7 or 8 when she abandoned her child’s rollerboard for our 18” Kipling duffle bag without wheels. She has managed to take week long trips with only that and her school backpack for 15 years now. One big advantage is that it is easier to carry up stairs, or even onto escalators. And if you travel places with dirt or cobblestone pathways she’s always much faster than any of use with roller bags. Duffles also come in a billion colors.

Honestly, I am a shocked at that statement. United makes it very clear that when you Select Basic Economy you have opted for bargain price over any choice at all in seat assignment. End of story.
United has lots of preferred (extra cost) seating options in coach. It's quite likely the many folks that paid more for a "better" seats in coach will expect to keep their seats.

We booked with Expedia. I only realized after the mistake I made in thinking all of the tickets were basic economy. I called United today to see if I could pay more and was told they sell many of the basic economy tickets and, while we won’t be guaranteed to be together, she could guarantee at least one adult would be with our kids. It may be a 4/1 split or a 1/1 & 1/2 split. She didn’t expect they would have to inconvenience anyone to arrange that.

That's why the legacies need to rename Basic Economy "Restricted Economy", or something that makes it clear that these are special discount seats with restrictions that aren't appropriate for families. Or better yet, they should only allow booking of those seats for those 18 & older. The fact that they don't bother shows how little the airlines care about the flight experience of regular economy passengers, whose toes get stepped on by families who unintentionally bought Basic Economy tickets, then make them give up their pre-chosen seats.

Thank you! This is what happened. Yes, I knew we didn’t have the option to choose our seat, but misunderstood that it was a flight mixed with assigned seats. I honestly don’t want anyone to be inconvenienced and said that merely out of desperation after realizing my mistake. I called to inquire about the cost to upgrade and change to an assigned seat in advance, but was told that it couldn’t be changed now. I was then told that they actually sell many of these tickets and, not to worry about it, they don’t expect it to be an issue. They added that they never allow a child from one family to sit alone, which is reassuring, but also surprising since families are allowed to buy the tickets in the first place.

I would also like to say that I’m normally pretty careful when I book things like air fare or hotels. I will admit it was a foolish oversight. I had been frantically looking for flights most of the day. The rates seemed to be jumping all over the place and were going up quickly. I definitely panicked and bought the tickets prematurely. (I’ve admitted to this on other threads). It was late when I purchased the tickets and I was beyond exhausted from the whole process. I also regret not booking directly with United, but feel Expedia has been helpful overall. The whole thing has definitely been a learning experience.

I would also like to say that I’m normally pretty careful when I book things like air fare or hotels. I will admit it was a foolish oversight. I had been frantically looking for flights most of the day. The rates seemed to be jumping all over the place and were going up quickly. I definitely panicked and bought the tickets prematurely. (I’ve admitted to this on other threads). It was late when I purchased the tickets and I was beyond exhausted from the whole process. I also regret not booking directly with United, but feel Expedia has been helpful overall. The whole thing has definitely been a learning experience.
Things happen :hug:. Now you know for the future :-)

Back to the luggage questions, your sons look strong and may prefer duffle bags. My petite daughter was about 7 or 8 when she abandoned her child’s rollerboard for our 18” Kipling duffle bag without wheels. She has managed to take week long trips with only that and her school backpack for 15 years now. One big advantage is that it is easier to carry up stairs, or even onto escalators. And if you travel places with dirt or cobblestone pathways she’s always much faster than any of use with roller bags. Duffles also come in a billion colors.

Thank you! Our current bags are actually wheeled duffles. They have served us well and have held up good overall, but the waterproofing seems to be wearing. They were fairly inexpensive and, I suppose it is something to consider. We wanted the hard sided luggage, mainly because we live in a cool climate and thought the harder luggage might offer more protection from the elements. Are we right in thinking that?

I will say that you can't assume that the airlines will help when this happens. I once had to book a last minute flight (Our college football team was invited to the Peach Bowl!) and the airline wouldn't let me choose seat assignments. That was a problem because we had a 4-year-old with us. I called the airlines and they said to get there early and tell the ticket counter. The ticket counter punted the problem to the gate counter. The gate counter told me to ask the flight attendant for help. The flight attendant wouldn't help. Luckily a kind grandmother took pity on me and moved so I could sit with our preschooler. Luckily DS8 behaved well sitting by himself.

I will say that you can't assume that the airlines will help when this happens. I once had to book a last minute flight (Our college football team was invited to the Peach Bowl!) and the airline wouldn't let me choose seat assignments. That was a problem because we had a 4-year-old with us. I called the airlines and they said to get there early and tell the ticket counter. The ticket counter punted the problem to the gate counter. The gate counter told me to ask the flight attendant for help. The flight attendant wouldn't help. Luckily a kind grandmother took pity on me and moved so I could sit with our preschooler. Luckily DS8 behaved well sitting by himself.
Very true. Last month my son and I had our first class flight reassigned due to a delay & were given seats not next to each other on another flight. The ticket agent said not to worry, that the gate agent would move a single to put us next to each other- that since it was all first class (& mostly upgrades, whereas we had paid for first), that wouldn't be a problem. But upon arrival at the gate, the gate agent very brusquely refused to move any seating assignments, and said that we could ask for help onboard. Upon boarding, I asked the flight attendants for help, and they said I was on my own and should ask someone to switch. Fortunately, a passenger didn't mind switching, as it was all first class. But it was a bit nerve-wracking as my son is autistic & really didn't want to sit away from me. It wasn't a short flight.

The gate agents & flight attendants really don't care about who paid for what seating & service. They just want to keep things running smoothly & easily for themselves.

Well, I’m glad it worked out for you. There is a big difference between sitting alone with a 4 year old and a 9–almost 10 year old. In our situation, I mainly was feeling bad because I wouldn’t want anyone to have to sit next to my unsupervised child. That said, they might not be as comfortable as they would with us, but they would survive. There is no way we could manage at all if they were 4.

Of course, I’m not entirely sure that our son with severe anxiety wouldn’t completely freak out.

If I am paying for luggage fees, I prefer to take big bags and share over everyone havong their own bag. We have bigger bags bit my favorite size bag now is 27x17. For a 4 or 5 day trip I can fit one adult and a kid in this size. For a full week, we'd use three of this size for the 4 us.

Last edited:
If I am paying for luggage fees, I prefer to take big bags and share over everyone havong their own bag. We have bigger bags bit my favorite size bag now is 27x17. For a 4 or 5 day trip I can fit one adult and a kid in this size. For a full week, we'd use three of this size for the 4 us.

Is that basically a 28”?

We were hoping to get away with 4 bags for the 5 of us. We were still considering getting each of them their own suitcase for future trips.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter