Magic 6/23 ship in poor conditon (a short report)

The Magic was a one and done for me. It's too small and doesn't have enough venues

If I was new to cruising and sailed on the Magic I might be disappointed. I’m used to the Magic. I now what to expect in terms of wear and tear.

I just spent 12 days on a new ship and yeah theres no comparison unless it’s the Wish.:crazy2: I had an actual thermostat that I could set at 65, a tv I could control with my phone, a state of the art gym, freestyle soda fountain, rain forest shower just to name a few things.

I’ve cruise on the Magic for 15 years and it’s nostalgic. I still like the ship. I’m not sure how I’d feel if I didn’t have the history with her.

One worked and one did not (or at least it didn't look like it was working - very corroded and the little gallon counter was not showing a number) while we were on it.
One worked and one did not (or at least it didn't look like it was working - very corroded and the little gallon counter was not showing a number) while we were on it.
We had the same issue. There is an additional filtered water station on deck 10 forward by the basket ball courts. We used that one the entire cruise.

There is no reason to think the OP is a troll. Many people have reported issues with the Magic since dry dock. I actually canceled my Panama Canal cruise because of all the negative reports I’ve heard about the Magic from several different people on several different sailings. There was just no way I was going to be on a ship for 14 nights and have to deal with issues with AC or elevators not working.

Could the OP give more details, of course, but that doesn’t mean their points are not valid or haven’t been echoed by others on other threads.

It’s OK to admit that sometimes disney gets it wrong and sometimes there is a learning curve as a guest as well. I’m sure all of us can read and decipher what’s going on.
Sad to hear you cancelled a cruise in 5 months time because of reports. Disney would not leave these issues in service for 5 months. The number of issues reported has already started to drop so the AC issues must be being dealt with or there would still be a tirade of complaints showing up on forums like this. I too am sailing the PC cruise but as said I don't believe that Disney will leave the ship with these issues for 5 months.

If I was new to cruising and sailed on the Magic I might be disappointed. I’m used to the Magic. I now what to expect in terms of wear and tear.

I just spent 12 days on a new ship and yeah theres no comparison unless it’s the Wish.:crazy2: I had an actual thermostat that I could set at 65, a tv I could control with my phone, a state of the art gym, freestyle soda fountain, rain forest shower just to name a few things.

I’ve cruise on the Magic for 15 years and it’s nostalgic. I still like the ship. I’m not sure how I’d feel if I didn’t have the history with her.
Oh, which new ship was this? Sounds a gem

Sad to hear you cancelled a cruise in 5 months time because of reports. Disney would not leave these issues in service for 5 months. The number of issues reported has already started to drop so the AC issues must be being dealt with or there would still be a tirade of complaints showing up on forums like this. I too am sailing the PC cruise but as said I don't believe that Disney will leave the ship with these issues for 5 months.
With the paid in full date being June 7th, there wasn’t a lot of wiggle room. And while I love Disney and Disney cruising, I’m not going to pretend that I have the same amount of faith in the company that I used to. You can tell overall that they are not spending as much money in the parks or on the ships with upkeep that they used to pre covid.

I hope you have an amazing cruise and by then all the issues are worked out but for me, it was too much money to gamble with, especially when you include flights hotels, etc.

I sailed on the Magic last week. Those issues were all already fixed.

With the paid in full date being June 7th, there wasn’t a lot of wiggle room. And while I love Disney and Disney cruising, I’m not going to pretend that I have the same amount of faith in the company that I used to. You can tell overall that they are not spending as much money in the parks or on the ships with upkeep that they used to pre covid.

I hope you have an amazing cruise and by then all the issues are worked out but for me, it was too much money to gamble with, especially when you include flights hotels, etc.
Gotta go with your gut. None of these issues might be why you were supposed to cancel your reservation. And you may never know, either. If you feel at peace, I’d say it was the right move.

I get that. I like you know that the company are spending less money since covid (evident in the parks and on the ships) but am still hopeful that the experience will be amazing. Having planned this trip and then had it cancelled because of COVID it did make it more of a "see what happens" and there is no right or wrong here. Hopefully you get to spend that money and vacation time doing something great instead
I sailed on the Magic last week. Those issues were all already fixed.
That's great to hear and this was my hope. I know things aren't all rosey in the Disney world and some things are bound to be worse since COVID (I think COVID is being used as an excuse for a lot of cut backs mind) but from the sounds of all the issues that happened it was more due to going back into service too soon and not having long enough in dry dock.

The end elevator in the back of the ship? Are you sure about the elevator?
Now that I reflect on that, I do recall that one elevator was out of service. That's out of 12 passenger elevators onboard, 11 of them fully functional, so I don't really see that as an issue. There were no long waits for elevators other than at the expected times (boarding, debarkation, after muster drill, etc.), and those waits would not have been greatly different with 12 rather than 11 passenger elevators being functional. There are long waits at those times on every ship, every cruise.

The OP is an individual who obviously hated her cruise and never wants to sail DCL again. Having one more working elevator wouldn't have made her any happier.

The corrections I was referring to were the things that make normal DCL cruisers worried, things like the A/C not working. That was 100% fixed by the time of my cruise last week. And there was no problem of multiple "elevators" (plural) not working, as was suggested by a previous post. That makes it sound like all or most of the elevators were out and people had to use the stairs, which is totally untrue. Only one single elevator on the whole ship was out of service. It was a non-issue.

Last edited:
Now that I reflect on that, I do recall that one elevator was out of service. That's out of 12 passenger elevators onboard, 11 of them fully functional, so I don't really see that as an issue. There were no long waits for elevators other than at the expected times (boarding, debarkation, after muster drill, etc.), and those waits would not have been greatly different with 12 rather than 11 passenger elevators being functional. There are long waits at those times on every ship, every cruise.

The OP is an individual who obviously hated her cruise and never wants to sail DCL again. Having one more working elevator wouldn't have made her any happier.

The corrections I was referring to were the things that make normal DCL cruisers worried, things like the A/C not working. That was 100% fixed by the time of my cruise last week. And there was no problem of multiple "elevators" (plural) not working, as was suggested by a previous post. That makes it sound like all or most of the elevators were out and people had to use the stairs, which is totally untrue. Only one single elevator on the whole ship was out of service. It was a non-issue.
I see it the same way. I’m just thinking that since the elevator has been down over a year… now that makes me worry a little. That’s the kinda thing that a number cruncher would harp on to scrap her. I really really really thought they’d have that fixed on the last dry dock, but it was a short one. If they can’t fix it on the next dry dock, I’m really going to be stressed out for the Magic. I suppose I’m overenthusiastic for her to want to go 50 years?

I see it the same way. I’m just thinking that since the elevator has been down over a year… now that makes me worry a little. That’s the kinda thing that a number cruncher would harp on to scrap her. I really really really thought they’d have that fixed on the last dry dock, but it was a short one. If they can’t fix it on the next dry dock, I’m really going to be stressed out for the Magic. I suppose I’m overenthusiastic for her to want to go 50 years?
I see your concern. Good point. On the other hand, as I pointed out, it's not much of an issue for guests, so they might have prioritized updating her electrical system (or whatever they did in dry dock- I'm no expert on that but it sounds like a pretty significant update) instead. It's clear from the immediate post-dry dock cruises that they ran out of time for repairs during dry dock. Also, the Fantasy still has her vibration issue after all these years, and I don't think she's going anywhere.

I saw them painting the top front of the ship- a big crew, during my cruise. It was just to make an off-white area look bright white again, and not an area that's easy to see if you're not in the gym, where I was at the time. With that kind of care, I don't think she's going to be scrapped anytime soon. I could be wrong, but they were being meticulous with painting in multiple areas that weren't obvious areas. To me that seems to indicate a desire to keep her going.

Maybe it's worth to consider that very few liners operate ship that old with expensive fares. There's surely a “tipping point” after which Disney might still inject all the money they have and it's no longer worth it.

As it's a non-issue for guest I wouldn't mark it as relevant from a “guest-point-of-view”. There's surely a massive amount of things that don't work backstage and we don't see as well and I very much doubt an elevator is going to change much.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter