Magic band plus- confirmed news from Disney.

Glad to see the MB+ finally arrive. Loved the MB’s at WDW. So much easier than using a cell phone. Now if DL could get their security up to the same level/speed as WDW.

For this I would sincerely hope that since they are making a new WoC, that it is done correctly from the beginning. But to be honest, this is the last functionality I care about. More interested in being able to do the tap tap for everything without having to manage 3+ ppl on a single phone, or taking out paper passes, etc.
I agree about the phone for just my husband and I in 2019 we found MP to be a bit clunky with the phones getting it to scan and finding it quickly enough on our phones so I def. hear you there.

It just wouldn't be worth an investment to us to spend $70 just to avoid that especially with knowing that device needs a charge just like our phones would where we are making the actual plans on. Like I said in my other comment to another poster we would have purchased regular MBs to use at DLR if we visited in a few years, they would have gotten money from us now they will get none on that front

I could see that. However, if the effects are done the same it won't take long for word to get out.

I think the difference is that as WDW since they've had some version of MB for some time, their comparisions will always be against what they already have and whether the increased cost/having to replace existing MBs is worth what they may think is a minor benefit or no benefit.
At DLR it wasn't that long ago (2020) that we were still scanning paper passes/AP cards at fast pass lanes and now the digital equivalent of it on our phones so the comparision would be against these. Personally I'd rather scan my wrist band out then have to take my phone out (with the full understanding that I'd still have to take phone out to make lighting lane selections). I could use an old MB for this, but if there is a shiny new thing out I'll be getting it lol.

The main question will be will the typical DLR guest find these a detractor if they pan out the same. One thing to note is if you're a regular at DLR and want to use your band every time for the features you would need to make sure it's charged (I believe I've read Disney recommends nightly charging)--battery expected to last 1-3 days depending on usage.
I lurk in a lot of disney groups and I've seen a lot of folks complain about having to charge the MB. Personally I don't understand this complaint since most people have multiple devices on them that need to be charged daily or every few days.

At DLR it wasn't that long ago (2020) that we were still scanning paper passes/AP cards at fast pass lanes and now the digital equivalent of it on our phones so the comparision would be against these.
They've had MP for years though and that was a big hit at DLR and one where you were paying specifically to be able to make selections on your phone digitally since 2017. You were even able to add MP for a 1-time charge to your AP. I'm not sure people compare paper scanning to MB+ when digital has been around and quite successful for more than 5 years now. Certainly using your wrist can be easier than your phone, we def. like that with MBs at WDW, but it's really no different than us using our phone, less hassle but still the same.

When we went twice in 2019 though WOC was a paper FP distribution though as it wasn't connected to MP. I know for sure March 2019 it wasn't but I do feel like I remember them connecting them at a later date.
if there is a shiny new thing out I'll be getting it lol.
lol well that's true but I tend to look at what that shiny new thing is getting me. Thinking of it like okay there's this new cell phone out what upgrades/updates/new features are there compared to this version and is this an overall improvement or not. Things like battery life on cell phones doesn't always get better with the newer version.
I lurk in a lot of disney groups and I've seen a lot of folks complain about having to charge the MB. Personally I don't understand this complaint since most people have multiple devices on them that need to be charged daily or every few days.
Usually it's related to the hassle of charging it for a device with a very particular usage. We bring portable chargers with us but now if I have to worry about a MB+ discharging I'm going to have to think about that and ensuring I charge it before I go to the parks OR bring another portable charger in addition to the one I would use for my phone.

It's bulk, space and something to have to remember and the newness of that might fade enough over time that there will be people who shrug it and don't worry about charging it which makes it just like a MB. Our cell phones are with us all the time, people use them for everything. It's my alarm clock lol so I better have at least some charge too it. I'm not going to wear my MB+ all the time. People who use smart watches do use them everyday or fitbit styles so there's an offset in having to worry about that charging. People already complained enough about cell phone battery draining so I get the complaint of adding yet another device to think about.

They've had MP for years though and that was a big hit at DLR and one where you were paying specifically to be able to make selections on your phone digitally since 2017. You were even able to add MP for a 1-time charge to your AP. I'm not sure people compare paper scanning to MB+ when digital has been around and quite successful for more than 5 years now. Certainly using your wrist can be easier than your phone, we def. like that with MBs at WDW, but it's really no different than us using our phone, less hassle but still the same.

When we went twice in 2019 though WOC was a paper FP distribution though as it wasn't connected to MP. I know for sure March 2019 it wasn't but I do feel like I remember them connecting them at a later date.
Well, actually we only had MaxPass for about 2.5yrs before the shutdown so there were plenty of infrequent visitors to DLR who never used MaxPass- especially since throughout that time the paper FP system was still in place and could be used if you didn't want to pay for MP. And even now you can still scan your paper ticket for G+ returns if you want- it doesn't have to be your phone.

Right now there are HUGE bottlenecks in all the Lightning Lanes of people fumbling with phones and screens at the scan stations. If MB+ can help alleviate some of that with a smoother scan process I'm all for it. I also suspect the huge Magic Key (annual passholder) population at DLR will adopt these relatively quickly (and I'm sure there will be MK exclusive bands etc.).

My understanding is the MB+ includes Bluetooth functionality (hence the need for charging etc.) on top of the RFID technology for MB/MB2. If the infrastructure they plan to use at DLR relies more heavily on Bluetooth (even for things that might be done by RFID at WDW) then it would make sense that the older types would not be supported here.

Well, actually we only had MaxPass for about 2.5yrs before the shutdown so there were plenty of infrequent visitors to DLR who never used MaxPass-
...I think we're aware of the shutdown :)

The direct comparison to paper FPs doesn't make as much sense when there has been a heavily used feature since 2017. And if you're looking at being very specific in time it was in usage for just about 3 years prior to DLR being closed. I believe it goes without saying that no one was actually using MP when the park wasn't opened. It however isn't as if the service didn't exist or was in some obscurity shortly before the pandemic such that people's memories were still largely focused on purely paper kiosks and now this MB+ was the new best thing ever. There were tons and tons and tons of people using MP in 2019 both times we went (total of 6 days). And quite a few of infrequent visitors to DLR from these Boards who raved about MP. It was not some unused product that's for sure lol.
Right now there are HUGE bottlenecks in all the Lightning Lanes of people fumbling with phones and screens at the scan stations.
Yes this was the case back in 2019. My earlier point about this was not offering the ability use or purchase regular MBs which would help alleviate this issue. As I mentioned earlier it's banking on enough DLR guests to purchase MB+. To alleviate what you're talking about in an appreciable amount you do need enough buy in. Perhaps it will get that way as it took a big for MBs to catch on at WDW but it also has pain points that never existed with regular MBs. It will not solve what you're talking about overnight if limiting to just MB+

then it would make sense that the older types would not be supported here.
I don't know why, respectfully, that would make sense since the features that are with RFID will still work without the battery being charged. You'll still get access to LL for example and park access. You wouldn't have a haptic response however to things. Disney still has to have the tech built in for the RFID to be utilized so not allowing a product that only used RFID doesn't make sense if you're thinking about the bluetooth part. I do think the primary reason is just marketing the newer item and my viewpoint while I would complain about not being able to use my MBs would be different if there was already a built in base like there is at WDW where they've had since 2013 to know the guest base on this particular aspect. I can see where you're thinking but they have to have RFID anyways to do the basic stuff..the same stuff that regular MBs do.

I am so happy and excited for this announcement!!!
And I'd like to explain and add my random data point. 😀
I'm planning / doing / taking my first ever trip to DLR later this year. It will either be a "once in a lifetime" visit, or at the most, "once every 5 years or so" thing.
I was taken to DW as a child and honestly have no desire to go back as large things and places are too overwhelming; thus, DLR sounds much more my speed.
And yet, the minute I saw here a past rumor about bands coming to and working in DLR, I was excited and started searching styles... Because, as a previous poster said, an extra $X is "pocket change" in the scheme of "once in a lifetime" all the other stuff I'll be paying for, lol.
Why? Because:
1 - A design came out that I really liked... and so it will be one of my souvenirs for / from the trip.
2 - Similar to thoughts in this thread and many other threads on this board that I've been studying and enjoying about "not being on my phone" and "faster / easier than fumbling a phone". The "convenience" factor...
Because, although I don't mind relying on my phone, but I am concerned with how many threads here talk about how sluggish the app can be... PLUS - and this is a big one for me that I haven't seen mentioned - as a person at high risk for covid complications, I choose to still wear a mask everywhere I go, including during this Disney trip. And I don't know about you all, but unlocking my phone while wearing a mask is still very cumbersome and slow so add that to the potential slowness of the DL app annnndddd... I really like the idea of scanning into... whatever amount of things are possible with a MB+ instead of my masked face. 👍

Yes this was the case back in 2019. My earlier point about this was not offering the ability use or purchase regular MBs which would help alleviate this issue. As I mentioned earlier it's banking on enough DLR guests to purchase MB+. To alleviate what you're talking about in an appreciable amount you do need enough buy in. Perhaps it will get that way as it took a big for MBs to catch on at WDW but it also has pain points that never existed with regular MBs. It will not solve what you're talking about overnight if limiting to just MB+
I don't understand this at all. What could a regular MB help with that a MB+ can't? Why would purchasing a regular MB alleviate the issue, but purchasing a MB+ would not ?

I don't know why, respectfully, that would make sense since the features that are with RFID will still work without the battery being charged. You'll still get access to LL for example and park access. You wouldn't have a haptic response however to things. Disney still has to have the tech built in for the RFID to be utilized so not allowing a product that only used RFID doesn't make sense if you're thinking about the bluetooth part.
As I said, IF Disney plans to implement the infrastructure (like- what technology different parts of the system use) DIFFERENTLY at DLR than it works at WDW, then it would make sense for only MB+ to be supported at DLR. Because they do not have a legacy RFID infrastructure to build off of, there is no reason to assume they plan to build the system the same way for DLR. Do I know they're doing it differently? No, of course not. But frankly all of this is conjecture on all of our parts. I was simply trying to suggest a possible reason other than marketing that they might not support older MBs at DLR- that the plan to implement MB+ at DLR could require the other functionality for reasons not currently a factor at WDW.

I don't know why, respectfully, that would make sense since the features that are with RFID will still work without the battery being charged. You'll still get access to LL for example and park access. You wouldn't have a haptic response however to things. Disney still has to have the tech built in for the RFID to be utilized so not allowing a product that only used RFID doesn't make sense if you're thinking about the bluetooth part. I do think the primary reason is just marketing the newer item and my viewpoint while I would complain about not being able to use my MBs would be different if there was already a built in base like there is at WDW where they've had since 2013 to know the guest base on this particular aspect. I can see where you're thinking but they have to have RFID anyways to do the basic stuff..the same stuff that regular MBs do.
The other factor here is the same thing that happens in dev - when you're launching something new, you try to limit your exposure as much as possible. There's no sense in opening yourself up to more potential harm. Accepting MB2 on day one would be significantly opening up their exposure with very few upsides to DLR.

For example, DLR won't be selling MB2 at any point in the near future. Anyone attempting to bring an MB2 to DLR will be a WDW guest, and the band could be as much as eight years old. That's several thousand guests bringing a product that DLR doesn't have and doesn't support, all potentially demanding support if/when it doesn't work. That's also potentially several thousand more guests using as-yet unproven (at DLR) tech during what would arguably be a testing period.

Furthermore, what MB+ can do at DLR will be really limited at DLR at first. If they accept MB2s immediately, the main voices you hear about them in the parks will be people complaining (and telling other DLR guests) about how much you can't do at DLR with them.

All that for something that DLR wouldn't make any money off of.

DLR has every reason to focus on MB+ for the time being. It's a soft launch of MagicBands.

Most DLR buyers will never have used a MagicBand before - and limiting the range of users (ie, excluding the thousands of existing WDW MB2 owners) gives DLR a smaller pool of guinea pigs to help them work out the bugs. And there will certainly be bugs out of the gate (especially at the gate).

Once MB+ is settled tech at DLR, and once DLR can offer their own MB2s (supply of MB2s was an issue earlier in the year), I can't imagine they won't offer and accept MB2s - especially if they start adding more MB-connected features at the parks. People at WDW are spending $45-60 dollars on what amounts to a glorified RFID card (MB2) - they'd be crazy to leave that kind of money on the table.

I don't understand this at all. What could a regular MB help with that a MB+ can't? Why would purchasing a regular MB alleviate the issue, but purchasing a MB+ would not ?
Nothing unless you are going on the assumption that no one is going to pay for MB+ so there won't be enough uptake of them. But if you let all the WDW people who have regular MBs already use theirs than this WILL solve the problem because so many people will already have bands. But I'm not sure this reflects a full understanding of the "unfavorable attendance mix" ;) at DLR and how many of those people would have MB from WDW (or the state of them as brightlined mentioned).

Why? Because:
1 - A design came out that I really liked... and so it will be one of my souvenirs for / from the trip.

I think if I'm being honest, I'll probably end up with multiple if they keep coming out with cool designs. At the moment I'm only interested in the black panther design, but if they made a Moana one or an Aulani version I'd be down!

Very happy with this news as i use my phone way more in DLR than WDW due to lack of magic bands. We just got a batch of MB+ for wdw, assuming and hoping they will work. Staying at Grand Cal in November so let's hope it's a go by then.

Just a note, in wdw the battery does NOT need to be charged for park entry, LL etc, just for the advanced features. Hopefully the same in DLR.

Once MB+ is settled tech at DLR, and once DLR can offer their own MB2s (supply of MB2s was an issue earlier in the year), I can't imagine they won't offer and accept MB2s - especially if they start adding more MB-connected features at the parks. People at WDW are spending $45-60 dollars on what amounts to a glorified RFID card (MB2) - they'd be crazy to leave that kind of money on the table.
Btw - case in point. I mean, it was Disneyland-branded and everything. (I'm kinda curious if DLR might have been the "manufacturer" of this, even though it was sold at WDW - I'm occasionally curious how they do revenue splits for merch.)

(To clear potential confusion: this is WDW band that was sold earlier this year.)

dl-mb.png

Because you can use a regular MB to get into the LL. If the issue is the sheer amount of people using their phones those who already own a MB and those who are more interested in a less fancy MB that gets them the basic stuff and would purchase one are left out at the moment. I'm not sure that's a hard thing to understand.

But I'm not sure this reflects a full understanding of the "unfavorable attendance mix" ;) at DLR and how many of those people would have MB from WDW
Wasn't the unfavorable mix the locals at DLR? If you are wanting to encourage less locals and a guest is looking to reduce the bottleneck you want as many people as you can with a faster way of doing it which at the moment is the sheer amount of people with MBs. As is if I go to DLR I'm becoming part of the problem ;) because I wouldn't be purchasing a MB+, I'd like to be part of the solution :)

The other factor here is the same thing that happens in dev - when you're launching something new, you try to limit your exposure as much as possible. There's no sense in opening yourself up to more potential harm. Accepting MB2 on day one would be significantly opening up their exposure with very few upsides to DLR.

For example, DLR won't be selling MB2 at any point in the near future. Anyone attempting to bring an MB2 to DLR will be a WDW guest, and the band could be as much as eight years old. That's several thousand guests bringing a product that DLR doesn't have and doesn't support, all potentially demanding support if/when it doesn't work. That's also potentially several thousand more guests using as-yet unproven (at DLR) tech during what would arguably be a testing period.

Furthermore, what MB+ can do at DLR will be really limited at DLR at first. If they accept MB2s immediately, the main voices you hear about them in the parks will be people complaining (and telling other DLR guests) about how much you can't do at DLR with them.

All that for something that DLR wouldn't make any money off of.

DLR has every reason to focus on MB+ for the time being. It's a soft launch of MagicBands.

Most DLR buyers will never have used a MagicBand before - and limiting the range of users (ie, excluding the thousands of existing WDW MB2 owners) gives DLR a smaller pool of guinea pigs to help them work out the bugs. And there will certainly be bugs out of the gate (especially at the gate).

I think the point being missed here about the tech aspect is MBs are utilizing less tech than MB+. They are less of a burden to the system. There is nothing to be gained on Disney's side from a tech standpoint of not allowing regular MBs. The RFID is the same stuff as the regular MB which works on MB+ without it being charged and Disney is advertising that.

So if you're confident that the issue is using an unproven tech system at DLR that would not be the case to start with a more cumbersome, system-heavy device that is open to more issues going wrong with it (like not charging, features not working, pairing issues and more). That's the cart before the horse here. If they were wanting to get the system to a point of proven reliability it would be to use more simple tech especially one already shown to work with much more consistency and build from there.

This whole thing I guarantee you would be argued quite the opposite if say they launched today right now with just regular MBs. People would be like why not have MB+ as well at DLR and someone with tech expertise would be telling us why lol.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter