Magic concierge review

ArtemisPhoenix

Mouseketeer
So after several years of considering, and a ridiculous amount of research, I finally talked my husband into trying out concierge. We stayed in a 1 bedroom suite on the Magic. I really wasn’t sure what to expect, since the opinions about whether it is “worth it” or not vary so widely, and the most common explanation of why people do feel it’s worth it usually was something along the lines of “the concierge staff”.
I have to admit, I really was more sold on the bigger room and the idea of being able to order hot breakfast, but really wasn’t sure it would be worth the extra money just for that. We’d never gotten a cabana before and, on paper, I wasn’t sure that expense was going to be worth it either. But I decided that we might as well go for it on one of the less expensive itineraries just to see if we turned out to be concierge people. Having always enjoyed the servers and room stewards, but not to the extent that I would go out of my way to request them again, I really was not sure we would be one of those families that just loved being in the lounge or would ask which concierge crew were onboard even if we decided we did like it enough to do it again, but we went with an open mind.
I have to say, from the very beginning, the experience was pretty fabulous. I’m the one who does ALL the planning in our family. My husband refuses to talk about any vacation plans beyond the general location that we are going to until maybe a week before we leave. This is NOT because he doesn’t care what we do or isn’t picky about all the little details. He absolutely is. More so than I am. But he is completely useless when it comes to planning anything, and gets stressed out by it. So it’s on me. Which can definitely be stressful, especially when it comes to a Disney vacation, which can require a LOT of advance planning and staying up till midnight at multiple points to try to book things.
This time I got a lovely message around 135 days out, telling me that I could send an email at 130 days with any requests and they would do their best to give me what I asked for. They had a number to call with any questions, which I did. The CM was incredibly sweet and helpful, giving me the full schedule of all the tastings, dining rotations, the schedule of the Pirate and Halloween nights, and have me lots of idea of things to request for our room. She was even nice enough to suggest that I write up the email ahead of time and send myself a “test” email, just to get an idea of how quickly my internet would send it, and told me to feel free to send the email multiple times, starting a few seconds before midnight, and going up till a few seconds afterward. She said they are used to getting more than one, because people are doing their best to get their email in right at midnight on the dot, because shoreside takes the requests in the order they come in, starting right AT midnight, and they are in order down to the second. (I only sent mine once😂).
I was in a tiny bit of shock a few days later, at 123 days out, to receive a nice message back, stating that I had received everything I had requested, and that the beverages I’d requested for our fridge would be stocked. We even got a Cabana! I was overjoyed…and then a bit adrift, since I now had next to nothing to do but wait peacefully for our cruise. I honestly don’t think I realized how much I usually stress out, especially as the last couple months go by, as I fret about whether or not we will get what we’re hoping for. Our family are all on the spectrum and being able to let everyone know what to expect, well in advance, with relative certainty was a luxury I hadn’t even known I was missing!
We left out of Miami, so we didn’t get to experience the lounge in Port Canaveral. However, due to a little snafu on the way to the port, we arrived a little later than I had hoped. We walked up right around 11:15, and there was already a huge line. Thanks to someone’s information on here, I knew that there was supposed to be a concierge line somewhere, so I went to the entrance and just asked one of the people who were directing the line where I should go for concierge. He opened the barrier up for us and waved us right on up to the door to the security check. We were out of the heat and through the security area within minutes! Checkin was perfectly smooth, and we were only sitting in the concierge waiting area for about 1 minute before they announced that we could all board. It was amazing. I could feel myself relaxing more and more.
We were ushered into Lumiere’s for a nice, calm lunch. We happened to be seated by the window that looks out at the hallway and I must admit, it felt very nice to be happily eating while so many people were crowding the hallway as they slowly made their way past us. Kemisha came by and introduced herself to us and was so warm and welcoming. Between her and the complimentary champagne, I started to feel like my vacation was already beginning. (My vacation usually doesn’t begin till everything is unpacked, the kids are checked into the clubs, and I’ve spent at least an hour at guest services, ironing out whatever I wasn’t able to sort out beforehand).
By the time we finished lunch, our rooms were ready. The newly upgraded rooms are beautiful! Pictures really don’t do them justice…they are much prettier in person. We had one of the midship suites with the triple long veranda and it was incredible! I can’t believe how much storage space there is in the room! And those robes!! It made unpacking go so quickly and smoothly! Our room steward had our bags at our door minutes after we walked in and I had every single thing in its place and was headed up to the lounge by 2pm. I felt like I was getting away with something crazy being totally finished and on my way to relaxing before the rope was even moved aside for non concierge to come to their rooms.
The lounge is beautiful. I still can’t quite find the words to be able to describe why I loved being there so much. It’s just…inviting. It’s peaceful and just has so many little nooks that are comfortable to sit and enjoy one (or several) of the delicious little snacks they have available all day. And they are SO good! We never went to Cabanas the whole trip. We’d order breakfast to the room in the morning (after I’d run up to grab a latte for my husband and I, of course…the coffee machine is so nice!), and then just snack whenever we got hungry during the day, and then go to dinner. It was really nice because I never had that horribly full feeling I’ve had on previous cruises from eating way too much at the buffet twice a day and then stuffing dinner on top of that. And being able to skip the chaos and noise of Cabanas was heavenly.
But the part that is the hardest to quantify is that amazing concierge team. They truly made this the best vacation I’ve ever had in my life! As a mom, I take care of my family. In my work, I take care of actors. As head of my department, I make sure that they feel good and look good and that every concern they bring to us is handled. I’m not the only department handling them, by any means, but we do our best to make sure that they feel like they are taken care of by us and anything g we can’t handle directly, we make sure someone else handles.
I have never experienced what it feels like to be on the receiving end of that. As a kid, you really have no concept of everything your parents are doing to take care of you. And I’m definitely no celebrity, so I don’t have people waiting on me. This was like a dream. And not only did they make me feel taken care of, they made me feel like family. I didn’t feel like a burden, which is what I was afraid I would feel like. I get uncomfortable usually when people have to do too much for me. I tend to try to clean up the room as much as possible before the room steward comes in. I’m always trying to tidy up my table at restaurants. But somehow they made me feel like it was okay to relax and enjoy my time in there. My husband was so comfortable that he spent most of his time, tucked into a chair in one corner or another. He’d just be there, reading and sipping his coffee. By halfway through the second day, he told me that we would just have to put aside more money so we could go concierge from now on. He said it was the most relaxed he’d ever seen me, and the most relaxed he’d ever felt on a trip.
The cabana was the same. It turned a fun beach day into the most relaxing beach day I’ve ever had. My husband is not a big beach person. He usually is good after about two hours. I grew up in the Pacific Islands and want to spend every minute I can near the water. Having the cabana gave him a place to nap out of the sun, and zero stress of trying to keep whatever beach chair we’d gotten. And I got to relax in my own private hammock! Usually I’m up at the crack of dawn on Castaway day, grabbing breakfast for everyone and then trying to get down to the beach immediately so we can make sure to get chairs and umbrellas in a spot that he will agree to sit for at least half the day. Then I’m running back and forth with the kids to all the things they want to do.
This time we ordered breakfast and waited till around 9:15 when there were no crowds getting off the ship, and calmly made our way to the tram. Once the golf cart took us to the cabana area, we were in our own peaceful little world. Instead of having to run around with the kids, I just called the golf cart and they took them down to the area where the Edge was meeting. That private area of the beach is so quiet…I have pictures that look like we’re the only ones on the island! But since we had Cabana 3, I was able to see my kids playing at Pelican Plunge right from my porch!
I don’t think I really registered just what a big deal all of this was until my husband said it was almost 4 and we needed to get ready to leave. I literally just started to cry. Leaving the cabana meant our vacation was almost over and I just wasn’t ready yet. 4 days is never really enough, but this time it REALLY wasn’t enough! I told Glennys and Mary that night while they were making cocktails for us that I’ve never been this well taken care of, this relaxed…I teared up telling them and they both came and gave me the biggest hugs. I could really fell how much they love what they do and I understand that because I truly love what I do too. But it’s really nice to feel the other side of it for a change.
I’m in awe of that team. Raymond is so funny and makes the most amazing drinks. Risa is so sweet and made my kids the best mocktails every night before dinner. G and Alina and Kemisha made us feel welcome every time we set foot in the lounge and took care of even the smallest concern with such grace. Glennys and Mary felt like friends by the end of the trip. I finally understand why people say they want to see certain team members so much and why they get excited when they hear one of their favorites is going to be on board. I get why you advocate so strongly for them to be tipped well. I’m well and truly converted.
It’s not that the non concierge experience isn’t wonderful. It is. I’d still happily cruise anytime I get the chance even if I couldn’t go concierge. And I’m sure there are plenty of people who wouldn’t feel the way I felt about my experience.
But for me, to be able to have a vacation that actually FEELS like a vacation from start to finish, prep to disembarkation, it’s worth it. To have my husband not have a single complaint the whole time? Worth it. To know that my kids feel comfortable running up to grab a quick snack or drink anytime and felt welcome? Worth it. Watching my daughter’s face light up as she gets to watch the shows from the front row? Being able to really enjoy a beach day all together as a family without feeling like my husband is just putting up with it? So worth it!

G and Alina and Kemisha made us feel welcome every time we set foot in the lounge and took care of even the smallest concern with such grace. Glennys and Mary felt like friends by the end of the trip. I finally understand why people say they want to see certain team members so much and why they get excited when they hear one of their favorites is going to be on board.
So happy you enjoyed Concierge! Yes, it is an addicting cruise experience. And thank you for mentioning G, one of my absolute favorite cruise concierge! We will be on the Magic in November and it will be great to see him again!! :donald:

I could have written this same review. My exact feeling when we sail concierge. They take good care of you and you can totally relax. We never eat in cabans when we sail concierge-the food in there is amazing. We have had cabana 3-isn't it the best?!! It is addicting-we have done a few, when we can and when the season allows for a rate we feel is in our budget. Next year we do a 9 night over in the Med., not in the budget. Will I miss it? Oh yes. But we will still have an amazing time. Glad you enjoyed!!!

We’ve sailed concierge on the majority of our DCL cruises. We just sailed concierge on the Dream in August and, after that cruise, decided it’s the only way we will cruise DCL moving forward. Like you, I’m the planner in the family and concierge does give me a bit of a break from constantly having to handle logistics and problem-solving. It makes the vacation far more relaxing.

I could have written this same review. My exact feeling when we sail concierge. They take good care of you and you can totally relax. We never eat in cabans when we sail concierge-the food in there is amazing. We have had cabana 3-isn't it the best?!! It is addicting-we have done a few, when we can and when the season allows for a rate we feel is in our budget. Next year we do a 9 night over in the Med., not in the budget. Will I miss it? Oh yes. But we will still have an amazing time. Glad you enjoyed!!!
Exactly! Some itineraries it just doesn’t make sense for, and if we do those, I will still love being on the ship and have an amazing time. But I can’t wait to do another cruise in concierge!

What an excellent review! I’ve never really been able to put in to words the non tangible things concierge provides that we enjoy so much and you hit the nail on the head. G and Kemisha are two of the best DCL concierge has! I’m happy to see G back on a ship that isn’t the Wish.

It’s hard to go back to non concierge because you get used to the level of service. But we do go back and forth and find that we still love Disney cruising in a regular room but it’s not quite the same. I’m still trying to convince my husband that we need to book concierge on the Treasure but he’s not that excited about the price due to the number of rooms on the Wish that led to us having a hard time getting a cabana and the level of service wasn’t the same. So we will stick to the original 4 ships for the time being as they provide the best level of concierge service.

What an excellent review! I’ve never really been able to put in to words the non tangible things concierge provides that we enjoy so much and you hit the nail on the head. G and Kemisha are two of the best DCL concierge has! I’m happy to see G back on a ship that isn’t the Wish.

It’s hard to go back to non concierge because you get used to the level of service. But we do go back and forth and find that we still love Disney cruising in a regular room but it’s not quite the same. I’m still trying to convince my husband that we need to book concierge on the Treasure but he’s not that excited about the price due to the number of rooms on the Wish that led to us having a hard time getting a cabana and the level of service wasn’t the same. So we will stick to the original 4 ships for the time being as they provide the best level of concierge service.
That’s the dilemma I’m having about our next cruise. I’d really love to try out the new ships, but the consensus seems to be that they are really made for concierge and might be frustrating otherwise. But the consensus also seems to be that the service is not the same in concierge as it is on the other ships. And the price…yikes! So I’m not sure. Esysince there are other itineraries that I’m more interested in, like Alaska. I kind of think that if I’m going to pay those prices for concierge on the Wish or Treasure, I might as well go concierge for Alaska…smaller ship but bucket list itinerary!
Ah well…it’ll take me a minute before I book the next one anyway, so that just means I get to have fun researching and dreaming about both options. 😂

Glad you enjoyed concierge. I have zero desire to ever try concierge, just doesn't have the value to pay basically double for a cruise. I'd rather go on two cruises.

That said, I am glad that it is there for people that like it.

OP - you hit it. As the DW, DM, and travel agent, this is my vacation where I’m taken care of and the concierge team handles 😉 my family. Glad you had Alina - she is a delight. We’re on the Magic for the first time in April, and I’m looking forward to the classic ship experience.

@ArtemisPhoenix glad you had a wonderful experience. We know concierge isn't for everyone but a great review of why your experience and why it was something for you. Too funny that we all know it isn't for everyone and you even stated that in you post but it had to be shared. Agree it isn't everyone's thing and even your reason to like concierge may not be the same as mine but great to hear your viewpoint.

You had mentioned looking at other ships and itineraries so I'll just comment on one thing, the triple balcony suite. We have been lucky to sailed on a few different DCL concierge, including the Walt Suite, as well as other line's suites. That room is probably one of our top 5 if not top 3. It has plenty of room, slightly unique layout, relatively easy access to the lounge, among other details. The "2 wide" 1 bedrooms do have a different feel, Dream class has rooms pretty close to the lounge for easy access so as you research, try and prioritize what might be important for you on a suite sailing. And happy planning for the future.

Wonderful report. :thumbsup2:thumbsup2 The Concierge Experience once *EXPERIENCED* makes it difficult to not want to repeat in the future.

Glad you enjoyed concierge. I have zero desire to ever try concierge, just doesn't have the value to pay basically double for a cruise. I'd rather go on two cruises.

That said, I am glad that it is there for people that like it.

r.e. bold Being able to experience Cruising at Concierge Level for less than DCL Verandah allows DW and myself more cruising because we do not require the *Disney Experience* any longer

This was an excellent review. I almost wish I hadn’t read it because I have basically convinced myself we’d rather do 2x as many DCL sailings than travel concierge…but almost everything you said about less stress planning, not spending an hour at guest services on boarding, not counting down the seconds to midnight (now several times before the cruise for activity, check-in, and 30 day activities) sounds heavenly. My husband knows the kids and I love Disney, but wishes that we would take more non-Disney cruises because they are so intense for me (whereas I am more relaxed on Regent and Celebrity because there is less to do and less to queue). He sounds less picky than your husband but it makes him nuts that we’re dropping $10k on a Disney cruise and I am not actually relaxed most of the trip.

They had a number to call with any questions, which I did. The CM was incredibly sweet and helpful, giving me the full schedule of all the tastings, dining rotations, the schedule of the Pirate and Halloween nights, and have me lots of idea of things to request for our room.

I’ve always been curious about concierge — even more so after reading your review! Can you provide some examples of what the CM suggested for things to request for you room (beyond dining times, bookings, and such)? I’d love to know more about what you can ask for as part of the experience. Thanks!

I am so glad you all had such a magical cruise! Hope to see you back onboard very soon 💙
Thank you!!! I’ve actually been meaning to message you with pictures from the Royal Gathering, but they’re all on my daughter’s phone and I keep forgetting to get them from her. I wanted to ask if you’d be able to share them with the other friends of all the princesses from that sailing (we were on the Magic from September 18-22), if you are able. I also wanted to tell you that my daughter was SO impressed with ALL the princesses at that event. This was her first time seeing the face characters onboard now that she knows that they are actors. She wasn’t sure if it would feel as magical this time, now that she knows.
But as we walked away from our time with Cinderella, she looked at me with tears in her eyes and said, “Mom, she made me feel so SPECIAL!” She’s more determined than ever to be a CM when she grows up and has her heart set on being friends with a character or two. It was really fun to watch her enjoy the shows and the character meets with her new perspective. Please pass on to any of the CM you know from that ship how very impressed she was with all of them and how inspired she is by the way they do their jobs and make the whole experience so fun and beautiful for all the kids onboard. ❤️❤️❤️

This was an excellent review. I almost wish I hadn’t read it because I have basically convinced myself we’d rather do 2x as many DCL sailings than travel concierge…but almost everything you said about less stress planning, not spending an hour at guest services on boarding, not counting down the seconds to midnight (now several times before the cruise for activity, check-in, and 30 day activities) sounds heavenly. My husband knows the kids and I love Disney, but wishes that we would take more non-Disney cruises because they are so intense for me (whereas I am more relaxed on Regent and Celebrity because there is less to do and less to queue). He sounds less picky than your husband but it makes him nuts that we’re dropping $10k on a Disney cruise and I am not actually relaxed most of the trip.
Lol! Sorry? 😂😂😂 But yeah, I was in the exact same boat. I had read ALL the reviews and had decided that we really didn’t need to be concierge. It was just a random coincidence that made me go for it. My husband and I were both working like crazy and he said one night that I should look for a cruise that we could go on as soon as the films we were each working on wrapped up. But since that was only a month and a half out, all the available sailings were much more expensive than we wanted to pay for just a normal family veranda. So I started looking at the September cruises, which would be right when my next film was supposed to be ending (which, of course went completely sideways with the strike, but still worked out nicely for us, since we weren’t working, so definitely had the time free). Those cruise dates turn out to be the lowest cost cruises of the whole year. And the cost for concierge on that sailing was only a few hundred more than the regular rooms on the sailing we had just been looking at…it was even less than a couple of the dates I had looked at! And then I looked at the 1 bedroom and it was only $1k more than the family veranda concierge room. And STILL less than the most expensive day we’d considered for the regular room (to be fair, this is comparing last minute July to September so, duh…but since we’d already gotten our heads around the thought of paying $8k for a family veranda, $7500 for a midship 1 bedroom was a much easier jump than it would normally be)! I don’t know that we would ever have tried it if it hadn’t been for these exact circumstances. But I’m SO glad we did!

I’ve always been curious about concierge — even more so after reading your review! Can you provide some examples of what the CM suggested for things to request for you room (beyond dining times, bookings, and such)? I’d love to know more about what you can ask for as part of the experience. Thanks!
No problem! We were able to request the kinds of soda and bottled water we wanted our fridge stocked with in the room. Usually canned sodas and bottled water costs extra, but the concierge rooms get it for free. It’s still Coke products, but we were able to get Cherry Coke and Barq’s Rootbeer, and sparkling water, along with chocolate milk and a couple other sodas in our room fridge, which was nice. You can always restock with the sodas and waters from the lounge if you run out, but it was nice to have them in the room waiting for us.
We also were able to ask for child sized robes for our kids, and for specific types of pillows. The Magic doesn’t have the pillow menu that the bigger ships have, but you can request a firmer or fluffier pillow, or a memory foam one. We also requested a lounger for our balcony, since it was extra long. That was very nice to have because it basically gave me my own private sundeck.
You can also ask for specific wines or alcohols to be available in the lounge for the cocktail hours at night. They aren’t going to have crazy expensive stuff, but you can ask them to have port or Skywalker wine or a nicer whiskey. If it’s onboard, they will usually try to accommodate you.
Beyond dining time, you can also request a specific restaurant rotation. We requested to have our pirate night in Rapunezel’s restaurant because it’s my daughter’s favorite, and that meant we would be there two nights and the others just once. We also requested tables with good views of the shows and they gave us excellent seats! We’ve always ended up tucked in a corner with almost no view on other sailings, so that was really nice.
You can also request the Royal Gathering, and specify the day you want. Ours was offered on the sea day and the Nassau day. Booking for it didn’t open up until 30 days before sailing…for ANYONE…except concierge. And apparently, by that time, almost all the spots for the sea day were already gone. Which meant they gave them to concierge. I felt really bad for all the people trying to decide between doing the Royal Gathering and their early morning shore excursion, since the gathering only happens in the morning from 9-10.

Wonderful report. :thumbsup2:thumbsup2 The Concierge Experience once *EXPERIENCED* makes it difficult to not want to repeat in the future.

r.e. bold Being able to experience Cruising at Concierge Level for less than DCL Verandah allows DW and myself more cruising because we do not require the *Disney Experience* any longer
What cruise lines do you prefer and recommend for travel at concierge level?
Any special cruise itineraries you recommend?

Lol! Sorry? 😂😂😂 But yeah, I was in the exact same boat. I had read ALL the reviews and had decided that we really didn’t need to be concierge. It was just a random coincidence that made me go for it. My husband and I were both working like crazy and he said one night that I should look for a cruise that we could go on as soon as the films we were each working on wrapped up. But since that was only a month and a half out, all the available sailings were much more expensive than we wanted to pay for just a normal family veranda. So I started looking at the September cruises, which would be right when my next film was supposed to be ending (which, of course went completely sideways with the strike, but still worked out nicely for us, since we weren’t working, so definitely had the time free). Those cruise dates turn out to be the lowest cost cruises of the whole year. And the cost for concierge on that sailing was only a few hundred more than the regular rooms on the sailing we had just been looking at…it was even less than a couple of the dates I had looked at! And then I looked at the 1 bedroom and it was only $1k more than the family veranda concierge room. And STILL less than the most expensive day we’d considered for the regular room (to be fair, this is comparing last minute July to September so, duh…but since we’d already gotten our heads around the thought of paying $8k for a family veranda, $7500 for a midship 1 bedroom was a much easier jump than it would normally be)! I don’t know that we would ever have tried it if it hadn’t been for these exact circumstances. But I’m SO glad we did!
I completely get it. I have been looking at trying to sneak in a Disney cruise over the kids’ Christmas break, and the shorter sailings on Wish are like 8-11k for a Verandah for 4, and the 5 day Dream sailings are as bad or worse. 😵‍💫 We are now inside the 90 day booking window for almost all of them, so it would be hard to justify spending 10k for a cruise where I’m grouchy we can’t do most of the onboard stuff I like.

If it saw a Concierge room for 8-9k (at a time we could travel) I would be ready to jump on it—but the ones I’ve been looking at for 2024 are well above it.

Thank you!!! I’ve actually been meaning to message you with pictures from the Royal Gathering, but they’re all on my daughter’s phone and I keep forgetting to get them from her. I wanted to ask if you’d be able to share them with the other friends of all the princesses from that sailing (we were on the Magic from September 18-22), if you are able. I also wanted to tell you that my daughter was SO impressed with ALL the princesses at that event. This was her first time seeing the face characters onboard now that she knows that they are actors. She wasn’t sure if it would feel as magical this time, now that she knows.
But as we walked away from our time with Cinderella, she looked at me with tears in her eyes and said, “Mom, she made me feel so SPECIAL!” She’s more determined than ever to be a CM when she grows up and has her heart set on being friends with a character or two. It was really fun to watch her enjoy the shows and the character meets with her new perspective. Please pass on to any of the CM you know from that ship how very impressed she was with all of them and how inspired she is by the way they do their jobs and make the whole experience so fun and beautiful for all the kids onboard. ❤️❤️❤️
I’m like literally crying! Thanks for saying such sweet things! I am glad your daughter still loved meeting characters. Yes please send pics when you get a chance and I’ll pass them on to the other girls as well. We love to see pics of our best friends with special kids we have met! 💙

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter