• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Magic Kingdom DVD - not what expected

cavepig

DIS Veteran
We recently bought the new Magic Kingdom DVD that says "Where Magic Lives"on the front. I had read a post saying it was all new so was excited to get it. We watched it last night and were dissapointed. We noticed there was old footage in it and footage from Disneyland, like Space Mountain. The cars showed 2 people across which is not WDW, but Disneyland. Also it didn't show every attraction.

Also most of the bonus features can only be accessed by watching the film again and watching for a special icon to click to activate the extra stuff - which was still pictures.

The overall quality wasn't top notch either. We have old souvenir tapes, like the old Epcot one which was much better. I even think the old "Follow us to WDW" and "A Dream Called Walt Disney World" were put together better. (We taped this of off the old Disney channel) Sure this had Mickey going on a tour and other characters but the actual ride footage was a let down.

Just wondering what other people thought that have watched this DVD.

Did you get this one:
TPAAAZZZZZZZ1005422.jpg

Or the one in the black case?
The one in the black case is several years old -- sounds like that is what you got.

I rather enjoyed the Magic Kingdom DVD (purple cover). I know some people have complained about the quality of the picture, but as we have a ELDTV (Extremely Low Definition TV), I didn't really notice it.
With all the focus on the characters, it's definitely aimed at younger kids, but I still think it's a cute overview of the parks. The special feature that was most confusing was the horse ride down main street. The horse's rear takes up so much room, you can barely see any buildings... :earseek:

Now, the 4-Park "Where Magic Lives" DVD, on the other hand... I bought these 2 DVDs at the same time, and the WDW one (with the black cover) was a major disappointment. If you think the footage from the Magic Kindom was outdated... whoa... Let's just sey bell bottoms, feathered hair, parachute pants, and/or jelly shoes would not be out of place in much of the footage. (Okay, granted, bell bottoms and feathered hair seem back in style, but you get my meaning...) :p

Doug

Yes Shells9 that is the one I got, the copyright at the end said 2003 and the DVD says 2004 on it

I agree on the horse drawn trolley ride.

My SIL brought this DVD back to us from their trip last week. It's not quite what I expected, but my DDs LOVE it. They have probably watched it 10 - 12 since Monday! It seems to be aimed more towards children or maybe 1st timers to WDW to give them a sense of the attractions.

I am so happy I am not the only one that was disappointed in this DVD.
It did seem really outdated & I noticed showing parts of Disneyland also!!!!

Folks,
Please return your DVDs if you are not satisfied! (The WDW merchandise phone number is (407) 363-6200).
I love WDW to death, but I've seen a decided decline in the quality of the WDW experience over the last 10 years. If we accept their sub-Disney-standard product without voicing our displeasure, they will continue to offer it.

I started a thread about this last week.

The picture quality of this DVD is way below par. Although better than Where Magic Lives DVD (which is also very bad), this DVD is not that much better.

Yes we can always return it to WDW, however, the shipping $$ can't be refunded. At least that's how they 'get' the Canadians.

DVD: US$20, shipping US$25

Oh yeah, making it worse, the Space Mountain segment on the DVD is showing DL SM instead of MK SM.

ps: the bitrate meter averga for MK DVD is only 2 Mbps whereas for most movies to be acceptable (visually) you need an average of 5Mbps. To get best quality, the bitrate should be 9 Mbps.

That means, mathematically, Disney only uses no more than 20% of the available space.

Very amateurish.

oh I can soooooo go on about this.

Sorry, FatCow didn't realize you had already posted on this.

Thanks to those who replied. Nice to see I'm not the only who was dissapointed. I'm glad some of you enjoyed it though.

Hopefully they'll come out with a good DVD one of these days. For now I'll stick to watching our own videos and old videos that are outdated, but at least enjoyable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter